Recommended Power-up Sequence Results in Internet Speed Restriction

Options
AnotherUser2
AnotherUser2 Posts: 2 Spectator

Problem:
When I follow the power-up sequence (modem first, wait for a stable Online status indicator and, only then, applying power to the router) recommended by Spectrum, my internet speed is restricted.

Where is the restriction?
The modem to router cable speed is capped to 100 Mbps.

How do I know this?
1) The modem's top LED Ethernet status light on the yellow Ethernet connector (rear panel) is OFF indicating Device is Connected at 100 Mbps (or less). The modem is capable of 2.5 GbE.
2) The router Internet Port statistics page indicates the WAN Port status is 100M/Full. The modem is capable of 1 GbE.
3) And, more importantly, an internet speed test (using wired connection) indicates less than 100 Mbps.

How is this corrected?
One way is to momentarily disconnect one end of the Ethernet cable (at either the modem or the router) then reconnecting the cable. Another way is to reset or power-cycle the modem.

What will change?
1) The modem's top LED Ethernet status light will indicate the Device is Connected at greater than 100 Mbps.
2) The router Internet Port statistics page indicates the WAN Port status is 1000M/Full.
3) And, more importantly, an internet speed test (using wired connection) indicates more than 100 Mbps. In my case, the internet speed doubles.

Your equipment and experience may be different.

Tagged:

Comments

• AnotherUser2
    AnotherUser2 Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

Corrections:
    • All internet speed values are for download. Upload speed is far below 100 Mbps and is essentially unaffected by this modem to router speed restriction.
    • When I run an Ethernet cable directly from the router to my computer (bypassing other speed restrictions), the internet speed test indicates the download speed is doubled quadrupled once I eliminate this speed restriction.