I can't get my sc.rr.com encrypted with the settings Spectrum is giving me.

Options
diddlydudette
diddlydudette Posts: 16 Participant
edited April 29 in Email

my sc.rr.com email stopped working last week. I got the popup that would not go away due to server errors all of a sudden. Email has been working for years and now it will not.

I'm using an older version of Outlook but I don't think that is the issue. The issue seems to be with server settings because I've tried their suggested server setting on multiple of email platforms.

Spectrum says since my email is working in Webmail, there is nothing they can do to help with any 3rd party platform.

No platform will allow encryption. I can easily set up the email unecrypted but I don't want it to be hacked into. I want encrypted. Encrypted ended for me last week and now I can't get it to work. Evidently server changes were made and the server settings I'm given won't work now.

Thing is, I truly believe it's the settings and not the platform. Are there alternate settings to try?

I was given outgoing and incoming server settings for sc.rr.com Spectrum as being mail.twc.com. 993 and 587 and ssl. Fine and great but that's not working to give me encrypted.

Using webmail isn't what I want to do. I know it's an option but it is not my preferred method. I just want the correct server settings besides what I'm being given because they aren't working.

Please help. I wish the server settings weren't changed. Before I believe my incoming and outgoing server setting were mail.sc.rr.com but now they are mail.twc.com. I've tried both of those and mail.brighthouse.com. Anything else to try. is 993 and 857 correct. I wrote another message but it disappeared so trying once again.

Thanks in advance.

Please don't recommend I go to the webmail and use that. I'm asking about alternative settings now that they've been changed by Spectrum.

Comments

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 727 Contributor
    Options

Stupid question: are you able to send and receive as usual via the webmail portal, and what's not working with Outlook: auth, sending, receiving or what? What are the specifc indications?

• diddlydudette
    Options

Yes, the webmail works. This is for my 88 year old mom. She does not like change and is having a fit that she does not like webmail. She wants what she has been using for years. She's just used to it. I just can't get Spectrum to give me settings that allow for encryption with OUtlook. The settings they give me won't allow encryption. I can't auto setup. I have to do it manually and I input their settings but Outlooks says they can't find a encrypted server. Thanks.

I can send/receive without encryption but that is too scary.

• HT_Greenfield
    edited April 28
    Options

Edit: Make sure that the username field and email address field are both the correct full email address with secure/encrypted auth enabled, along with server hostname mail.twc.com, and that the password is correct, for both incoming and outgoing and then, for incoming specific/advanced settings, use IMAP, port 993, and then try one TLS or SSL or "SSL/TLS" option after another until one of them flies when you hit the test button. Then, same for outgoing but SMTP, port 587, and whichever TLS or SSL or "SSL/TLS" option flies for it.

• diddlydudette
    Options

Thank you. I know both the username and full email address aren't the same. I will change that and see if it makes a difference.

Also when I first tried to do the server changes, I needed her password to change anything. I didn't know her password (just saw a bunch of dots) to her email so I called Spectrum and I got it changed. My question is that her email password is what I enter when making changes and not her Spectrum password that she uses to pay her bill right?

Other than probably username and email address isn't the same, the other setting I've tried. It won't accept SSL (which Spectrum told me to use and Outlook won't accept TLS. And this is when I manually trying to configure.

Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know if this works.

• diddlydudette
    edited April 29
    Options

I just tried again using the exact settings. Both username and email did have the full email address. I also had mail.twc.com for both outgoing and incoming, In advance I did have IMAP 993 and I tried SSL, TLS and auto. None would work. I also had in outgoing the 587 and I tried IMAP ssl and TLS and auto.

I do have checked that my outgoing server (SMTP requires authentication.

Incoming server is IMAP but outgoing is SMTP. Is that the way it should be?

With the above settings, I get this error message as seen in the image attached.

I had to end up going back to default settings which don't allow encryption.

Those settings were Incoming 143 with auto encryption, and outgoing SMP 25 and auto encryp. This sends and receives email but there is no encrption.

Am I doomed?

Are there any other settings for Spectrum I can try or is that it? Thank you very much.

• HT_Greenfield
    Options

It looks to me like auth and receiving are working at that point and that sending is the only catch. Make sure the "same as for incoming" option is checked for the outgoing baseline settings and then, for the outgoing specific/advanced settings, again try SMTP port 587 and each SSL or TLS or STARTTLS option one at a time and note that it doesn't have to be the same one as for incoming. If none work, try port 465 instead (that they don't advertise it doesn't necessarily mean it's not open for biz.)

Ultimately, if needs be, install Mozilla Thunderbird - at least temporarily - and add the account therein and see if you can get it to auto-acquire what would presumably be the preferred settings simply via email address and password; if it does and if they work, either ride with Thunderbird instead or else examine the settings and replicate them in Outlook and see what happens.

• HT_Greenfield
    Options

Correction: don't waste any more of your time trying port 465. I hereby doubt if that's going to fly with mail.twc.com. My bad. If you can't get secure SMTP transmission to fly with port 587, then i'm afraid that the version/build of your email program and/or OS might just not be up to snuff, cypher suite-wise. You could nevertheless give Thunderbird a try just for kicks.

• diddlydudette
    Options

Thank you. Right now she can use webmail.spectrum.net. Sad thing though is the whole point of trying to get into Outlook 2010 is so that she can keep the same software she's used for years. She doesn't like change.

I remember I had tried a week or so ago to get Thunderbird but I couldn't get it to work. I forgot what my issue was. I will have to try that again. Are you saying I can see what the setting that work there are and use those possibly with the outlook? I will try in next day or so. I don't have anything to lose for trying.

I also know Groupon has Office 23 for like 25.00. I just don't trust myself to transfer all her emails from the 2010 version to the new 2023 Outlook. I think I have to download her PST file? And then upload to 2023 OUtlook? It's been awhile since I've done that so I'd have to do some research. If it seems easy enough I might try that.

I would have to see the the software if very similar. If the 2023 version is very different it would confuse her just as much as her using the webmail so it wouldn't make sense. Oh well, I guess we'll all get to be old and set in our ways and hate change. lol

Thanks again for your suggestions and help.