Helping neighbor with TV remote. TV HDMI now on TV instead of Cable box. But don't see video source

CPWatson50
CPWatson50 Posts: 2 Spectator
edited April 2023 in Watch TV 2023 Archive

View Source Button

Helping neighbor to reset tv remote. Somehow I pushed the

setting for Cable to TV. Don't see video source button to

change from TV to Cable.

Best Answers

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,272 Contributor
    Answer ✓

Welcome to the Forum @CPWatson50!

A couple of options to try:

1.) If the CATV remote has an "Input" button press that, til you get the prompt to go to CATV.

2.) If you have the TV remote (not the CATV remote), go to settings, and look for Source, Mode. or Input, and select CATV.

3.) Turn off the TV for 30 seconds, than turn it back on again. See if it defaults to Spectrum/CATV.

4.) If it's a Smart TV, hold down the TV remote (not the CATV remote), button until the TV turns off and comes back to the title screen to do a soft reset. If CATV picture is not restored. use the TV remote to browse through the Home Bar, until you find the "Cable" or "Spectrum" thumbnail. Stopping on that, or selecting that with the TV remote, (not the CATV remote) should bring you back to "Spectrum."

5.) Power off of everything. Unplug the TV and cable box for at least five minutes. Make sure you wait for that amount of time. Or with everything off, power off your surge protector for at least five minutes. After five minutes are up. power your TV back on by plugging your TV and cable box back in, or turning on the surge protector. Let the TV and the cable box reboot, and you should be back to Spectrum.

6.) If worst comes to worst and none of this works- Order a universal remote from Amazon that will allow you to program it and change inputs for the TV. Use this remote as a back up to prevent this from happening again. Read the reviews and look for a five-star remote.

Satch

• Joey1986
    Joey1986 Posts: 205 Contributor
    Answer ✓

@CPWatson50

Does the neighbor have the New Spectrum Guide remote or a different one?

To see which remote they have, go to: https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/program-your-remote/

If they have the New Spectrum Guide remote, all they have to do is press [INPUT] (the small, round button between the two [POWER] buttons.

If they have an older remote, such as the Philips RC122, they have to press [TV] and then [VIDEO SOURCE], since this and other legacy (non-Worldbox) remotes have to be in TV mode to be able to cycle through the different inputs on the TV.

Many brands of TV allow the inputs to be labeled onscreen, as well as skipping unused inputs. This feature is accessible through the TV’s onscreen menu. So if, for example, the cable box is connected to the HDMI 1 input, you might want to label that CABLE or CABLE BOX. If that’s the only device connected to the TV, set all other inputs to SKIP. You’ll have to do all that with the TV’s original remote, not the cable box remote.

Let us know what happens.

Answers

• Jaleesa_F
    Jaleesa_F Posts: 317 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Good morning CPWatson50

Welcome to the community!

I am happy to assist you with the remote. Are you using the Spectrum cable box remote or the remote that came with the TV? You can usually find an Input or Source button on the TV remote. Pressing that should help you to switch the video source. Some remotes allow for you to use the arrows to scroll through the Input/Source menu. However, some do not. In that case, you would press the Input/Source button multiple times to move through the menu until you land on the input that you need.

• CPWatson50
    CPWatson50 Posts: 2 Spectator

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my question about video source. I was helping my neighbor so I don't know the model of the remote but it did not have "video source" . In the place of that was a new button, forget what it is. Some mentioned "input" which I am used to, in between the power buttons. I will check when I go over to day to set up her new cable box. Again, thank you so much for the detailed answers. I always pay it forward.

This discussion has been closed.