Large box with closed captioning

IdKidIdKid Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 17 in TV Equipment Oct 17, 2020

How do you eliminate the very large box that appears with closed caption on demand?

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,832 helper
    Oct 17, 2020

Hello,

Some of the program guides have captioning settings in Display options. A word of advice, Write down your settings defaults and save them before you make ANY changes and save them on your computer or device. It is very easy to forget your default settings and you may wind up with something uglier than you had before if you make changes. I have a few questions:

1.) Was this Closed-Captioning large box always there?

2.) What is the make and model of your cable box?

3.) Can you post a screenshot for us of what you see? It sounds like you will need to find a setting that turns off the background color, What color is the captioning background?

Satch

• IdKidIdKid Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Oct 19, 2020

No, the large box appeared recently.

It is a Spectrum box - no model number found.

The background of the captioning is red - it was black before that.

Here is a pic -

edited October 20 Oct 20, 2020

Is the problem only on the On Demand Channels with the red box?

I would start by rebooting your box. If that doesn't work, find your Closed-Captioning settings and see if there is an option to change the red background to black.

If that doesn't work, or you can't find the setting, I would get a tech out, suspecting in that case that something is wrong with your box. The border in that picture should not be anywhere near that huge!

Satch

• IdKidIdKid Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Oct 21, 2020

No, it is on other viewing also but not as much. I have tried re-booting and changing the closed caption settings on both the Spectrum remote and the TV remote which also controls closed captioning. It's a Sony Bravia TV, but not new.

I have tried everything! I'm pretty annoyed with Spectrum at this point.

Oct 21, 2020

You should not have to change anything on the TV remote for closed-captioning through a Spectrum Cable Box. All closed-captioning should be done through the box. I would get a tech out to check this.

Satch

• connie91505connie91505 Posts: 1
    Oct 27, 2020

I have the same problem. The actual captioned words take up maybe 1/3 of the huge box covering the screen.

• JoanL_S1JoanL_S1 Posts: 1
    Oct 28, 2020

I have the same problem. The captions are huge on all stations ever since I got a new box! I went to captioning and tried to change the size, etc. but nothing worked. The setting options are very confusing! Is there a guide to the settings?

edited October 28 Oct 28, 2020

Hello All!

What are the makes and models of boxes that are causing the Big Box on Closed-Captioning? We need this information, and please also post your City, State, and Zip, so that an investigation into this topic can begin. We need to find out the following:

1..) Is this issue coming from only one brand or model of box?

2.) Is this model coming from one or more than one Spectrum CATV city, state, zip, service location?

3.) For everyone having this issue, does this happen on only some CATV box programing or all CATV box programing?

4.) How often does this issue happen? What makes it go away? What makes it come back? How long before it comes back?

5.) If you can post screenshots, this will help as well.

Thanks!

Satch

This discussion has been closed.