TV audio out of sync w/WorldBox

Options
red_64
red_64 Posts: 18 Participant

I was using the Explorer 4640HDC for like forever, and even though it was slow and outdated, but it was pretty reliable. Early this month, Spectrum replaced the box with the WorldBox 2.0. It's mostly an improvement over the old 4640HDC, but most channels have the audio out of sync behavior. I've tried messing with the different settings, swapping out the coax and HDMI cables, but still no. I also tested it without my sound bar, just with the internal speakers, but also no.

Since I didn't have this problem with the old 4640HDC, should I try getting a new WorldBox? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Lyn_T
    Lyn_T Posts: 398 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Good evening @red_64

Thank you for reaching out to us the audio concerns with our box. I am sorry this is happening. I appreciate you trying the troubleshooting suggestions before contacting us. Have you attempted to reset the box yet? This can be done by unplugging the box from the power and the cable line for 3-5 minutes. Let me know if this helps. -Lyn

• red_64
    Options

Hi Lyn, I did tried unplugging the power, but I only waited about 30 sec. before plugging it back. I'll give it another try later today and see.

• red_64
    Options

Lyn, I left the box powered off for 30 min, and it didn't help.

• Lyn_T
    Lyn_T Posts: 398 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Thank you for trying that. I am sorry that did not help out. The next step would be to swap the box out or have a technician stop by to have this investigated further. Do you live near a local office? -Lyn

• red_64
    Options

Not too far. Do I just take it over and ask for a new one?

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,321 Contributor
    Options

Good evening Red,

I would set up a tech visit. He/she can do more by being there to check lines and signals. This could be a line/signal problem and not a box problem.

Satch

• red_64
    Options

Ok, thanks Satch. It's weird that I didn't have this issue with the old box.

Lyn, anything else I should do before calling in for a tech?

• catchtwentytwo
    catchtwentytwo Posts: 144 Contributor
    edited April 25
    Options

What TV or Streaming Device do you have? Some TVs and streaming devices have settings to help with audio sync issues.

We have a 55-inch TCL ROKU TV that doesn't have a sync setting in the TV settings. However, Roku's iPhone app does. Remote>Gear Icon>Adjust audio delay.

If you have a different brand TV or Streaming Device, try a Google search for your TV or device model - Audio delay settings

• Satch
    edited April 25
    Options

Another idea,

If the option is available, try a Reset Data in the Settings/Account Overview Section of Spectrum Guide: (Scroll down at link for details:)

https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/new-spectrum-guide-account-overview

Satch

• red_64
    Options

@catchtwentytwo, I'm just using WorldBox set-top box via HDMI, and the TV doesn't have an audio delay for HDMI connection, plus, there is no issue with streaming apps, Apple TV, etc.

• red_64
    Options

@Satch I did a reset but no change. It's interesting that equip info section has a ton of settings. Maybe a tech could tweak one of those settings.

• Satch
    Options

On your Spectrum Guide,

Have you tried a different audio setting? For example, changing from "Standard" to "Enhanced?"

Satch

• red_64
    Options

@Satch Yep, didn't help. I think Enhanced gives you a little bit more bass and stuff.

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 721 Contributor
    Options

Stupid question: like Catch 22 said, what's the make and model of the TV? Just curious.

• Satch
    Options

Hey Red,

If you make a tech appointment, post back what he says/does please. Yea, if you know the make/model of your TV, that would be interesting. But as you had a previous box that was problem-free I don't think this is a TV issue.

I have two more questions:

1.) Does this happen on more channels than others? Is there a condition that is really bad where all On Demand is out of sync?

2.) Is the problem worse during the day or night? Or is it bad all the time?

Satch

• red_64
    Options

@HT_Greenfield It's a Samsung, and the delay only applies to SPDIF.

• red_64
    Options

@Satch Yeah. The TV is a Samsung QLED, and right, no problem with the old box, Apple TV, DVD player, and streaming apps.

TNT is ok. HBO and NBC are pretty bad. ESPN is ok I think. Golf channel is ok. USA has a delay. Day time is the same.

I'll call in tomorrow and ask for a tech out.

• Satch
    Options

Hey Red

I got the same TV Samsung model. It's a Series 8. What's yours? A small issue with mine for the last year is a Backlight Bleed in the upper left-hand corner of the screen that developed last year. A very common issue with Samsungs after about a year or two of use. I got the five year extended Geek Squad warranty from Best Buy with three years left. There are getting to be more reports of picture problems with Samsungs. My brother went through two Samsungs in less than two years! I want to get the set repaired/replaced before the warranty goes out in May 2027. People are now saying Hisense is better. My brother has that now I don't know if the Extended Warranty will allow me to switch brands. But it is an issue with the Backlight. You can't see it on a lot of scenes, but it's very noticeable on other scenes. Just not bad enough for servicing or replacement…. Yet.

I lived in an era were things lasted for 10-15 years. I am not happy about this planned obsolescence garbage.

Yea, for your issue, tune to your worst channels so the tech can get a reading. (HBO and NBC.) I am really suspecting signal or line problems. Do you have neighbors with CATV from Spectrum using this box? If you do, I wonder if they have the same issues as you?

Satch

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 721 Contributor
    Options

If the problem is only with S/PDIF optical and if the TV has it's own such output and/or HDMI ARC, you and the Spectrum tech could try connecting the soundbar to either of those TV outputs instead of the cable box optical output, which might be preferable anyway because then you could choose PCM which, assuming the soundbar is simply stereo, would be preferable.

🔗 https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00085244/

• red_64
    Options

@Satch Mine is a Q6 picked up during 2018 Thanksgiving from Sears (yep Sears LoL) for a great price. It's a beautiful 4K set, and I have no complaint (knock on wood) - can't believe it's been 5+ years already. A lot of people get their TVs from Costco because a lot of time Costco gives you extra/free extended care/warranty.

Our city is Spectrum owned, but I am not sure what boxes they have. I'll call in tomorrow. Yeah, it's started to be annoying - I rewatched SNL last night on Peacock just because NBC was so bad when I tried to watch it on Sat night. LoL.

• red_64
    Options

@HT_Greenfield No. I'm saying the TV's audio delay setting is only on SPDIF, not HDMI. Even when turning off the sound bar and use only TV's built-in speakers, the problem is still there.

• Satch
    Options

Hi Red,

Why can't you just switch audio from SPDIF to HDMI? The SPDIF might be your problem right there! I think the new World Boxes and Spectrum Guide require HDMI. I would recommend switching your audio to HDMI and than watch some HBO and NBC and that might solve this whole thing with no tech needed. Your older box may have been able to handle the choice of connections. World Boxes and Spectrum Guide to my knowledge mandate HDMI hookup. Change that setting to HDMI and report back when you can. Now I am thinking that this issue won't go away with any World Box, unless you are outputting to HDMI. And I have been with cable since 1985. I feel pretty sure about this!

Satch

• red_64
    Options

@Satch I think that I wasn't clear from my previous post: I'm currently using HDMI, not SPDIF. I was saying that the TV has an audio delay setting, but it only applies to SPDIF. You can probably see the same setting/descrption on your Q8 .

• red_64
    Options

Oh great. I just realize the Back button on the Spectrum remote stops working - the little light on the front/top of the remote blinks when I press the button, but it doesn't do anything. I've been using my Harmony so didn't even realize it. LoL.

• red_64
    Options

^Huh, the Back button works when in the Guide/Library, but not when watch TV.