Spectrum App recording issues since day one

Options

I’ve had the spectrum app for three years now & recording a show has always had its issues, especially on certain channels. In the last three days everything I am recording on any channel pauses for a minute then starts up again and it either goes backwards or forwards or kicks itself right back out to live tv. This is the along with the usual blurring of the picture every so often that has been happening since I got this service. I hesitate calling spectrum because they always lie and say it is a known issue or there’s nothing wrong or it must be your Apple TV box or your Internet and it’s not any of these because it’s happening on every TV. I’ve searched online it’s happening for people with Roku, etc., my app is up-to-date. My TV is up-to-date. I don’t know how they can get away with such support service and charging such exorbitant money for their product. is anyone else having this product and what can we possibly do to get them to fix this. Has anyone put in a complaint at a state or federal level?

Best Answer

• Lyn_T
    Lyn_T Posts: 393 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Good evening @Mazel

Thank you for reaching out to us about our Cloud DVR service. Is this happening at all hours or during a certain time frame? Like evening or mornings? I recommend that you attempt to reset all the internet equipment. This can be done by unplugging the power line and removing the battery backup if you have one for both the modem and the router for a solid 3-5 minutes. Are you able to try this and let us know? -Lyn

Answers

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,321 Contributor
    Options

Hi Mazel,

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the app? I was going to suggest a signal and line check, but if your Internet is strong, that wouldn't fix anything. Do an uninstall and reinstall of the app. If the uninstall and reinstall of the app does not fix this and Internet signals are good, something is wrong with the app on Spectrum's end in your market.

Satch

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,321 Contributor
    Options

I see what you are saying,

But since this has been going on for so long, sometimes you have to do a reinstall. There could be updates and stuck firmware causing your issues, and if this was affecting everyone, there would be complaints all over the country about picture break up on the app, there haven't been. The biggest compliant is not able to pause live TV, which I think is ridiculous that they don't have this on the app or XUMO streaming box. But I would go ahead and reinstall the app, I have a feeling that otherwise this is not going to get better. How long have you had the app installed? How far back was your day one? I think there's a firmware/update conflict that needs to be cleared in your app by doing a re-install.

I am also interested in what services do you have from Spectrum? Do you have a regular Spectrum DVR for instance, or an XUMO streaming box? Is your Spectrum Internet stable? You said it was, but I want to confirm. Have you had any techs out in the last year? Maybe before you do that reinstall, even though you said, it's only the app, you might want to get a tech out to check your lines and signals. You don't want to have to do a reinstall and not have this issue resolved!

Also, can you post the following:

1.) Your Spectrum packages and services?

2.) How long you have had the Spectrum app installed?

3.) The make and model of your Apple TV device? OS system version number?

Satch

• swkdjk
    swkdjk Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I am also confirming that the Spectrum app is junk. I, like Mazel reported above, occasionally get blurring on play back but the worst problem is episodes of a program that are not recorded and, when they are recorded and I try to play them, I often get the following message from the Spectrum app:

" Unable to Complete Request

We're sorry, something didn't work quite right. Please try again later

With a box to check OK"

Most recently, this happened today and yesterday when I tried to record episodes of "CBS Mornings" on the Tampa CBS channel. Yesterday's episode would not play -- I got the msg above; and it still won't play today (same msg/reason)

Today's episode did not record at all.

If I switch to an episode of a different program in my library, that will play.

I have Spectrum Internet and TV service provided by my homeowner's association. The Internet signal is strong, so I decided not to use the set top boxes that come with the service. I watch TV only by streaming with a ROKU so added the Spectrum app/channel and have been using it for less than a year. My experience is that it is awful--not even close to the quality, functionality, and performance of most streaming apps/channels. It is extremely slow to respond to commands that are given and has problems like the ones addressed here (I have encountered more than those expressed here). If I had to pay for the app/channel, I would not use it. I also have YouTube TV but that is geographical area dependent. Since I have a home in MD but snowbird in FL, I set my area is MD. With YouTube TV, I cannot watch the DC/MD CBS channel recording of "CBS Mornings" until several hours after it has been recorded--that's why I use the Spectrum app to record the series while I am in FL. Comparing the two--no contest. YouTube TV is far superior.

I, like Mazel above, hesitate to reinstall the app due to: 1) losing my library of recorded programs and 2) the difficulty/non-user-friendly interface of setting up recordings of programs.

Spectrum: It's time to get a state-of-the-art app for customers to use

• Roblauradavis
    Roblauradavis Posts: 5 Spectator
    Options

This evening I tried to watch a LA Dodger game that I recorded earlier today. I started eating it on my other home tv. On that tv I access the Spetrum app on Apple TV. It worked ok. But then I switched to my bedroom tv to

Continue watching the game on a new model Hisense Google tv using the xumo box, and like many times before, the payback pauses on its own, sometimes starts to play again on its own, sometimes I need to back out of that recording and go back in to get it to start again. Tonight that would not work. Like many other times in Xumo, it also randomly drops the internet connection and give me a message that”Unable to Complete Request XSTRP-999”.

• Recordings_bite24
    Recordings_bite24 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

How do I uninstall the Spectrum app from my Smart TV?

Honestly, I cringe every time I have to pay my huge Spectrum bill because I spend all day, every day, fighting to get through at least one single program, to no avail.

• cwfarm
    cwfarm Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I too have had the same issue with the cloud dvr playback. I've been told by Spectrum tech support that it must be a Xumo issue and to contact them directly. I went thru to level 2 tech support with Xumo and they were absolutely no help. All 3 techs had me go thru the exact same process of updating, resetting and reconfiguring my box. And yes you lose ALL recordings. This MUST be a spectrum issue and they do not know how to fix it. I'm about a day away from taking all 4 Xumo boxes back and looking at another service.