Cloud DVR playback instability ONLY with active recordings

pandabones
pandabones Posts: 6 Participant

For the last couple months (since late November) I have at times experienced instability (excessive buffering, sometimes going to black and never coming back, stuttering) in playing back recordings that are actively recording. No issues streaming live TV or playing back recordings that have finished. These issues do not appear if I stream through the web on a PC, so it seems to be an Apple TV app issue.

This is very annoying for watching recordings live sports (which I often do)—trying to catch up to the live broadcast is very difficult. Happened today on the 49ers / Seahawks playoff game.

Occurs on two separate Apple TV 4Ks; both connected to router via Ethernet and my internet is rock solid.

Is this a known issue? If not, can it be investigated?

Best Answer

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,273 Contributor
    Answer ✓

Hello @pandabones,

Yes, it is a limitation of Spectrum Cloud DVR where you will need to let currently recorded programs finish completely, or buffering will occur.

I am not sure, but I don't think you can have Cloud DVR service and box DVR service on the same account.

If this issue is really bothersome, I would suggest dropping cloud DVR service and getting a traditional cable box DVR, and subscribe to DVR service.

Satch

Answers

• pandabones

That makes no sense. First, it worked fine for many months. Second, it sometimes still works fine, but sometimes it doesn’t. Third, it isn’t an issue at all on the web app. Fourth, it makes no sense from a technical perspective, unless there is some bug in the app.

• pandabones

I should make clear that “buffering” isn’t the big issue—I am happy to wait a bit. The problem is buffering to the point of instability (such that the program goes black and never comes back) and constant stuttering.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,273 Contributor

@pandabones ,

All I know is that in the Spectrum pros and cons of traditional DVR vs. box DVR, buffering was listed as a "Con" for recordings that have not yet been completed. I know a moderator on the forum has confirmed this. But the instability is the concern:

Have you tried rebooting your modem and router? If that does not solve the problem, or it comes back, I would suggest a service call to check your signals and drop line. Cloud DVR is very Internet dependent. Have you had any bad weather in your area? Over time this could build up causing ingress on the lines. But you said the Internet app works. Just thinking of ideas here!

Satch

• Jaleesa_F
    Jaleesa_F Posts: 317 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hi @pandabones

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing cloud DVR playback issues on your Apple TVs. You mentioned that web version works fine. Have you tried the app version on other devices aside from the Apple TVs? Did it work or was it the same issue?

This discussion has been closed.