Road Runner email suddenly won't send in Thunderbird

Options
MaloneRanger60
MaloneRanger60 Posts: 6 Spectator
edited February 21 in Email

Greetying! I have been using Thunderbird to manage my Road Runner email for years. Last month, it suddenly stopped being able to send emails. I switched to Apple Mail where it worked for a week or so, then that stopped sending as well. No problem receiving emails in either one. I am able to send and receive in Webmail but strongly prefer to use T'bird. Last week, it started working again until this morning where I get an error message:

Sending of the message failed.

An error occurred while sending mail: Outgoing server (SMTP) error. The server responded:  p-impout009.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net cmsmtp Connection Rejected - see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/ip/76.37.3.140 AUP#Out-1220.

I'm using the outgoing - mail.twc.com as my default server with these settings:

Description:   outgoing

Server Name:   mail.twc.com

Port:   587

User Name:   [myaccount]@nycap.rr.com

Authentication method:   Password, transmitted insecurely

Connection Security:   None

I've checked my SMTP setting and everything appears to be correct as well as speaking with Spectrum technical support who verified their accuracy. Super frustrating and I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who has come across this issue and successfully navigated it. Thank You!

Answers

• Ruben_R
    Ruben_R Posts: 84 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

I do apologize for this inconvenience. Are you receiving this message with every email that you're sending or just some of them?

• MaloneRanger60
    Options

All messages I attempt to send.

• Ruben_R
    Options

Do you have a security suite or firewall program on the computer?

The error that is showing is that the IP is being rejected.

• MaloneRanger60
    Options

Thank you for your responses, No, I don't have security or firewall program turned on. But...I am cautiously optimistic. I just changed my outgoing port to 465--everything I read online insisted it had to be 587--and I was just able to send out an email. My fingers remain crossed that this solution will stick.

• MaloneRanger60
    Options

I spoke too soon. After sending one email successfully through Thunderbird, I'm back to the same SMTP rejection. I just switched back to 587, had a sent email fail, switched back to 465 and it sent. Bizarre. And frustrating.

• Ruben_R
    Options

Is sending without any issues on 465 without any errors or bounce backs?

• MaloneRanger60
    Options

Yes, but only sometimes. Not consistently but last time i checked email was successfully sent using 465.

• MarkB8
    MarkB8 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I tried using port 587 with Security SSL/TLS but encountered timeout issues when trying to send. I changed the security to STARTTLS and it has been working so far. I am not able to connect to port 465 though.

• MaloneRanger60
    Options

I'm back to Webmail only. Nothing seems to work in terms of sending email through Apple Mail or Thunderbird. New error message:

Sending of the message failed.

The message could not be sent because connecting to Outgoing server (SMTP) mail.twc.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again.

Frustrating. Spectrum support just says it's a third party problem. Apple says it's a Spectrum problem. Mozilla is all but impossible to get any information from.

This discussion has been closed.