Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

SB8200 Firmware update

corecore Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited June 4 in Home Networking Jun 04, 2021

So I brought my modem from a previous Xfinity setup to Spectrum and in the beginning everything was normal but after a couple of days I noticed my downstream light was completely off. Everything was still working fine but it bugs me that the light is off now. I logged into the modem to check the event log and I noticed it reboots frequently and has a couple of errors. I'll list them below without any MAC addresses attached.

TLV-11 - unrecognized OID

Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.9

DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing

Does anybody else notice this in their personal Arris router? Is this normal? Support wasn't able to give me any information on if this is normal or updating the firmware. They told me they couldn't update the firmware and they have no access to my modem. However, I contact the manufacturer and they tell me only the ISP can control the firmware on the device. These threads are all over the internet but come on somebody that works at Spectrum has to work with the firmware on these devices. Below is the firmware the device is reporting.

AB01.02.053_082120_193.0A.NSH

If the firmware is just floating out there or not managed at all this would be complete chaos. Does anybody else have these same issues or is running a newer firmware version? I'm hoping this thread will reach somebody that can give me information on how the firmware is managed for these devices.

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭
    Jun 06, 2021

Good morning!

Any approved device on our network will automatically be updated/changed to the latest

approved firmware that we have for any given modem. Is the modem a Rev 4, 6 or 7?

If it is dropping on and offline we definitely want to look into this closer. Are those the only

things you are seeing in the logs? How many bonded channels do you see? You should have 4 usptream

and 32 downstream. You have just started service or have you just now activated this modem?

Julia_R

• corecore Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Jun 07, 2021

Hello Julia, my hardware version is being reported as 0 I had just purchased this modem from Best Buy in May 2020 and have been using it with Xfinity ever since with no issues. I just moved to a new location and setup this modem with Spectrum about a month ago now.

I attached a screenshot of my event logs with MACs removed.

Yesterday I had just moved the modem off an Antronix splitter that had caps over all the unused ports thinking maybe that was causing an issue somewhere but it had actually made my signals worse than before as I just found out it's also an amplifier. Below are my signals

I'm going to move it back onto the splitter, reboot the modem and post an updated screenshot.

Jun 07, 2021

The above connection status page is with it back on the splitter.

I thought it was also an amp but I guess I was wrong. I'll just attach pictures of my connections anyways

I've always had it connected to the splitter since day 1 but yesterday was when I wanted to experiment and hook up the outside wire directly to the modem. This caused way more uncorrectables than normal so now its back on the splitter.

Jun 10, 2021

Hello! Apologies for the delay. I have been out of the office for the last several days.

If you have not already booked an appointment I would highly suggest that. Normally bypassing a splitter and having the modem directly connected helps, not hurts the connection. That being said, I would definitely get a tech out to sort this out. if you do not need the splitter or any other equipment in line its best to have that removed and checked.

Julia_R

Jun 14, 2021

I believe the splitter is just acting as an attenuator because the signal is too hot without it. The remaining ports on the splitter are capped off. I believe my issues are more firmware related. I did a little bit of research on the available firmware versions out there and it seems like Xfinity is running a newer firmware version on this modem.

If I'm reading the firmware version correct, I believe I'm on build 08-21-20 from this: AB01.02.053_082120_193.0A.NSH if I do a quick google search for the section "AB01.02.053" someone else is running "AB01.02.053.01_112320_193.0A.NSH" so a build from 11-23-20 on a Xfinity forum.

I don't remember exactly what firmware I was running on Xfinity but I'm sure firmware is pushed out the same way as Spectrum whenever a new version is approved.

I'm thinking my issues might have been created due to downgrading the firmware when I switched to Spectrum.

Is there any way to have Spectrum evaluate the newest firmware version for the SB8200?

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭✭
    Jun 15, 2021

When a cable modem manufacturer rewrites the firmware of a particular modem in order to fix a known defect, all cable operators who purchased that modem for their subscribers receive copies to evaluate on their specific cable network. If a cable company never purchased that modem for their subscribers, they also won't have any record of performance complaints, nor do they have modems in stock to test with. Spectrum will only push out new firmware when they can verify that 1) it fixes a known and user-reported defect in the CPE modem, and 2) that change will not cause any harm or degraded signal performance to other users on their network.

I would suggest that before you worry about upgrading the firmware in your modem, first convince your local Spectrum office to repair their network. Both the before and after signal reports appear to show that network channel 27 on 777 MHz is not properly programmed in the CMTS. Up to several hundred other nearby subscribers may also see problems with their internet service. Second, in the future please do NOT tamper with the cabling in your home. It belongs to Spectrum and under "theft of commercial service" laws their employees are the only people authorized to modify or remove any connections or components.

Jun 16, 2021

Hi karlbeckman thanks for the info, seems like you know your stuff. So do you think that maybe the firmware is causing the issue with the modem light and reboots/disconnects or more likely that it might be an issue with the local configuration on the backend? How would I get in contact with my local Spectrum office to get this fixed? I'll try calling support and explaining but I feel like it would just end up with a technician being dispatched to my home. I'll try explaining it to them and update back with any information. Also, I wasn't aware about the cabling but it's back to the way it was when I moved in and I'll stay away from it from now on. 

Jun 27, 2021

Good Morning!

There is no way to get a firmware update if it has not been vetted by our network engineers. When we do verify it will be alright, and do no damage, we will automatically push that out. Calling or visiting an office

would not change that scenario. If you are having service issues, we do need to start with getting a tech out to the home to do some investigation. I encourage you to book an appointment so we can get this started.

Julia_R

This discussion has been closed.