Not seeing 100 Mbs down on Standard Tier

TomLTomL Posts: 6 ✭✭
in Connectivity Sep 17, 2020

I have activated a Spectrum approved Motorols MB7220 and am only seeing 20 Mbs down and

2 Mbs up. I checked my Spectum account for internet equipment and the MFR field shows unknown

and the Model shows COMODAWGD3 instead of my MB7220.

Wnat can I do to get the promised performance?

Tagged:

Accepted Answers

• TomLTomL Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Sep 19, 2020 Accepted Answer

I have tried to contact Spectrum tech support twice about this issue. The average wait time listening to music is about 35 minutes. Once answered, the tech sends the 'magic bullet' to reset my hardware in their system. I use VoIP for my phone, so this drops the connection. I get upset when redialing the Customer Service number and need to wait another 30+ time to tell the techie that the reset command did not fix my problem. I don't have Facebook or Twitter on my flip phone, so that solution is a non-starter. My cellphone service is 'pay by the minute'. A 30+ minute costs me money.

Sep 19, 2020 Accepted Answer

Yes, I have registered it properly. This Motorola cablemodem replaced another one and I had to call the support line number to move the previous MAC address to the one on this cablemodem. I have returned the settings on this one back to factory default, powered it off and on and it took about 10 minutes for the Spectrum system to force grabing a new configuration file. I logged into this cable modem and it shows 8 channels down and 4 channels up.. The old cablemodem that died was a Docsis 2.1 Motorola SB-5101 that I purchased to replace the same model cablemodem that was issued by Time Warner. They started charging a monthly fee, so I bought a new one and had it activated by TWC. I needed a new cablemodem, so I bought one that was on the Spectrum approved list and had it activated.

I looks like the Spectrum system doesn't have the provisioning correct for my account on their end.

Sep 20, 2020 Accepted Answer

Yes, I have registered it properly. This Motorola cablemodem replaced another one and I had to call the support line number to move the previous MAC address to the one on this cablemodem. I have returned the settings on this one back to factory default, powered it off and on and it took about 10 minutes for the Spectrum system to force grabing a new configuration file. I logged into this cable modem and it shows 8 channels down and 4 channels up.. The old cablemodem that died was a Docsis 2.1 Motorola SB-5101 that I purchased to replace the same model cablemodem that was issued by Time Warner. They started charging a monthly fee, so I bought a new one and had it activated by TWC. I needed a new cablemodem, so I bought one that was on the Spectrum approved list and had this one activated.

Replies

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17 Sep 17, 2020

That looks more like a legacy TWC tier... something may have gone wrong with the provisioning process.

Have you tried resetting it to factory defaults to force it to pull a new config file? They may need to reprovision the modem if polling the config again does not set things straight.

If that does not resolve it, does this happen across devices, regardless of how you connect? (wifi for mobile devices, wired/wireless for computers, wired directly to modem).

If it is not across the board, will need to focus on relevant elements.

For example, if this is isolated to a windows system you may need to reset the stack on that troubled device, which can be done with a free TCP Optimizer tool at speedguide.net.

Sep 18, 2020

I reset the Motorola cable modem back to factory defaults. I powered up the device and waited about 10 minutes for the internet light to stop flashing. I ran the Spectrum speedtest and received the same results of 20 MBs down and 2 MBs up. I took the cablemodem outside and connected it to the wire from the pole that feeds cable to the house and also received the same results. Only my laptop and the cablemodem were connected, nothing else. There were no splitters, switches or routers in line. My laptop NIC is a 10-100-1000. My account equipment still shows the MFR as Unknown and the Model as Comodaw GD3. It looks like the system did not see me.

😕

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 49 MOD
    Sep 18, 2020

Good afternoon TomL!

Seeing the COMODAWGD3 in the app instead of the model information when you are using your own modem is fairly common. It is just a code we use when adding the equipment to the account to show that it's a customer owned modem as opposed to one that we are providing. Since you would only be able to restart the modem through the app and we have no other access, the model information doesn't always pull through. It is a code we use for our legacy accounts though, so I would recommend reaching out to us via social media on Twitter or Facebook Messenger so we can check to make sure that the account is provisioned for the correct speeds for you.

edited September 18 Sep 18, 2020

@TomL

As a general rule, may also want to test at the regular speedtest.net site for a comparison. Sometimes the in-house test gives weird results.

With the "hard" limit you seem to be hitting, it sounds like a provisioning issue that you need to call in and get corrected. Appears they are flagging you with a generic customer owned modem label and it is also restricting you to an older tier they don't even offer anymore.

Sep 19, 2020

You will have to give them the details off the modem like MAC address/serial number to confirm it is registered properly... be that over the phone or through some form of private messaging.

Need to be clear with them that you have already tried resetting it to defaults locally, and they already tried a reset on their end.

Once they have verified the information is correct, if the problem persists they may want to send someone on-site for a more hands-on approach to test with their own hardware.

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 21, 2020

When you register a new modem with Spectrum you need to provide the 12-digit MAC ID of the new modem. Do NOT try to transfer or clone the number of your previou modem. That MAC ID number must match up with the manufacturer code of the modem device you tell them you will be utilizing. The MAC ID number has nothing to do with the IP addresses on your home LAN. Those are assigned by the router.

Sep 22, 2020

When this modem was activated over the phone by Spectrum, I provided the MAC address of the NEW Motorola cable modem. I know the difference between an IP address and a MAC address. The MAC address is printed on the bottom of the cablemodem. Once the tech typed in the MAC address of the new device, the old one went off line and the new one came on line. The new cablemodem has been functioning for several months. My only problem is with the 20 MBs speed instead of the 100 MBs standard speed that I am paying.

This discussion has been closed.