Ping spikes

jchin0909
jchin0909 Posts: 3 Spectator
edited June 2023 in Gaming & Gaming Related

Hello, I have recently moved in and installed Spectrum 200mbs internet. While downloads are fine, I cannot play games due to massive ping spikes while playing. I have tried pingplotter and it shows that I have ping spikes when connecting to certain servers and I was wondering if anyone was able to fix it.

Tagged:

Answers

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,077 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hi @jchin0909, welcome to our community!

How high is your ping spiking?

Are you connected with an ethernet cable, or over WiFi?

Have you tested on other devices, and/or to different servers?

• jchin0909

My ping goes from around 20-30 to around 150 at random times. I am connected to an ethernet cable and have tested on my laptop as well. I have tried pinging with CMD and you can see it spikes up when contacting google servers I get random spikes at times. I'm not really sure what is causing this, everything is plugged in tightly and it even happens when I just plug the modem into my computer.

• Jaleesa_F
    Jaleesa_F Posts: 339 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Are you wired into the router? Or directly into the modem?

• jchin0909

I have tried both and it has ping issues both ways. My modem is the ARRIS TM1602 MTA and router is SACV2S. I have seen that a possible issue is that my modem is a PUMA 6 chipset which has historicaly had issues. I have seen recommendations to swap them to newer hardware as well

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,077 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

How frequently are you seeing the spikes? If you open a second command prompt and ping a different IP, do they both spike at the same time? Do you have a different device you can test with?

This discussion has been closed.