Updated Cable boxes for Home Theater Setup

jurymanjuryman Posts: 19 ✭✭✭
edited September 16 in TV Equipment Aug 28, 2020

I currently have a Spectrum101 box as part of my home theater setup. It is the oldest piece of equipment, since I have recently updated my receiver, television and AV cables.

Would an update to the cable box improve resolution and picture quality? The biggest complaint that I have is pixilation when watching sporting events such as soccer and football. My TV is capable of a high refresh rate (240 Hz) and my HDMI cables are all listed as "high speed". The cable box is connected to the HT receiver as is the TV.

Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Replies

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,414 Lead Mod
    Aug 29, 2020

Good morning!

The 101, 201,110 and 210 are the new boxes. Do you see the same issue if you bypass the receiver and

go straight to the TV?

Do you see issues on other channels as well?

Julia_R

• jurymanjuryman Posts: 19 ✭✭✭
    Aug 30, 2020

If Im watching talking heads on a news channel then you wont see pixilation because the motion is not fast enough. Bypassing the receiver would mean an additional cable to carry the audio portion of the feed through the stereo. Point of the HDMI is to carry both the audio and video on a single cable.

Sep 03, 2020

There may be a signal issue to the cable box that is causing this.

Do you also have internet with us? The modems are generally on the first connection/splitter

inside the house. Taking a look at signal levels there may help us determine what is going on.

Do you have any other cable boxes in the home or just the one?

Julia_R

Sep 03, 2020

I do have internet with Spectrum and I also have a second cable box. Cisco 8742 DVR.

Sep 04, 2020

On the second box do you notice the same issue? If you can login to your modem and post the signal page and FEC information we can take a look and see if there are signs of what the issue may be.

Julia_R

Sep 05, 2020

I never really paid attention to the second box. I mainly watch sports on the other TV with the Spectrum101 cable box.

Could you please tell me how to log into my modem so I can provide the signal information?

Thank You.

Sep 05, 2020

We can get that information for you. What is the make and model of the modem?

Julia_R

Sep 06, 2020

Modem is Ubee DVW32CB

edited September 6 Sep 06, 2020

Type 192.168. 100.1 (the default IP to access the admin interface) in the address bar of your internet browser to access the router's web-based user interface.

If this does not work you can also try 192.168.0.1

You will want to be connected directly to the modem via Ethernet to do this.

The username and password should be on a sticker on the bottom of the device.

Julia_R

Sep 07, 2020

I am not sure what you mean by FEC Info and I do not have a signal page. I have a connection page which I would guess is the same thing. I have attached a screen shot.

I also figured Id list the HW and SW revs in case the modem may need a firmware update.

HW- 3.26.2

SW- 9.40.2121h1

BTW, access to the admin GUI was extremely slow as was moving from screen to screen. I had to hit refresh several times before I could get the connection page to show.

Thank You.

Sep 10, 2020

Another issue that has developed, that may be related to bandwidth, is the slow response to channel changing I get from time to time on my Cisco DVR box. Or, sometimes the channel does not come on and shows unavailable, only to work several seconds later.

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,459 ADMIN
    Sep 14, 2020

We sent you a private message to set up a service call to resolve this issue. Please let us know if the issue is not resolved after the technician visit.

Thanks!

Sep 14, 2020

Yes. Thank You. Awaiting the technician visit. Still has not been scheduled.

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,459 ADMIN
    Sep 16, 2020

We sent you a private message with details about the service call. Let us know if the issue is not resolved.

Sep 18, 2020

Service call was completed yesterday. Unfortunately the issue that I wrote about in forum was not resolved. Yet another issue developed as a result of the service call. The technician (excellent young man with excellent customer service btw) found some minor issues with the signal strength coming into the house. Replaced some cable ends and was to replace the cable box with a newer, more updated version of the Spectrum100. This one even had a radio remote, not IR remote, which would have made a big difference for me since all my equipment is behind a wall, hidden from view. I use a IR extender to get the remote signal from the front of the TV to the back where all my equipment is. Worked great with old box. When new box was hooked up and tech began to configure, I immediately saw a difference. HOWEVER he could not get all the channels I subscribe to, to show up. Worked with home office to attempt to rectify and home office gave up and told him to install YET ANOTHER cable box. This was an older Cisco unit. Configured it and left. The problem with pixilation remains, in addition to a new problem. My IR extender NO LONGER WORKS. I have spent the entire night tonight trying everything to get the IR extender to work like it did with the original box. Nothing.

I want the original, more updated Spectrum box that he was supposed to leave, because it looked like it would have solved my issue.

What do I have to do to make that happen?

Sep 26, 2020

This chain of posts that I started shows that my problem has been answered. As you can see by my previous posting, not only has the issue NOT been resolved, the problem has gotten worse. My cable DVR box was also replaced with a technicolor box. Now I get SLOW response, momentary picture freezes and pixilation. I have rebooted, unplugged, tried every thing suggested and the problem does not go away.

Oct 06, 2020

Update to the main DVR box issue. Replaced it AGAIN this past weekend with a Spectrum 201. Unfortunately, no more clock but at least this DVR seems to respond much better. Although, in the first day of having it, I had to reboot it because the Spectrum Guide will not display. Reboot solved the problem. Hoping for the best.

This discussion has been closed.