Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Cloud DVR functions are Slow

blackbutterfly
blackbutterfly Posts: 40 Contributor
edited August 5 in Community Archive

I got the notice that the technical difficulties on the cloud dvr plus platform have been fixed. However, the fast fwd and rewind functions are very slow and skippy on the Xumo. Also, pulling up the guide is slow. My Roku works fine. I've already restarted my modem and router just in case and that didn't help.

Answers

• Jaleesa_F
    Jaleesa_F Posts: 497 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hello @blackbutterfly

Sorry to hear that you're still experiencing issues with cDVR. I am happy to help! Are you experiencing issues with the Spectrum TV app on other devices as well?

• blackbutterfly
    edited June 17

No, I'm only having problems on my Xumo. I mentioned that the dvr functions work fine on my Roku and I've tried restarting my modem and router. The slowness only clears up after the the Spectrum app restarts on it's own. After fast forwarding (or slow forwarding in my case) through commercials it gets tired, the screen blanks out and shuts itself down and restarts. Restarting the app seems to be the solution, but there isn't a way to restart the app with Xumo. You have to manually do it by unplugging. But for how much it happens, that would mean unplugging everytime I want to watch a recording.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 5,087 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Thanks for the reply. Is the Xumo connected wireless?

• blackbutterfly

I'm using wireless internet if that's what you mean.

• James_M

Thanks. Sounds like you are getting wireless interference. Are you able to direct connect the Xumo to the modem with an ethernet cable and then test again to see if the same issue occurs?

• blackbutterfly

No, my Xumo is not close to my modem where I can plug in. I've had the Xumo box for at least 7 months and never experienced this before the technical difficulties with the cloud dvr.

• blackbutterfly

Hello,

Are there any other options other than moving my whole tv set-up to overcome what's being called "wireless interference". I see others are experiencing slowness. Also, the guide is slow to pull up and maneuver, but I didn't mention before because the ffwd/rwd issue is the most bothersome.

• James_M

Does restarting the modem and router resolve the issue? Have you tried restarting the Xumo?

• blackbutterfly
    edited June 24

I have this information in the previous posts. Restarting the modem and router doesn't resolve the problem. There isn't a way to restart the app with Xumo. You have to manually do it by unplugging it. That usually fixes it, but I shouldn't have to constantly unplug it.

• James_M

When was the last time you manually unplugged / restarted the Xumo?

• blackbutterfly

I unplugged yesterday to watch recordings. Was going to today before watching because it was slow again but didn't get around to it.

• James_M
    edited June 25

Thanks. Again, the Xumo is getting a lot of wireless interference, as opposed to the Roku, which is not. Are there other devices that use wireless frequencies near the Xumo, such as security cameras, baby monitors, or cordless phones? Also are there any solid obstructions between the modem and the Xumo, such as brick or concrete walls, or metal ductwork?

Interference can also come from other wireless networks, and is usually worse in densely populated buildings, like apartments.

• blackbutterfly

I have a cordless phone in the same room as the Xumo but not near it. I also use the wireless for my laptop. There wasn't interference before when I purchased my Xumo back in November and it was doing fine. Nothing's changed since then. The slowness started when their were reported technical difficulties and it still hasn't cleared after it's supposed to be fixed. I've seen other similar reported posts like mine since the fix.

• blackbutterfly

Is there an update on DVR fast fwd & rewind functions and guide functions being slow? It was stated previously in this posting and in another (Issues With Xumo Guide - by Mowhit) that it is due to wireless interference. This post also mentions of having to unplug/plug the Xumo box at least once a day or more. There are also 2 other similar posts (Xumo Spectrum TV App - MRoberts and Xumo DVR Still Runs Slow - kpshah). Is this being looked into as being an application issue rather than a restarting app/modem/router issue?

• Bigpete13036
    Bigpete13036 Posts: 1 Newcomer

We are having the same problem. Restarting the Xumo in the settings seems to solve the problem for some time but the problem seems to return. It is only a problem with the Spectrum app. Netflix, Max, etc. running on Xumo does not have the problem.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,668 Contributor
    edited July 6

Sup @blackbutterfly? @Bigpete13036?

When was your last service call to check your drop-line and wiring in and outside the house? Or the tap on your street? I would get a tech out to check your signals and lines. You need a tech onsite to see what is happening. Set up that appointment.

Show the tech the slowness and let him/her know about the problems starting after Spectrum said there was a problem with Cloud DVR reliability and it worked fine for you before that. Let the tech know that after Spectrum released a statement that said the issue was fixed, your Cloud DVR is still really slow.

You can also set up free signal monitoring with Spectrum. I would suggest discussing that with the tech, and setting up a 30-day trace route of your Internet signal.

Satch

• blackbutterfly

Thanks @Bigpete13036. I've tried the Exit App that's on the far right of the Menu bar if that's the one you're using to restart. It seems I had tried using it before and it wasn't working then. But it seems to work now and I don't have to get up and unplug/re-plug.

Also, thanks @Satch for the trouble shooting information. But that just seems a bit much to do when all other apps work fine on the Xumo and also on my Rokus. I'll just go with using the Exit App setting to restart which seems to be about once or twice a day.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,668 Contributor

The other options are for slowness on the Spectrum app:

1.) Reinstall the Spectrum app. Sometimes updates can conflict and a reinstall can clear out any bad data. @blackbutterfly, have you tried reinstalling the app?

2.) If the app/XUMO get to be too frustrating, switch your account to a regular DVR box. They are more reliable. don't need regular babysitting (unplugging, and rebooting.) If you have to reboot everyday something is wrong.

3.) I have gone for months and months without having to reboot my standard DVR box.

Satch

• blackbutterfly

Unfortunately the apps on the Xumo box can't be un-installed and re-installed.

This discussion has been closed.