Why has the program reminders feature been discontinued?

Jay357
Jay357 Posts: 1 Newcomer
edited September 2023 in Watch TV 2023 Archive

Best Answer

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,021 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jay357, welcome to our community!

I'm sorry that reminders are not currently available. I'm not sure why that feature was removed but I'll be happy to forward your feedback!

Answers

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 666 Contributor
    edited March 2023

If you're talking about Spectrum's Worldboxes running Spectrum Guide software, i think the reminders function just hasn't been enabled in the firmware and i, too, would like to know if that's true and why‼️ The reminders function on my brother's rather mature receiver box running i-Guide is the only way i have to make sure he doesn't miss all of the movies and programs his cable TV subscription is for‼️ I'd love for him to be able to have a Worldbox but i'm stuck‼️

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,270 Contributor
    edited March 2023

Guys,

I know back in the day when I had a non-DVR box running ODN guide, than called "Navigator" it had the option to set up to eight reminder timers so that a show was not missed. I don't remember when that feature was taken out, but when I got DVR service at some point, it was gone. I don't remember if it was there at first, but it's gone from all modern DVR guides, (ODN and Spectrum Guide.)

My only guess for why it was removed from DVR boxes is the guide developers might have thought, "Well, if the subscriber has a DVR, they don't need a programing reminder, they can just set up their shows/and series to be recorded."

Do stand alone (Non-DVR) boxes that run ODN or Spectrum Guide have "Set Reminder" settings? I can see why this feature is missed.

Satch

• HT_Greenfield
    edited March 2023

i-Guide is second only to Spectrum Guide in terms of currency here in my region and is probably still second to none in terms of deployment and it has reminders regardless of whether the box is DVR or non-DVR. You can have at least up to 20 reminders to be set at a time and each one can be anywhere from one time to once every week to every single day, forever, in one fell swoop, and will automatically follow contemporaneous schedule changes. So it helps me to help my brother to get what he wants out of his subscription a lot

I’m going to stop worrying about why Worldboxes with Spectrum Guide don’t have the reminders function and just urge Spectrum to implement it if it can be.

• Satch

Update,

I want to confirm that ODN still has the Reminder Timers on DVR boxes. I saw that feature today, on the Horizontal Scroll bar. You go to "Timers." and you can set up to eight of them. I take it that this is not on Spectrum Guide?

Satch

• HT_Greenfield

No dice, @Satch . The Advanced Information display on my Spectrum Guide Worldbox shows hasReminder = false so end of story unless and until Spectrum can and does enable it so caregivers can help people who are not all there to get what they want out of their cable TV subscription because cable TV is some of these people’s best friend. 🥺

• Satch

Thanks for this information @HT_Greenfield,

The above proves that the World Boxes have the firmware to support Reminder Timers. Spectrum needs to enable them on Spectrum Guide. I agree with the others above. Reminder Times can help subscribers, especially with client (non-DVR) boxes only, to set up their movies, shows, and series, that they would otherwise miss.

Satch

This discussion has been closed.