What happened to the dvr recorded display

Bags_123
Bags_123 Posts: 6 Participant
edited September 2023 in Watch TV 2023 Archive

The latest update changed the sequencing of recorded shows. It is the most bizarre way to view the recordings. Please change it back.

Best Answers

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,271 Contributor
    Answer ✓

Good Morning @Bags_123 ,

Thank you for the update.

Could you please provide a screenshot or two of your guide, so that the Community can see what you are seeing? One of the screenshots should show how the recordings are now organized.

Satch

• Satch
    Answer ✓

Hi @Bags_123 ,

Thanks for the photos! What is the make and model of your cable box? These pictures look like the old guide that I had years ago on an SA-8300 DVR. That bottom screen looks like what I remember. My box is a Cisco 9865 and it runs the newer ODN Guide. Your screens seem to show an older version of the ODN Guide.

When did the guide change happen? Years ago, I had a failed update to my ODN Guide on my box, and it went back to the older version of the guide, and I had to reboot to get the more advanced guide back, That's why I suggested a reboot. If you still have an SA-8000 series box, your guide data is almost right, but your programs are not sequenced correctly.

When you press the Guide button and see the Time Grid, is it 4x3 with black bars on the sides or 16x9, which is the High Definition version? I would like to see your On Demand Screen. Press On Demand, and do you get the On Demand Portal with cover art for the titles? If you don't, something is off here. (Unless you still have a legacy SA-8300 box.)

Satch

• Bags_123
    Answer ✓

Hi Satch,

Thanks so much for all your help.

The "new" view just happened last week when Spectrum did an overnight update.

The front of the box only has this marking #9865HDC. It definitely is an older box. I keep trying to resurrect it since I have many recordings on it. The number on the back is F44B2A57CD51. I will try and reboot it again. I am always afraid to reboot since it gets stuck on L3!

Do you think what I am seeing is an old version?

The guide has black bars on the left with a long blue title line. It does not have the cover art for the titles. I must have been without that for a while.

I'll try the reboot again and hopefully that will fix the problem, otherwise I will have to get the dreaded new box!

Thank you again.

B

• Satch
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Hey @Bags_123 ,

Yup, you got downgraded to the older version of the ODN guide. I have the same model DVR you have and it shows the new guide A Cisco 9865. Some recommendations:

1.) When you do this reboot, power off of everything (TV, Box,, etc. And than unplug your box for about five minutes. After that, plug the box back in, and allow it to reboot.) There is a provision in the ODN guide where if an update fails, it goes back to the version found on those older silver SA boxes by design. It happened to me several years ago.

2.) Be careful with getting new boxes. You do not know what you are going to get. And if the recording, playback, and other functionality is OK to be honest, I would actually stick with that box. You still have the ability to record up to six shows at once. If you get the new World Box without a clock, it will have the new Spectrum Guide on it. You will only have four tuners to record. If you get another ODN guide box, it will only have two tuners.

3.) A plus even with the slimier menus is that you will have great navigation speed on that box! (At least I did!) I wonder what would have happened if I had not rebooted years ago?

However, if you want the prettier GUI and the cold reboot does not resolve this, you might have to get a new box. Just be aware of the downsides in #2. You might want to call Spectrum, but because that is an older guide from the Time Warner Cable/Brighthouse Networks legacy days, (even though I think it is an excellent guide with the modern features that you lost) the CSR might not know what you are talking about, and will probably set up a truck roll, where the tech will come out with a different box. That Cisco 9865, while an older box, is still a great box because of its speed and six-tuner functionality!

Keep us posted.

Satch

• Satch
    Answer ✓

More Info. (Refer to my post above.) This is a continuation of that,

L-3 is the longest delay time in a box reboot sequence. The L-3 is indicating that it is downloading all the guide data. This whole reboot sequence could take a solid 20 minutes.

What is your zip code? There is a possibility that a Spectrum mod might be able to pull up your account, and see if there is a ticket open regarding the guide interface change. FYI, I had a guide update about two weeks ago, but nothing changed..

If you are nervous about rebooting your box, I understand. If everything still works with the more basic ODN guide, you might want to leave things as they are. But that is totally up to you.

Satch

• Satch
    Answer ✓

Hello @Bags_123,

Any updates on your DVR situation?

Satch

Answers

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,021 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hi @Bags_123, welcome to our community!

You should have the option to sort your DVR by Date (chronologically) or Title (alphabetically), are you seeing something different?

• Satch
    edited April 2023

To add to @William_M 's post,

I had this same issue, years ago. A reboot fixed everything. First, try to filter the recordings as @William_M suggested. If that doesn't work, reboot.

Satch

• Bags_123

The reboot did not work. Previously, the recorded shows would list the show and how many episodes you recorded. Now the Date option will display all shows recorded by that particular day. If you wanted to watch a particular episode of a show you would have to scroll through the entire list by date. The Title option is the same as well. In order to watch a particular show, you must scroll through the alphabet. For this much effort, I can use a streaming service.

• Bags_123

One photo of recordings by date and one photo by title. Is this what you see on your guide?

Thank you.

• Bags_123
    edited April 2023

So much great information. I always hold off calling Spectrum because their answer is to immediately get a new box. I will hang on to my old box and reboot it as you suggested.

I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for taking the time to help me!

B

• Bags_123

Thank you, Satch! I was able to get the old version of the recordings off. I am back to normal. Great information.

This discussion has been closed.