Frequent internet drops throughout the day.

HB128HB128 Posts: 13 ✭✭✭
edited September 24 in Connectivity Sep 24, 2020

Warm greetings!

I've been having frequent drops on my internet, and I am running out of ideas on what should be my next steps in troubleshooting. In following the format prescribed - here are the details

1) Description - frequent internet drops for about 5 seconds throughout the day. It has been occurring for the last two weeks.

2) Zip code - 92648

3) Home type - Single family home

4) Service - Internet only. Originally at 400Mbps, with my own modem - Motorola MB7420. Tried it with Spectrum Hitron EN2251 as well. Downgraded to 200Mbps to see if it would make a difference(negative).

5) Own modem - Motorola MB7420, and Spectrum Hitron EN2251

6) Speedtest -

1) Firmware - Motorola MB7420 - 7420-5.7.1.19

2) Modem is online

3) Logged into my Account - Manufacturer - Unknown, Model - COMODD3 - can not find the MAC

4) My connections are hardwired - from my PC to my Netgate(Pfsense) to modem.

5) Signal - I've used the Motorola modem since I can not get into the Hitron to provide meaningful details

6) Technician have already came out, and replaced the outside cable from the junction box to my house. Came inside, and snipped the ends at the wall, and put in new connectors. Then also did the same for the cable from the wall to the modem(replaced the connectors). He ran the test and confirmed that the signal is good.

So basically, what we have done is

1) Restarted, rebooted the modem

2) Rebooted the router

3) Swap out modem

4) Swapped out cable between modem and router

5) Change speed/duplex setting on router(auto, 1000 Full TX, 1000 Full TX Master).

6) Change the internet plan from 400Mbps down to 200Mbps

7) There is no power issue. The router & modem are plugged into the same power strip. The router shows that it has been up for days/hours, while the modem page - show System Up Time to coincide with the recent network drop.

8) Factory defaulted the modem.

I feel like it's the signal - but how to prove that. What should I ask the technician to test if a service call is needed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• HB128HB128 Posts: 13 ✭✭✭
    Sep 24, 2020

Sorry - can we move this to "Connectivity" sub forums? I did not see the category when I submitted the question - and I can't figure out how to move the question into the appropriate section.

Sep 24, 2020

Just had another drop this morning.

Sep 24, 2020

And the associated Event Log.

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 24, 2020

A bit concerned about the channels you are locking at the start. The levels look good enough... but it should initially lock a contiguous block of channels, not jumping around like that right out the gate. It may replace some as needed after a little uptime, but only 1 minute in they should pretty much be the original group of 16 channels.

Something may be up outside or further upstream.... but you may want to go through your lines as best you can to make sure all connections look clean and are slightly more than just finger tight.

Will want an on-site tech to go through things to make sure it isn't an issue on your side of the pedestal. Once all is confirmed good on that end, if things persist they will need to escalate it to another team to check the pedestal and further out.

In the short term, try to keep an eye on the four upstream levels. If they are bouncing around a lot, it may be something more than just bad connections. Too much noise will cause the modem to ramp up those power levels to be heard at the head end--if it crosses 51, it may automatically reboot in an effort to lock better channels.

Sep 24, 2020

Thanks for the response. Sorry I'm not familiar with reading the diags. Can you point out which Event Log or Connections stats - that would indicate that the modem is not locking a contiguous block of channels?

I'll keep an eye out on the 4 upstream channels. It has been holding steady ~44.

Below are the latest snapshot with the recent reboot in the last 30 minutes.

edited September 24 Sep 24, 2020

@HB128

Downstream Channels.

Initially it should grab a straight range of channels, like 1-16, 4-20, 17-32.

Not necessarily in exact order, but the range of the block.

After it is up for a while, it may rescan channels to find a cleaner one, but just after the reboot it should grab a contiguous block.

Should note that it may not actually be fully rebooting sometimes. If a downstream channel goes off the reservation it will go into a brief pseudo reboot phase, where it just locks new downstream channels. This cycle is usually pretty quick, but may seem like an eternity when you NEED it to be working.

If the downstream power levels ramp up too high, this WILL trigger a full reboot though--all the lights go out, just like if you pulled power and restarted it. This can also be triggered by intermittent loose connections.

I bring up the distinction just so you can be aware of the different behaviors so you can pass along more specific details of how it is resetting to support... it may clue them in to potential issues to look for.

