Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Latest 6- tuner DVR Poll...

Scott_djScott_dj Posts: 21 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 25 in TV Equipment Sep 25, 2021

Hello Satch & others. So I had to cancel/ postpone my Spectrum account for one month so I can come back as a new customer and get decent rates again. There's still no better service because l I'm.convinced local cable (and all the respective channels) is still much better than the national streaming and notoriously missing channels there.

That said have to return an sought-after Arris 3600 which I'm quite sad about. However, when I went to my local Spectrum store to return it they told me not only do they have more 3600s, they also have the Technicolor 9865 and even a couple Samsungs! Say what...that coveted Samsung is still floating around ?

Also I returned my DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I like the tabletop ones that sit flat rather than the ugly tower 3.1 versions. If I only get 200 400 speed do I really need a 3.1?

Is becoming quite obvious that Spectrum is trying to vanquish the DVRs by raising the rates astronomically and pushing streaming...but let's face it there's no better way to record your own crap and have the local control, and also no better way to get 5.1 surround sound. To me it's worth it--although getting a bit ridiculous in cost these days. I also hear there are further trying to kill them by pushing the Spectrum Guide to the old Hardware--which is a real dumb idea.

So my question to you and everybody: if you had your choice between the 6 tuner DVRs, which one of those would you choose and why? Are all three of them 1tb hard drive models? Do any of them *not* have led lights that could guide a plane to O'Hare Airport? :)

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 25, 2021

Hi Scott,

Good to see you back! I will answer what I know based on my own personal experience, and our community and I can add things later, based on their experience.

I agree with you on streaming! It does not provide the same quality enviornmrnt as being able to sit down in front of a conventional DVR and big screen TV to watch programs. The streaming can be confusing. For a Smart TV you get this tiny little remote with no buttons and you have to flip back and forth between cable and Smart TV apps. Yes, the new Spectrum Guide is slowly rolling out and will have some apps like HBO Max and Netflix on it (Billed though Netflix). If you subscribe to HBO, you get HBO Max for free so that is a start.

Another problem with streaming is that you are constantly behind a subscription wall. And you might have to subscribe to additional streaming companies just to get the channels you want. Buy a Tivo a Roku? Another remote control with which you have to contend. You might start out and think, "Oh streaming is much cheaper than cable." But let's say that you start combining all your services, just to give you what cable offers. Monthly fees for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Peacock, Paramount +. You got all these different companies charging all these different fees instread of "One place for everything" and one remote like CATV.

DVR's. The Cisco/Technicolors at 6-tuners are the best.(9865) The Arris 6-tuner boxes are very good (3600), but the Arris boxes can take a little longer to activate. I would not recommend the Samsungs. I don't know enough about them, and I never see them around. But keep in mind that Spectrum has begun the process of converting the six-tuner boxes from the ODN guide in legacy TWC/Brighthouse Networks to the new Spectrum Guide. If you get a 6-tuner box from the office, it may very well come with Spectrum Guide on it and will be 4 tuners, not six. Still 1TB of storage though. Additionally, over the next months into next year, Spectrum will be coverting boxes overnight to the new Spectrum Guide as well. Spectrum wants the guide consolidated across devices, so that is why they are doing it. The six-tuner boxes should be OK. I have heard of slow-downs with the Arris 3600, but with the Cisco/Technicolor 9865, not so much.

I still have older Internet equipment. And don't need the faster speeds that Spectrum provides for what I do. I come from the "Don't fix what's not broken" philosophy. It is solid. I did have to purchase an Internet range booster when I get my Samsung Smart TV to stop HBO Max, Amazon, Prime, and Pluto TV from buffering. It works great!

Satch

• Scott_djScott_dj Posts: 21 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 25, 2021

It's a shame they're doing that to those boxes. The only positive attribute of the new guide is its legibility, but I liked that old-school look and I definitely like the six tuners. I had a 210T I did not compare, even the picture was better on the ODN as it had a annoying line on several channels by the graphic logo.

