WORLDBOX 2.0 customize channel changing

Options
jojodwolf
jojodwolf Posts: 9 Participant
edited March 4 in TV Equipment

On my box that I had for years I could program the box so that when I change the channel I could customize what channels appear and don't. So I have about 35 channels in my plan but the new cable box has the ability to bring in over 200. I can program the guide to only show my channels or favorites but when I go to actually change the channels (surf) it's a terrible experience to have to see all the channels that I do not subscribe to .Scientific Atlanta box it was a piece of cake to set it up. Talking with tech twice today we concluded that the latest Worldbox does not have this feature. I don't understand how anyone can tolerate trying to look though their channels and be subject to all the channels you don't get. I see the only work around is to customize the guide and go to the guide to see what's on. But what if you just want to visually see what is on, especially when I only have about 35 channels that I personally picked? That admitted that it's a work in progress. Just not sure how this can be overlooked?

Comments

• jojodwolf
    Options

Got a new worldbox... I added all the channels I want to my favorites and yet comedy central even though it is a favorite no matter how I set of the guide filters to show all or show favorites that channel, 717 does not appear in my guide. I can change the channel to it but it's not in the guide if that's how I want to see what I want to watch

and on another note I am not happy about the lack of ability to choose what channels I can chose when manually changing the channels. Did everything. Made them all favorites but when changing the channels all channels appear especially all the channels I don't get. Spoke to tech three times with no solution. My old scientific atlanta I was able to customize the channels that appear when changing the channels.

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 702 Contributor
    Options

Just curious if you could hit the search function via the main menu and search up "COMEDY CENTRAL" and see if the network result is showing that same channel number (and, if so, does it happen to erroneously have the key symbol up front?)

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,318 Contributor
    Options

Hey!

I want to chime in about the discussion of Favorites on World Box. A plus is that the Favorites are really easy to add. You just go to the Guide Time Grid, and left arrow in the cell and you have the option to make the channel as a favorite.

But on the old ODN boxes with the guide open, and you hit favorites, it would go from channel to channel in the guide. World Box with Spectrum Guide is different in that it only moves your favorite channels to the top You still have to select each one. Press Favorites again to go back to "All Channels" or "Subscribed Channels."

With these World Boxes, my tech installer who was awesome btw, said that the thing that works the best in dealing with these new models is patience and time. Everything on these new boxes from the Guide to the Search is all Internet and server-based, and sometimes you will find something that wasn't working on Monday, starts working again on Wednesday. Two things you should try:

1.) Go to your account "My account" and check your package level and see if the channel is in your line-up. If it is included:

2.) Reboot your box.

2.) Report back with your results. If you still don't see the channel in your guide and you have the channel in your line up, post your city, state, and zip, and the mods can check or open a ticket for this issue.

Satch

• jojodwolf
    Options

The missing channel was resolved. I had set to show only HD and even though the channel is HD it did get filtered out. That was only one of my gripes. The third time on the phone with Spectrum, which by the way all times were very good and quick to get to someone. We still concluded that changing the channels manually was a problem with the software.There was no way to adjust the fact that every channel would appear in the lineup making channel surfing unbearable. 30 in my list but 300 channels to sift through. Last night he suggested to go to the store and trade the box in for a ODM which I plan to do today. I don't see this issue resolved anytime soon. The upgrade in interface is not worth the issues. And when I want I nicer interface I use Roku lots of the time anyway

• Satch
    edited March 5
    Options

Hey @jojodwolf,

You can try going to a store to swap your box. But there are several things to note:

1.) That store may not have ODN boxes in stock.

2.) The box has to have a clock to possibly run ODN. (Most boxes given out now are Spectrum Guide.)

3.) The box might, at some point in time update overnight to Spectrum Guide, as the ODN software is being phased out.

4.) If you have a DVR box, that runs ODN, you will be restricted to two tuners. (With a very rare exception, see #6.) For a time, the Florida markets, formerly Bright House Networks had a good supply of six tuner ODN DVR's.)

5.) All Spectrum Guide World Boxes have no clocks on them and are four tuner DVR's.

6.) There are extremely rare six tuner DVR boxes with clocks on them. If you get a six tuner clock box, and at some point, it gets updated to Spectrum Guide, you will be reduced to four tuners.

Personally, if your box is working, I would recommend holding on to it if you can. You don't know what you are going to get in a swap or exchange concerning its quality and reliability. At least the Spectrum Guide gets updated more often. I don't recall major updates to ODN for the last two years.

Satch

• jojodwolf
    Options

I read your comment as I was in the parking lot of the store and chose to go in anyway.

Well the store said they don't have those ODN anymore and even If they did I could not go back.

Two tuners was fine for me and I really really hate that I cannot control my channel line-up when changing channels. Let's say for example I am on Channel 501. My next channel down that I actually get is 217. Unless I punch in 217 or jump to the guide when I actually change my channel down it will go to 500 and then 499 ect ect. This is just a no brainer that I should be able to use the channel changer to change to just "my channels". So if I were to actually memorize all my stations and punch in numbers?? So let's say after 501 the next station up is 520. So I punch that in but 521 to 530 I do not get. it's this endless loop of landing on stations I don't get and get the option to pay more for it. I know some feel they only want to use the guide anyway... But by surfing I may see some bald eagles on the nature channel that I find interesting but looking in the guide I don't know what is on the channel at that moment. I just was to change my (fricking) channels. Seems so little to ask for considering the Scientific Atlanta was capable of this task... My rant.

• jojodwolf
    Options

I found one work around that helps but far from perfect. I have a universal remote and I programed the remote to use the channel up key to now be my favorites. That works when changing channels up. To go down does not work in favorites.

• GearMaven
    GearMaven Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

HATE the new box without the on-face clock and with the cumbersome Guide without some of our favorite features: no PIP; can't look back in time for current day on Guide; takes more steps to delete shows, to set up shows; can't figure out why it is not erasing yesterday's shows and only taping new shows so we don't have to spend time deleting, etc. Don'tcha just love when NEW tech takes away good features and pisses off folks!

• Satch
    Options

My observation,

Everything seems to take twice as long to do in new Spectrum Guide and the no clock boxes compared to the ODN guide old clock boxes. PIP has been gone for the past 15 years, though.

Satch

• jojodwolf
    Options

Tech support said they submit the comments made to them... I'm turning purple holding my breath. Without my universal remote taking care of the favorites channels I would be hating this box beyond belief.

• Satch
    Options

Hey Everyone,

This is a very helpful video on different ways to set up and view Favorite Channels on Spectrum Guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvoB6iFwjUc

Satch

• jojodwolf
    Options

Still lame that if you want to sort your channel line-up so that when you actually change the channels up and down you can get just your favorites instead of 500 channels to sift though. It amazes me that something like that is not available considering it was on the old box.