Oct 01, 2020

Thanks for the info. On Monday - I was able to schedule an appointment for the field technician to come out tomorrow, and I will relay these information to him. Still happening a few times a day. I've noticed that it is a full reboot - whereby it would take about 90 seconds to come back up.

Oct 05, 2020

Technician came out - and tested the signal from street to my house panel and said it looked good. He then ran a cable test from the house panel to the inside cabling toward the bedroom - and said the signal looks good with a very slight degradation. He said the intermittent issue is most likely due to that. Since we also have a another run to the master bedroom - he tested that line - and it showed it was much cleaner.

So the options were to move the cable modem from the bedroom to the master bedroom, or maybe run a new cable into the garage which is on the other side of the wall.

I opted for option #1 hoping for the best. While it might look a little bit better, I'm still experiencing modem reboot throughout the day. I'm willing to buy a newer modem, but I don't want to spend the money if it's not going to solve my problem. In the original bedroom, I experienced drops/reboot both with my modem, and the Spectrum modem.

Any suggestions on the next step?

• misterjmisterj Posts: 118 ✭✭✭✭
    Oct 05, 2020

HB128, I would suggest testing with a modem from your ISP and see if it helps. If it does but they charge for a modem, then buy a new one. I suggeset your get a DOCSIS 3.1 for future protection. Enjoy, John.

Oct 05, 2020

I'll try swapping the modem tonight - after working hours. The only problem with their modem - is that they lock it out - so I'm not able to gather the diagnostics as posted above.

Oct 05, 2020

Thanks, HB128. I bought an Arris SB8200 for this very reason. I think this is useful for an experiment. Please let us hear. Enjoy, John.

edited October 5 Oct 05, 2020

@HB128

You still have too much of a mismatch in your channel assignments... pointing to a signaling/congestion issue they need to address.

In only 4 hours, roughly half have been reassigned.

That should NOT be happening.

4 weeks... sure... but only 4 hours? ... something is off with the signaling.

edited October 15 Oct 15, 2020

Well, a different technician came out the third time around, and performed the usual test - and said everything is looking clean, both from the street, and the inhouse cabling.

I had even went back to the Spectrum store and switched out the Spectrum modem, Hitron EN2251. Unfortunately, they only carry the Hitron brand in their store. Of course, I went back and hooked up the brand new modem, and over the course time, the same issue was occurring.

So we have gone through (2) Spectrum EN2251, and my personal Motorola MB7420 - and all three experienced the same issue. In desperation, yesterday afternoon, I spent $200 for a Netgear CM1200 at the local Best Buy so see if that would help.

Happy to report that it has been stable for the last 18 hours. I can't believe I had suffered close to a month of this - while I could have just solved it by spending $200. Hopefully this is the fix. The channels are lining up now - even after 18 hours.

Appreciate the help.

edited October 15 Oct 15, 2020

I've edit the previous post to say the correct model of the modem is Netgear CM1200.

Moral of the story - just buy your own modem and don't rely on the free one(now I know why it's free).

Oct 15, 2020

HB128, I had the Ubee version and it worked fine. I have only 200 Mbps - what do you have? I looked at a number of problems like yours and suspect that some ISP's are not implementing DOCSIS 3.1 properly. Please let us hear if you start having problems. Thanks and enjoy, John.

Oct 15, 2020

When the problem first started - I was 400/20. In the course of troubleshooting - I downgraded to 200/10 to see if it would have helped. No dice - I still experienced the issue across all 3 modems.

I went back to 400/20 since I needed a bit more upload speed. Same problem - until yesterday when I replaced it with my newly purchased Netgear CM1200.

Thanks

Oct 15, 2020

Thanks much, HB128. Enjoy, John.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,402 Lead Mod
    Oct 16, 2020

@HB128 Are things still going well with the Netgear?

Would like to hear how that is going, if problems have returned or still doing well.

Julia_R

Oct 16, 2020

Yes, it has been great! No issues for the last day and a half. I forget what it is like to have stable internet - and to be able to get back to work - and not having it drop out during conference calls. I'm so used to informing participants at the start of my calls - that I'm having intermittent issues - and if they don't hear me - just wait for a bit, and I'll rejoin.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,402 Lead Mod
    Oct 17, 2020

@HB128 Excellent to hear!

Hope you are having a good weekend!

Julia_R

This discussion has been closed.