Jitter, ping spikes

rberus
rberus Posts: 9 Spectator
edited April 2023 in Gaming & Gaming Related

Approximately two weeks ago, I heard comments while online gaming that indicated my Internet connection was possibly not stable. I performed some diagnostics using PingPlotter which indicated a possible issue within the Spectrum network. Yesterday, a technician replaced most of the lines (including line from street to house) and the cable modem, however the spikes are still present. See these sample charts showing a large jump in max latency starting at hop 2 and the large spikes in the overall connection from the bottom chart.

Tagged:

Answers

• Jaleesa_F
    Jaleesa_F Posts: 317 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Good morning @rberus!

Welcome to the Community! I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing connectivity issues, I am happy to look into this for you. I will need to ask you some questions so that we can try and resolve the connectivity issue. Has there been connectivity issues across all devices? Or is this specific to a certain device? Are you wired or wireless?

• rberus

@Jaleesa_F

This is across all devices, the device that I use for gaming is wired. You can see from the charts that the issue begins somewhere between the cable modem and the device that is the second hop which is within the Spectrum network, as the max ping jumps from sub 10ms to >=500ms.

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,028 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

The first two hops should be the modem and router, so it looks like the problem is starting as early as the router. Can you connect straight to the modem with the ethernet cable, reboot the modem to get an IP to that device, and test to see if you have the same issue once the online light comes back on?

• rberus

@William_M

You're right, thanks for prompting me to take a second look! I got thrown off by PingPlotter reporting the external IPv6 address and name, not the link local address and/or device name as it does for IPv4. I'll test without the router and follow up if that doesn't resolve it.

• rberus

I bypassed the router but I think the results are inclusive because the path has changed (I assume due to picking up a new IP) and the starting hop for the issue isn't in the new path.

• rberus

@William_M

This is with a brand new router using the original route. I'm now 100% convinced the issue is related to an issue within the Spectrum network.

• rberus
    edited March 2023

Disregard, I believe I finally found the culprit.

• Steph_S
    Steph_S Posts: 515 Spectrum Employee

Sounds good, please let me know if there is anything further that we can assist you with. I hope that you have a good day!

This discussion has been closed.