Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Spectrum Guide Listing Bug When Padding End Time to Back to Back Episodes of the Same Series

Satch
Satch Posts: 5,668 Contributor
edited September 24 in TV Equipment

Hey Guys,

I have noticed a small bug regarding Spectrum Guide and the setting up of series listings that is a bug. I don't have a camera to do screenshots so I think the best way is to illustrate by example. For this example, the channel number or name of the series is not relevant. But the way that customers set up the recordings seems to show this bug, Since networks always seem to run their shows a minute or two overtime, it is common for DVR uses to add end time to their recordings.

The short explanation: This bug,If users set up two episodes of the same series that are set to record one right after the other in the guide, and the user adds end time to the first and second episode in the series, the padded time for the first episode gets ignored.

The longer explanation with examples of the bug: (The name of the series is for illustration only, it is not for an actual show.)

Suppose a customer wants to record two episodes called "The Mysteries of the Mind" Season 2, episode 1 airs from 7:30PM-8:00 PM and also season 2 episode 2, which airs from 8:00-8:30

It does not matter if the shows are set up as part of a series recording or individual recordings If it is the same show, and a customer records the two episodes back to back, this is the process that happens:

Customer sets "Mysteries of the Mind" Season 2, episode 1 to record from 7:30-8:02 PM (adding two minutes of end time.)
Customer sets "Mysteries of the Mind Season 2, episode 2 to record from 8:00-8:32 PM (adding two minutes of end time)

When played back, the first episode recorded from 7:30-8:02 PM ends at 8:00. (The extra two minutes gets ignored.)

The second episode in the back to back sequence records and ends exactly as expected with the two minutes of added end time recognized.

On my experiences, this only happens when two episodes are recorded back to back and time is padded to the first episode set to record.

There is no problem if the shows are not recorded back to back. The bug only happens if the shows are part of the same series and are set back to back to record. It does not happen with individual shows, specials, sports, or movies.

I have not tested trying this with two different shows back to back recording each and padding time to each. If you guys want to test I will leave the feedback here. I also have not played around with different start times for two back to back episodes of the same series to see if that makes a difference or not.

Satch

Comments

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,292 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hey @Satch, does this happen even if you aren't recording/watching anything else at the time of the recording? This sounds like what would happen if there's not an extra tuner available to account for the overlap in time.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,668 Contributor

Hi William,

No, no tuner conflicts. The Arris 210 has four tuners so that should not be a problem. It is very rare that I have two tuners recording at once. With the first show of the same series cutting off at exactly the stop time in the guide, I will sometimes miss maybe 10 seconds like a punch line. I have discovered that if I go to the next show in the back to back recordings that starts at the scheduled time, I pick up those last 10 seconds that I missed.

Like I said, the second back to back show in the series accepts padded end times normally. For series recordings, I don't know a workaround yet. But for back to back individual recordings, I think if I start the second show say one minute early, I will pick up any missed dialogue from the end of the first show. It's not a huge bug, just a mild annoyance.

Satch

This discussion has been closed.