Islanders Not Appearing on the RSN Overflow Channel

MickeyK
MickeyK Posts: 5 Spectator
edited September 2023 in Watch TV 2023 Archive

MSG says that the game should be on in Trumbull, CT on channel 342. When the Rangers get pushed to the overflow RSN channels, they are broadcast. Why aren't the Islanders?

The screen shot below is from MSG Networks. This is a Spectrum issue; not an MSG issue.

Best Answer

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,021 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @MickeyK.

Spectrum does not control programming. We connect you to the various TV networks who have complete control over what is shown on their channel. They provide us a video feed which is forwarded to you as is. Sporting events are often subject to last minute programming changes or blackouts.

If you were unable to view the channel at all, or were seeing programming from a completely different channel, there may be a Spectrum issue we can help with, but otherwise you will need to direct any feedback regarding the content being shown to MSG.

Answers

• MickeyK

Hello William-

Thanks for your quick reply.

I know this is not a blackout situation because if I go to ESPN+ to try and watch the Islander games in CT, it rightly tells me that ESPN cannot supersede the local rights of MSG to air the game.

If this were a normal channel, I would tend to agree with you. But these are Regional Sports overrun channels that are not specific to MSG programming. Unless I'm missing something, Spectrum decides which sports networks should be funneled to these channels when there are too many games on for the same network. Like I said, the Rangers show up there without issue.

Bottom line - I don't pay or have a contract (or contact) with MSG - I pay Spectrum as a customer. As such, I will continue to look to Spectrum to resolve this issue. (I had DirecTV for 20+ years and there was never an issue with seeing overrun Islander games.)

Thanks for your time.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,270 Contributor

Hello All,

I think that this could be an issue with the Islanders not having an agreement with Spectrum, (at least not yet) to broadcast the games to Spectrum's overflow sports channels: What programing is put in place of the Islanders on Spectrum's overflow sports channels? Or does it vary? As I assume to be the case.

@MickeyK and other fans affected by what appears to be a blackout in the MSG market, should contact the New York Islanders directly, and mention that you want their games to be broadcast to Spectrum's overflow sports channels: You should not only mention that you have Spectrum Cable, but give your affected city in New York and zip code to the representatives of the New York Islanders to whom you talk with at the links below.

If you have a Twitter account- You can Tweet them here: https://twitter.com/NYIslanders

Or if you are looking to compose something a little more formal, which might carry more weight, voice your concern in a snail-mailed document, or call the numbers at the contacts in the link below. I also see that phone numbers are avaliable for two of the three address contacts. I am not sure though which one to call. Couldn't hurt to try both:

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/team/contact-us

Satch

• MickeyK

Hi Satch -

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I had previously called the Islanders, but they pointed me back to Spectrum.

The screen print below is what shows up on the Spectrum RSN overflow channels when there are no games to show.

Two points to make on the thought that the Islanders don't have an agreement to put their games on the Spectrum overflow channels (but DO have an agreement to put on regular MSG channels.)

1 - if that is the case, then Spectrum should be able to confirm. To date that has not happened.

2 - if you look at my first post and at the attached screen shot, the MSG Networks site lets you put in your zip code and cable provider and then shows you the channels the game will be on. Last night they showed the Islanders being on the Spectrum RSN overflow channel. If there was some lack of agreement between the Islander, MSG and Spectrum, I highly doubt they would list the game as being on there.

Thanks.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,270 Contributor
    edited January 2023

I agree,

There should be some explanation for the two points that you have raised:

Two points to make on the thought that the Islanders don't have an agreement to put their games on the Spectrum overflow channels (but DO have an agreement to put on regular MSG channels.)

1 - if that is the case, then Spectrum should be able to confirm. To date that has not happened.

2 - if you look at my first post and at the attached screen shot, the MSG Networks site lets you put in your zip code and cable provider and then shows you the channels the game will be on. Last night they showed the Islanders being on the Spectrum RSN overflow channel. If there was some lack of agreement between the Islander, MSG and Spectrum, I highly doubt they would list the game as being on there.

Anyone have any ideas with regards to the above two points? Maybe there is something more complex that is involved here?

Satch

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 666 Contributor

If RSN channel 342 remained signed off during the Isles’ game last night and was signed on 7-9 PM ET, tonight with Elon at Hofstra and signs on 7-9:30 PM, Tuesday night with Greensboro Swarm at Westchester Knicks, then it’s actually carrying MSG2 instead of MSGSN2 and MSG Networks’ guide is wrong or else they’re sending the wrong simulcast feed to Charter Spectrum in Fairfield County.

• MickeyK

So I'm having the same problem tonight. MSGNetworks says the game is on channel 342. Both channel 342 and 341 have a minor league basketball game one. Spectrum clearly has an issue but doesn't seem interested in fixing it.

I understand that Fubo can get the RSN networks without issue. Probably time to move on.

This discussion has been closed.