Will Southern California get the Big Ten Network?

Options

Now that the UCLA and USC is moving to the Big Ten athletic conference, it is logical that the Big Ten Network replace the Pac-12 Network in the Southern California regional sports package. Is Spectrum working on making that happen or do I need to start test-driving streaming service providers that do provide the Big Ten Network?

I would certainly like to get the details of what Spectrum has planned for us college sports fans.

Answers

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,318 Contributor
    Options

Hello Runs With Scissors,

Welcome! For best results with this you would have to contact Big 10 Network and request that they get a contract to add the network to Spectrum Cable in Southern California. Spectrum needs an agreement with any station before they can offer that station concerning package placement and network distribution. Excellent information at Big Ten Network's website with lots of options for social media contacts:

Satch

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 703 Contributor
    Options

All i can figure is that Big Ten Network has been included in the Sports View add-on like Pac 12 Network has been, so log on to watch.spectrum.net and search up "Big Ten" and hit Big Ten Network and there it should be or else there should be the toll-free number for you to call and find out what the story is. Otherwise, what Satch said.

• Satch
    Options

I agree,

I think Big Ten Network goes back to the Time Warner days. I'm surprised that Southern California does not have it. OP should log into his/her account and check the lineup for that area. If it's not offered, use the website above to request that Spectrum add the network.

Satch

• RunsWithScissors
    RunsWithScissors Posts: 3 Spectator
    Options

Thanks for the comments, but they aren't helpful. It's pointless for me, a single cable subscriber, to contact the Big 10 Network on my own for what ends? To subscribe to their streaming service?

Spectrum Cable TV has existing contracts with the Big 10 network for the market areas of the current Big 10 universities (i.e. Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois, etc. Spectrum simply needs to revise their contract with the Big 10 to turn on the traditional viewing markets for UCLA, USC, U of Oregon, and U of Washington when they join the Big 10 Conference this fall.

And it should not result in additional subscriber fees charged by Spectrum Cable considering the addition of the Big 10 network should be offset by the demise of the Pac 12 network which reportedly had the highest carriage fee among the nation's collegiate sports broadcast networks unless, of course, Spectrum Cable or the Big 10 Network decideds to participate in a money grab at the expense of the cable subscribers.

Today while I was researching service providers, I found an alternative to Spectrum Cable TV. In Southern California, Direct TV Streaming offers the Big 10 Network, Spectrum Sports (Dodgers and Lakers). In the past, only Spectrum Cable provided the Pac 12 and Spectrum Sports networks; no other providers offered the UCLA Bruins, Dodgers, and Lakers games.

If Spectrum makes no formal announcement of the addition of the Big 10 network by the end of July, I will have to end my Spectrum Cable subscription and move to a different service.

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 703 Contributor
    Options

Stupid comment: you might as well just state which subscription TV package it is upon that you're insisting Big Ten Network replace Pac 12 Network.

• Satch
    edited March 23
    Options

Hello,

I would recommend checking the Spectrum line-up online that is specific for your area, as Big Ten Network (Listed as BTN) should be available on grandfathered to current Spectrum CATV packages. Here is how to run the check. Be sure to go through all of the following instructions completely:

Satch

PS. If you don't see BTN after "localizing your lineup." I still recommend visiting the Big 10's website above. You can get friends and family to do the same and let them know that you want BTN added to your Spectrum lineup! This should not be a hard-sell for Spectrum to get this channel in your Southern California area. It is in many, many, other Spectrum markets.