Activate my Own Router?

old_texan
old_texan Posts: 56 Contributor
edited September 2023 in Internet 2023 Archive

If I choose to buy my own router, can I just install it. Or - - - - does Spectrum have to activate it via a Tech Support call?

Thanks!

Best Answers

• LGT
    LGT Posts: 144 Contributor
    Answer ✓

A stand alone router does not have to be activated. Only your cable modem needs to be activated. If you have a combined modem/router the modem in that device would have to be activated.

• old_texan
    old_texan Posts: 56 Contributor
    Answer ✓

Thank you, LGT. At this point I'm having new router troubles (wi-fi 6) and am considering buyn my own with more horsepower. Trying not to get Spectrum involved. Modem is separate so no problem there.

Going to have my lines checked this week, just to make sure they're OK. No point in buying a new router if it's a cable linne problem.

• LGT
    LGT Posts: 144 Contributor
    Answer ✓

The general rule is that if it plugs directly into the cable system, i.e. by an F-type connector to coax, it has to be activated and meet Spectrum's requirements. So Set Top Boxes and Cable Modems have to be activated. Every thing that comes after that, TV's Computers, Routers (assuming it is yours not Spectrum's) is the homeowners responsibility.

From experience and all that I have read on this board, I have always had as much of my own equipment as possible. Back when TWC used to charge for modems I had my own. With Spectrum I use their modem and my own router. I prefer to control my own destiny, so to speak. I still dislike the fact that I can no longer see modem signal levels using a Spectrum modem. I do understand because of that I am responsible for doing all the setup and configuration for my router, but it also gives me complete control over everything including having separate 2.4 and 5G networks, which is why I believe you are looking at your own router.

This discussion has been closed.