DVR

Corey06019
Corey06019 Posts: 2 Spectator
edited April 2023 in Watch TV 2023 Archive

Does spectrum have a DVR that will record more than two shows at once while watching other channels…when i had Dish network I could record up to six shows and watch something else

Best Answer

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,270 Contributor
    Answer ✓

Welcome to our Community @Corey06019!

Spectrum's newest DVR is called a "World Box DVR" distinguised by no clock on the front panel, 4-tuners, and a 1TB hard drive. See if your local Spectrum Store has them. Inventory changes daily at the stores and on the tech trucks, so unfortunately, there is no guarentee that you will get that box. The very, very, rare six-tuner boxes could be out there if you are in a former TWC/Brighthouse Networks market. If you are in a legacy Charter Market, it is either a two tuner DVR, or a 4-tuner World Box.

Satch

Answers

• Corey06019
    Corey06019 Posts: 2 Spectator

Do i just got to a Spectrum store with the box?

• Satch

Hi Corey,

Yes, That should work. What is the make and model of the box you have now?

Satch

• bear1066
    bear1066 Posts: 3 Spectator

I see frequent references to the world box; I'm not sure where these boxes are available, perhaps in Brigadoon, because my occasional inquiries to spectrum stores in the midwest return the following responses 1) we don't have, and have never had, said world box, 2) we understand these boxes are available on the east coast, 3) we've heard mention over the last couple of years that these world boxes will be rolled out to everyone eventually, but no one has any idea whether that's actually correct or when this might happen. The limitation to two tuners is technologically absurd but I acknowledge this is the prototypical first world problem.

• bear1066

I should have also said I'm otherwise happy with spectrum; this isn't the most important problem in the world but it's surprising that spectrum hasn't been more aggressive about responding to it.

• Satch
    edited February 2023

Hi @bear1066,

Some good comments made about the DVR two-tuner limitations. Yes, not all areas have World Boxes and the responses about their limited availability are correct. Do you have a second TV at your home? Perhaps if you have not had an Account Review for a year or more, I would say, call Spectrum Customer Care, and see if you can get a discount on a second DVR.

Or, if you live near a Spectrum Store, you can go talk to a rep and see what they can do for you.

I know that this is not the answer that you want, but it might help with recording conflicts. I also really like Spectrum CATV, and agree with you that the two-tuner DVR is a strong limitation, especially with today's technology.

Yea, if you can get that second box for maybe a monthly discount for a year, you will be able to record more things without conflicts. If you could get maybe a $5.00 a month deal for a year on a second DVR. I think that would help you.

Satch

• bear1066

These are excellent suggestions, Satch, and in general, you provide excellent news and information about spectrum--thank you for that effort. I think I'll just ignore the problem; I'm pretty sure my wife is not interested in having yet another technological gadget enter the home. I'll confine myself to watching this board, and occasionally dropping in on my local spectrum store to ask if there is any news on the world box option and complaining about it from time to time. I probably should read more and watch less CATV anyway. (grin).

• BrianDavis96746
    BrianDavis96746 Posts: 1 Newcomer

Why does my receiver not record an hour or so when toggling back and forth between two channels?

• Satch

Hello @BrianDavis96746,

Welcome to the forum! Need some more information to be able to assist here:

1.) Do you mean that your DVR does not record part of a show when moving between channels, or all of a show when moving between channels? If you stop flipping between channels, does your DVR than start to record, or miss the recording entirely?

2.) When did this start happening?

3.) What is the make and model of your DVR box?

4.) Be advised that most of the Spectrum DVR's in the field today are two tuner boxes. Or if you have the new World Boxes, (boxes without a clock on the panel) those are four tuners.

5.) Are you exceeding the number of tuners on your DVR when you are trying to record something? If you are, than this would account for the situations when you are switching channels that recordings may stop. However, you should get a message to this effect on your screen?

Answers to these questions will help us determine the next steps to take.

Satch

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 666 Contributor

"Instant replay" memory gets erased and starts over whenever you change channels unless it's recording. You can start recording, on the fly, by hitting the record button e.g. before you change channels which will commit the rolling instant replay memory to storage in continuum with however much of the rest of the program you want. How many programs you can have simultaneously recording depends on how many tuners your DVR has, like Satch says.

This discussion has been closed.