Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

How to get all cable channels to appear on both TV and Tivo?

DRepke
DRepke Posts: 2 Spectator
edited September 9 in TV Equipment

I recently installed a new Smart TV (Samsung S95D OLED) and I have a Tivo Roamio with Cable Card connected to one of the TV's HDMI ports. The Tivo is working fine and I can, of course, access any of Spectrum Cable's available channels to view and/or record. It's very easy to get to the Tivo using The S96D's One-Connect remote and then using the Tivo remote to control it.
Right now, I have to use the Tivo to access any of the cable channels. I cannot access any of them (including local channels) directly from the TV.
I would like to keep "TV" as the DEFAULT start-up mode but be able to access all of the cable channels directly from the TV. To accomplish this, I "assume" that I would have to purchase (or rent) a cable box from Spectrum and connect the "input" directly to a coax cable carrying the cable TV signal and the "output" connected directly to the TV's "cable in" port.
Adding the Spectrum cable box "should" give me direct access to ALL of the cable channels from BOTH the TV and Tivo remotes. Correct??? Am I missing anything? I really do want to keep "TV Mode" as the DEFAULT start-up mode (instead of the Tivo) although I don't particularly like having to pay for a cable box.
Any help and/or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Answers

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 911 Contributor

No. It's irrelevant whether the set-top box is CableCARD-equipped and, now of days, cable TV STB's don't have a coax RF output and, in any case, the only thing you would connect to the TV's RF coax input is an antenna.

I take it that the TV is able to turn the box on and off with itself via HDMI CEC. Other than audio volume up/down in the case of HDMI-connected audio devices, i think that's about all you can do with CEC. Therefore you'd need to program the box into the TV remote, if possible, and, furthermore, may need to set the remote to specifically surf-signal the box instead of the TV. Otherwise, of course, you'd program the TV into the box remote and use the box remote for all the basic surfing and watching functions.

This discussion has been closed.