Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Internet drops for a few seconds every hour + a ton of uncorrectables in modem

OwenscoOwensco Posts: 2 Spectator
in Connectivity Oct 13, 2021

Good Morning,

I'm hoping someone here has ran into this before - we're having an issue where every 10-20 or so minutes our connection will completely drop for about 10 seconds (throughout the entire day) and then return - during that time VoIP calls will drop, web pages will stop loading, video conferences will break and games will disconnect you (i work from home so this is not great).

I've been running a ping & ping plotter to Google on two laptops hardwired connected directly to the router and show that whenever these drop happens my ms goes through the roof and then i start dropping 15 seconds worth of packets and then the connection comes back.

I have tried the following:

1) Had two tech visits (first said the signal strength was too high and corrected it by spooling about 100ft of extra coax cable in attic) (second would only check the signal strength and said nothing was wrong and blamed the modem)

2) Replaced modem 2x (went from Spectrum provided modem - Aris SB8200 - Orbi Docsis 3.1 modem/router combo) - issue persists across all modems

3) Replaced router with three different router (Ubiquiti UDM-Pro - Nighthawk X6 AC3200 - Orbi Router/Modem combo) - issue persists across routers.

4) Replaced all ethernet cables to verify not a cable issue

5) I have changed the default DNS to 8.8.8.8 to make sure its not something weird with DNS resolution - same outcome.

After going into the modem after a reboot within less than 14 hours i see a TON of uncorrectables which seem to not count up until the packet loss starts happening

The last tech informed me that its likely nothing will be done about the issue (since they will only use their signal tester inside to check the signal)

I feel like i've ruled out everything i can from my side?

Any ideas?

Replies

• OwenscoOwensco Posts: 2 Spectator
    Oct 13, 2021

All day - every day from a laptop wired directly from the router / modem

• RobothellRobothell Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2021

This solved all of the problems for me... If one pc has power settings, like a laptop, it can affect the modem. Try clicking on the battery icon on a windows ten laptop and sliding to best performance. Also open power settings in the control panel on any windows 10 pc. click change plan settings, then click change advanced power settings. Here will be a number of options including wireless adapter settings, PCI express settings and internet explorer settings. Change all of these to best performance, lowest power saving, or off all together. Should solve the problem by limiting the computers ability to shut off the internet.

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 35 Moderator
    Oct 15, 2021

Hi Owensco! Welcome to the community.

I recommend making sure there is nothing close to the modem/router which broadcasts any kind of radio signal. I have seen a similar problem affecting even ethernet connected device that was resolved by moving an LTE backup away from the modem.

Intermittent problems like this can sometimes take multiple appointments with a technician to resolve, especially if the technicians are not seeing any signal problems at the time they test. Most issues can still be fixed through a process of elimination with some persistence, repeat appointments for the same problem are automatically escalated. If my previous recommendation does not help it may be worth setting up at least one more appointment. You can request for the modem to be placed on a device watch so that our systems will more closely monitor the connection to it for a period of time which can help with the diagnosis.

This discussion has been closed.