Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Why did my modem take so long to re-boot?

debodundebodun Posts: 63 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2020 in Connectivity Dec 24, 2020

I've re-booted my modem (Motorola SB 5101) before, so I am familiar with how long it usually takes. I decided it was due for a re-boot. I waited and waited and the online light just kept blinking for about 5 minutes which is excessively compared to prior experience . Even after that, it re-booted by itself a few minutes later and still took a long time before the PC activity light came on. Today it seemed slow, Web pages took a long time to load and display graphics. My system has a Windows 7 - 64 bit OS.

Accepted Answers

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Dec 25, 2020 Accepted Answer

Your modem is so old and out of date that it is no longer approved for use on Spectrum's network. Chances are that Spectrum's local head-end server loaded your modem with generic semi-compatible code, but you should immediately make plans about what new model of DOCSIS 3.0 or 3.1 modem you are going to buy yourself for Christmas (You might have also heard that Windows7 is no longer supported by Microsoft).

• misterjmisterj Posts: 193 ✭✭✭✭
    Dec 25, 2020 Accepted Answer

debodun, my new Arris DOCSIS 3.1 SB8200 says W10, W8 and Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1). I would think most current modems will work with W7. Enjoy, John.

Replies

• debodundebodun Posts: 63 ✭✭✭✭
    Dec 25, 2020

Will Windows 7 be compatible with a new modem?

Dec 26, 2020

Will a new modem work automatically, or is some installation required?

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Windows 7 SP1 is still usable, but it does not receive Microsoft security updates. The original release of Windows 7 may not be compatible with newer apps and games which were written for the Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 world. When purchasing software or downloading from a web siite, check that the authors wrote it to run on old Windows 7 without the Service Pack 1 update. But if/when you buy a new Windows PC, expect it to come with Windows 10 pre-installed by the manufacturer. Some folks are still plodding along with Windows XP (or even older OS versions), but their hardware components are failing and they can't run all the new fancy games.

Your computer doesn't connect directly to the modem, there's a router in between. The newer modem will be set up automatically when you register it with Spectrum and connect it to the cable.. Your router parameters should stay exactly the same, no issues about a Win7 ethernet driver not liking your newer modem. If your existing computer has a 100 Mbps ethernet port today, going to Win 10 won't speed it up to Gigabit, nor will it slow down..

Jan 20, 2021

Is there a service charge for a tech to come to my house and install a new modem and make sure it's working properly?