Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Tv receiver reset

Don48624Don48624 Posts: 3 ✭✭
in TV Equipment May 30, 2021

When I try to reset my tv receiver remotely using the myspectrum app (android and iOS) the app goes through the motions, then says the receiver was reset, but I see nothing change on my tv.

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    May 30, 2021

Hello Don,

A question, is what problem(s) are you having that would require a reset of your Spectrum receiver? If the issue is breaking up of picture or sound, the first cause of that would be a signal or line problem. If this keeps happening, you would need to contact Spectrum for a signal and drop line test. Than when the tech visits, tune to the channel causing the break up, so that the tech can take a signal reading.

New boxes or other types of equipment swaps won't fix signal issues, Signal issues are fixed by inside and outside wiring and line replacements, or fixing problems in your node. If your On Demand channels are repeatedly slow and non-responsive, this would be a sign of signal problems, which would be resolved as to their cause with a signal and drop line test.

On a conventional Spectrum receiver reboot, there is no message or anything that changes on the TV screen.

Satch

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭
    May 30, 2021

The App reset for the cable boxes is not a hard reboot type of reset. Not seeing it reboot is not a symptom of something wrong.

What sorts of problems are you having that you are trying to correct with a signal to the box? If you can provide some additional info we can figure out where to go from here.

Julia_R

• Don48624Don48624 Posts: 3 ✭✭
    May 30, 2021

The problem I am having is that once a week, sometimes more, my cable box stops accepting commands from my remote. I’ll be changing the channel, or scrolling through the guide, and nothing happens. It doesn’t matter which button I press, whatever was on the screen stays there. I used to have two cable boxes, and both did the same thing. When I press a button on the remote, I can see the blue light on the cable box react, but no response. Using a different remote doesn’t make a difference. In order to get the box to work, I have to power off the box, wait 30 seconds, then reporter the box. That works every time, but it is a real pain and it isn’t a suitable thing to have to do every week. I had hoped that the remote reset would break up what is happening.

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    May 31, 2021

The problem I am having is that once a week, sometimes more, my cable box stops accepting commands from my remote. I’ll be changing the channel, or scrolling through the guide, and nothing happens. It doesn’t matter which button I press, whatever was on the screen stays there. I used to have two cable boxes, and both did the same thing. When I press a button on the remote, I can see the blue light on the cable box react, but no response. Using a different remote doesn’t make a difference. In order to get the box to work, I have to power off the box, wait 30 seconds, then reporter the box. That works every time, but it is a real pain and it isn’t a suitable thing to have to do every week. I had hoped that the remote reset would break up what is happening.

Hi Don,

Since you describe another remote doing the same thing, and another cable box doing the same thing, you should definitely call Spectrum for a tech visit for a signal and drop line test. There is something going on with old wiring or your drop line either inside or outside the home causing this. You need your signals and drop line checked. Specify this when you call.

The dead giveaway is the different equipment is causing the same issues. When the boxes/modems get rebooted, the signals get reset and than, if there is a signal or line problem, about 3-7 days later, you will get a non-responsive box and/or a pixilated picture. This is not something that will be resolved over the phone or through a Spectrum Social Media account. You need to set up a service call appointment.

Do you use splitters? this can reduce signal strenth by up to nintey percent. Do you have Internet service from Spectrum? Is that stable? Sometimes signal and line problems can show up on as little as one or two channels. Other times, more areas across the network. Bad weather, animal chews, aging lines both inside and outside the home can cause this. You DVR if you have DVR service may miss recordings, and of course, the weekly unresponsiveness of the remote all can be indicators of a signal or line problem. Set up your service call to address this issue.

I would also tune to a free On Demand channel when the tech is there. That is often, (but not always) one first indicator of a signal or line problem.

Satch

• Don48624Don48624 Posts: 3 ✭✭
    May 31, 2021

Great answer, Satch, and something I will call about. I have a TiVo attached through a splitter and never had a problem signal wise with the cable card interface (except for the slight time delay that’s always there). No problem with internet. What is strange is that if I am changing a channel when the problem happens, the picture is fine—no pixelation or sound issues. I thought it was a software glitch in the cable box—and it still might be, even if a signal level drop is what triggers the problem. After I pull the plug on the box for a minute, when it first powers up, the picture comes up on the screen for a couple seconds, then it powers down until I press the power button. It seems like a disconnect between the receiver and the remote input processing.

anyway, I’ll give their service a call and see what happens.

thanks again.

This discussion has been closed.