I'm waiting to the last minute to return the original Arris DVR &I'm going to call customer support and see if there's any way I can keep it and add it to the new account when I re-enable mid October. They're so hard to find and I have several recordings on there I'd love to keep. I'm sure there's a way *to* do it, the question is *will* they.

If I'm successful with that as much as I was getting a better rate through retention (read: not at all)... I'll return it on Monday through UPS.

And yes streaming is a joke--it adds up so fast and there's no real uniformity to the apps.

edited October 7 Oct 07, 2021

The problem is that its very obvious Spectrum is trying to do everything they can to push people to streaming. How about if you just don't like streaming & you want to "control your own destiny" so to speak with a DVR. Between making rental prices sky-high (a ridiculous nearly $20 for the DVR and an equally ridiculous nearly $20 for the broadcast fee!) now doing stupid things like dumping the new Spectrum guide on the old DVR killing the six tuner capability, it's really getting frustrating.

Even though people like Satch work there don't have to worry about the cost, they still will be affected by the dumb move of overwriting the ODN guide.

Hey Spectrum...Just leave the freaking devices alone!!

Oct 11, 2021

Satch... do you know what the resolution is for the Spectrum streaming app on Roku? And are the music and movie channels in 5.1 surround on Roku like they would be on a cable box? I know the old school boxes have a maximum of 1080i resolution but I wonder what streaming app max is on a supported TV....1080p? Does anyone know?

edited October 11 Oct 11, 2021

Hi Scott,

Not familiar with Roku technology. The big question that no one has a definitive answer is "Why did Spectrum make the DVR World Boxes, only four tuners instead of six?" I heard a few years ago that it was costing them a fortune to rent out the six tuner boxes, and Spectrum felt that four tuners is sufficient. We still get 1TB of storage though.

I don't think Spectrum is forcing streaming, it's simply another technology that is there that they want to use. I am not a fan of streaming, nor am I looking forward to the Spectrum Guide. Remember though that Spectrum always liked ODN's guide and supported it for a few years with new versions. The problem is that they can't take ODN technology and apply it across devices like they can with Spectrum Guide. I mean, they probably could if they wanted to, but that interface although good was still designed originally by the TWC/BHN legacy team. Personally, I think Spectrum should have continued to develop ODN and apply that to the World Boxes. But they want a platform that is all theirs. At least we will be able to have the apps we subscribe to on the cable box with Spectrum Guide, without having to use our Smart TV remotes. That is the only advantage that Spectrum Guide has over ODN Navigator..

Scott, what is the latest update with your six-tuner DVR saga?

Satch

edited October 11 Oct 11, 2021

Still a few days to go to come back as a new customer. But the fact that I had an issue with my mobile provider and they gave me a home internet package for a month just a few days ago complicate matters a bit (if I redo cable and internet I'll be having double services). I'm still trying to figure out if I'm going to go with both cable and tv, just cable or just TV. I'm actually headed to the store if I ever get a lunch today to run some pricing through.

As for the DVR, when you add almost $40 to the base bills to have an old-school DVR these days...they're making it very difficult to keep one (nearly $20 for broadcast fee and $20 for rental cost). When i actually go to sign up again I'll have to see what they have in stock and go from there with my gut feeling :-)

Again Satch that's where you have a major advantage and can't really see things from our side, as I believe you get everything for free as an employee.

I know I missed the back-to-school three-year rate lock plan, but let's face it we don't even know what the streaming world will be like 6 months from now let alone three years!

Oct 11, 2021

Again Satch that's where you have a major advantage and can't really see things from our side, as I believe you get everything for free as an employee.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the updates! No, I don't work for Spectrum! However, I have been involved with cable TV in some form or another since 1985, so I have a solid knowledge of the CATV aspects and equipment. I am not that good with Internet or phone equipment though in terms of knowledge. My areas of expertise are CATV and the boxes.

