Firestick Wifi 6 and New Spectrum Router

old_texan
old_texan Posts: 56 Contributor
edited September 2023 in Internet 2023 Archive

Well - - - having been told that ALL new routers obtained from Spectrum are now Wi-fi 6, I installed and had Spectrum activate a new SAX1V1R . Works great for my computers. I ordfered and installed a new Fire Stick Max Wi Fi 6 ---- meant for wifi 6 networks. Guess what? Runs as slow as my old one.

So Spectrum makes me (by equipment sale) convert to wifi 6, and then wifi 6 devices don't work.

Can somebody point me in the right direction here? Please?

Best Answers

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,021 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hey @old_texan

I took a peek and I do see the router you got has WiFi 6, but the devices currently connected are on 5Ghz with very weak signal strength. Have you tested your speed while in the same room as the router?

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,021 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

The scale is 0 to -100 with higher (closer to 0) being better. I see the Apple TV at -91 which is extremely poor. I saw it switch briefly to the 2.4Ghz but was still in the -70's. I agree that with 3 replacements it's not likely a defect with the routers, most likely there is something between the router and your TV that is obstructing the signal.

You could try and get your own router that might have better range, but I would instead recommend either moving the modem and router closer to where you use the service, or running ethernet cables to your devices or to a wireless access point. If your residence is permanent I think the best solution would be to hire an electrician to run ethernet cabling through your walls and install ethernet outlets, which can then be used to connect devices directly or wireless access points, or look into a whole house WiFi/mesh system.

Answers

• old_texan

Thanks, William ---

The on-site technician used a hand-held device (like large cell phone). When he was here ( and I'm not sure what scale he was using) right next to the router it was -38 and at the fire-stick (2 rooms away) about -50.

He said that was good. Today ---- I have Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector on my PC at the router. The router signal is -40, but the signal for the Fire Stick now is -76. At a 2nd Fire Stick, a room away, the reading is also around -76. (The tag line on the FS says "poor", so I guess -76 is not getting it there.)

My understanding that on that scale low is better, and that anything over -50 is bad.

I'm thinking of making an appointment with a live tech again. But- - - - since this is the 3rd try with both the new SAX1V1R and an RAC2V1K (the older style). Since an old style had worked perfectly before it just burned out, I asked for the one mentioned above at the Spectrum store. But have since learned that all routers issued at the retail center will be the newer wifi 6 protocol, even the RAC2V1K which used to use both 2.4 and 5 ghz..

I'm debating whether or not to make an appointments or just bite the bullet and buy my own router. The odds are against 3 different replacement routers not sending out enough signal are pretty high.

Any suggestions?

• old_texan

William --

Thanks for looking into it in detail. Some tough decisions to make, but I least I know the potential trouble issue.s.

This discussion has been closed.