Gigabit speeds vary wildly

NicholasBrennanNicholasBrennan Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited October 13 in Connectivity Oct 13, 2020

I live in Worcester MA. I am on the gigabit plan. My speeds are ranging from 940 down to 100mebait. It is not my signal levels or my equipment. This morning I did a speedtest and got 943 down. I just did one tonight and am getting 137 down. The speed test I am doing this to is a Charter server within the Oxford headend. I can see the speed go up to 940 but it never stays there. It always comes down. Rarely it will max out at 940. Is this a limitation of the network? I used to get 40 up now it's at 35 up.

I know the line can do a giga. I was downloading files last night at 111MB/s. It works but it just seems like the line cannot sustain the speeds. Something is throttling it. My equipment is multiple known brand new good Intel gig cards and different cat6 cabling. And the techs Checking my signal levels. For whatever reason, the line speed for me are all over the place. Just did another test and got 802 down and 32 up. It used to peg solid at 40. Now that is varies.

Best Answer

Replies

• NicholasBrennanNicholasBrennan Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited October 14 Oct 14, 2020

So about 45 minutes ago I was getting 130s 140s down. Now I am getting 800down. Ran another test and it was at 900 down. Then it drops to 500 and 400. Now my upload won't go above 30 when it was pegging at 40 nonstop throughout all of this.

What would cause this? Amplifier on the line? Line outside itself is bad? Network not being upgraded to handle a gig? This speed test is on the ookla app to an internal server in Spectrums headend in Oxford, MA.

• misterjmisterj Posts: 119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15 Oct 14, 2020

NicholasBrennan, I do not know why Spectrum says 940 Mbps, but expect to never exceed that. One detail people seem to miss is the speed of the HDD on their machine. 940 Mbps is about 117 MBps and many HDDs cannot handle it. This could explain the slowing speed but most likely it is the server. I would recommend using www.nperf.com and select a 10 Gbps server close by. Enjoy, John.

Posted this on the other forum you commented in.

Now I am getting 907/38.

This morning I hit 943 down. Any of the techs on here know why my speeds are bouncing like this? from 100meg up to 943. The server is stable for the speed test.

Technically, what could be going wrong?

Getting 918 down but now upload isn't pegging at 40 like it used to. Now upload is 30 to 35. Before it was solid 40. I know during the night the speeds are going to tank again to the low 100s. No idea.

And again at 11pm I am getting 800 meg and maxing out my upload again. The plan is unstable as all heck.

I have a pcie nvme ssd benchmarked at speeds of over 3000mb/s reads 2800mb/s writes. I work in network operations and have had a career in systems engineering for 20+ years. I really thank you for trying to help. You are a good person. Line tech is coming Thursday. Like the techs that came before, I just think sales is cutting gigabit checks that support can't cash.

It's 100% Charters network. Sorry. Take care!

Oct 14, 2020

Thanks, NicholasBrennan. Have you tried the speed test I recommended - www.nperf.com? Enjoy, John.

Oct 14, 2020

Yes I tried nperf. Same results. Thanks for rec that site. Pretty cool.

When I was on the ultra tier...like 5 days ago. I would non stop max out at 460/20. 24/7.

Gigabit just can't do that. I occasionally hit 940 but very late at night. Speeds I am getting bounce from 100meg to 400 to 700. I can't justify paying Spectrum the price I am for the performance they are delivering. If the tech can't do anything. I am just going to go back to 400meg. Seems the network can handle that better.

Oct 14, 2020

NicholasBrennan, it is really hard to comment with no data (signal levels and SNRs) from within your modem. Please ask the technician to look at your statistics and take a screenshot and post it here so we can make an informed comment. When DOCSIS 3.1 first came out it was very clear that some ISPs had real problems with it. Users would run great for a while (few days) then get into a continuous set of these kinds of problems. I suspected that it was an error recovery problem. DOCSIS 3.1 allows OFDM (Orthogonal Frequency Domain Modulation, new modulation) to downgrade to Quadrature Amplitude Modulation (QAM, older) when a lot of errors occur. If you downgrade to 400 Mbps but keep the same modem you may have the same problem. If so get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem from them and see it that fixes it. What modem did your previous 400 Mbps use? Thanks and enjoy, John.

Oct 15, 2020

I used the Motorolla E31U2V1 modem. Same one.

Oct 15, 2020

NicholasBrennan, I used to have the same modem model but it was made by Ubee. As I understood it Spectrtum had this modem manufactured by Ubee, Hitron and Technicolor. Mine had the same model as yours but said Ubee on the label. Yours must say Motorola. Enjoy, John.

Oct 18, 2020

So after the regular tech came and did all he could, replaced splitter and wiring, now I am getting 200 to 300 mbps. I am not paying Spectrum 120$ + for gigabit and them delivering 200meg. Since a regular tech came out here already, is there anyway to have them send a line tech this time? Or a supervisor that can check my path to the headend? This is nutso.

Oct 21, 2020

Filed a complaint to the FCC. Spoke with a supervisor in operations and the field operations manager called me. I am going to ask him why, like others have reported, are my speeds slow. I can get 900 at times. But most of the time its 200 400 500 and 600. The speeds just can't be sustained at a gigabit. Thankfully I am not alone with gigabit being slow and sporadic. See what he says.

This discussion has been closed.