Satch

• mikeromomikeromo Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Oct 11, 2021

This seems somewhat related to the conversation I just had with Spectrum support. I replaced my old box with a new one and now I have the really new Spectrum Guide which has profound usability problems, including not being able to have you see the time when the box is turned on and you are watching a show, mass deleting of shows, ability to choose the number of episodes per show, etc, etc. Ashely at Spectrum said that I was not the first person to call and complain about the boxes, and that, at the end of the day, the only way to get an ODN guide was to call a tech to come in and maybe he might have one, or to go back to the Spectrum store once a inawhile to see if they might have an extra one...it's just a mess. Crazily, there's no way to just email Spectrum with a request for this stuff--she said people usually do that on twitter--but, like...come on. This is just super dumb that paying customers have to jump through hoops to get basic--basic--functionality.

edited October 12 Oct 12, 2021

My particular store in Florida when I checked today had 5 Arris boxes because we are a legacy TWC area. Unfortunately even those are getting the infamous Spectrum guide dumped to the old hardware and that's causing problems on some of them (and killing the signature 6-tuners). I believe the Technicolor 9865 handle it the best, and not surprisingly none were available.

Satch, I was wondering about that...so you do not work for them and you're in the same boat as us. I didn't notice on here since 2013 so that was probably a big clue. Has your particular six tuner been downgraded with Spectrum guide? How would we know if and when it's going to happen to ours?

So I guess you do feel that heavy DVR fee is worth it for the convenience. They're starting to really push things though with that fee...

Oct 12, 2021

Hi Scott,

Still have a Cisco 9865 with ODN.. I am in Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin,

Satch

Oct 13, 2021

Orlando Florida here, Legacy TWC area so we had a lot of those six tuners available still.

Everytime I think cable's days are over and I'm going to move over to a National streamer like D T V stream... there's just something annoying I find. Is it just me or is the lack of. many local channels (even PBS), those strange "placeholder" commercials, and even the lack of showing certain events such as no streaming Rudolph over the holidays just bugs me. It's also hella expensive for the live TV services. And Y T T V doesn't even offer surround sound!!

Apparently I know one person that doesn't mind paying those cable DVR fees still :)

I guess I could always just get a 6-tuner DVR and literally keep taking it back and get another one if they update the OS on it. At the moment I have five chances: w/ the air stock of 3600s -)

edited October 13 Oct 13, 2021

Scott,

I don't know if they would do this or not, (doubtful) But would your Spectrum-Florida office hook up a DVR box for you to see if it had New Spectrum Guide or ODN Navigator on it? The thing is, if the transition from ODN to Spectrum Guide has begun in your market, there's not much you can do to control what box or guide you are going to get. I am sure that the longer you wait, the more likely that you are going to get a Spectrum Guide box.

I don't think the two-tuner DVR boxes have been converted yet, but who wants only two tuners in this day and age?

Than on the other hand, you could get a World Box with Spectrum Guide. Yea, only four tuners, but you will still have 1TB of space and the newest hardware.

The good news in all of this uncertainty is that you will qualify as a new customer soon! So you are going to get the best rates! Maybe they will give you free DVR or DVR for only $5.00 a month for a year. You should go to the office in person and talk to them about your concerns with the new guide, and ask them about packages. I love the Silver TV package and HBO Max. I would go to the office rather than call on the phone.

Scott, if you go to the office to talk to a counter rep, go more in the morning hours where the reps might be more pleasant. If it is near the end of the day or the end of their shift, you might not get the same type of treatment. If it turns out that they aren't nice, than call over the phone, but at least an in-person communication is worth a shot.

If you get a good new customer deal on a DVR and good service from it, at least you'll be set for 12 months.

Yes, I would pay for a DVR over a streaming service.

Satch

Oct 16, 2021

Just went to the Spectrum store today with the refreshed account after a very long month break...and here's the latest up-to-date pricing.

Just internet is 54.99 with their . router or 49.99 without for 200mbps. That's very competitive considering my T-Mobile home internet it's not nearly as reliable or stable (and only about 50mbps) for the same price.

JUST TV for the Silver package which includes my must-haves AXS and REELZ TV w/ local DVR is $112.

Combined, which kicks it up to 400 internet and a 2-year price lock with DVR plus all fees is going to be about $157. Again, that's not terrible... especially when you get permanent Hbomax rather than only three months from whatever ATTs new name is. That same package if I kept my original service would've climbed to well over $200.

They are hiding that large DVR fee which is pretty much not negotiable anymore as they try to get rid of the boxes... which I think is now *over* $20 combined between hardware and service fees. They had two Arris 3600s and no Technicolor/Cisco when I went today.

Because I have the T-Mobile modem till the start of November, I think it's a good time to try out ATT package and compare. But their pricing get sky high in a hurry so I don't think it's going to cut it...

Oct 26, 2021

Hi Scott,

Any updates on your T-Mobile vs, Spectrum plans for November? Are you going to go with new Spectrum customer pricing?

Satch

Oct 26, 2021

I think I know my decision. Currently waiting till the end of my T-Mobile month ends in early November, then I'm going to get the Spectrum cable package only and ride out DirecTV stream for 3 months while they give me all the premiums. It all ends on my birthday coincidentally in January, to which I'll go back to Spectrum TV and see where the DVR world is then.

I spoke to a very knowledgeable sales rep the other day and her face scrunched up noticeably and nodded when I told them they were trying to kill the 6 tuner DVRs with a dumb idea of dumping the new guide over the old hardware. That unfortunately should be in full force in that few months.

DirecTV streaming improved a lot in the year I last tried it. The cloud DVR now perfectly records overtime games and it's quite nice to get you all your recordings and shows on the go.

• sprillsprill Posts: 6 ✭✭✭
    Nov 22, 2021

Wow. Just read this whole thread and I am a little confused. I am in west Michigan and have the Arris/Motorola DCX3520ED tuner with the "new" Spectrum Guide. I can only record two shows at a time which I believe makes it a two tuner DVR. Is that correct? After seeing all the posts in this forum about people with 4 and 6 tuner DVR's I asked my Spectrum serviceman what it would take to get one. He told me that they are not available in my area. Can anyon confirm that? I'd love to be able to record more shows. Its not very often but there have been serveral time that wished that I had the option.

Thanks -- Steve

Also, some people have said that they lose the 6 tuner capability when they are move to the Spectrum Guide. What exactly does that mean? What do they lose?

Nov 22, 2021

Hi Steve,

There is confusion I will try to explain this:

If you are in a former Time Warner Cable or Brighthouse Networks area, they used to give out six-tuner DVR's before TWC/BHN merged and became Spectrum. Six tuner boxes are only offered in legacy TWC/BHN markets. But, six tuner boxes will be reduced to four tuners when converted overnight to Spectrum Guide. A process happening from now until about the middle of next year.

If you are in a legacy Charter market, you only have two-tuner DVR boxes. Unless you get a Spectrum World Box. The Spectrum World Boxes do not have clocks and all come with 4 tuners and 1TB of storage. The only way that legacy Charter DVR subscribers can get a four tuner box is to contact their local Spectrum Office and ask for the World Box. (Box without a clock.) All World Boxes come pre-installed with Spectrum Guide and four-tuners. If it is a service call, you will have to take what he has on the truck.

For legacy Charter subs, you will have a choice of a 2-tuner DVR or a 4-tuner World Box. (If 4-tuner boxes are available in your market.)

For legacy TWC/BHN Networks subs, you will have a choice of a 2-tuner box, a 4-tuner World Box, or a 6-tuner box, which will run the older guide. But once Spectrum Guide gets downloaded to it, the 6-tuner box will become a 4-tuner box,

Satch

edited November 22 Nov 22, 2021

Bottom line, I saw the writing on the wall and its only a matter of time before all the six tuners get killed--so to speak. Getting rock-solid Spectrum internet again was a no-brainer, but I'm still trying out DirecTV stream (through Jan anyway), which has a rather nice box option on its own and no question has a better picture than cable on my 75" TV..

Sad to say but even if you pay the hefty (read: ridiculous) DVR fees, the era of personal units where you can actually fully control the recording is pretty much done.