Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Is anyone else recently experience air displaying Spectrum News app on an air display device?

BuckWinston
BuckWinston Posts: 6 Participant

Answers

• BuckWinston

.For the past few days I've had issues where I can't get the Spectrum News App's air display to work. On my air display target device It shows a message about trouble displaying content. I've done all the restarting, rebooting, reinstalling, etc. steps trying to resolve the issue. I also tested the air display using other apps and it worked fine. I tried testing using other Spectrum news sources and discovered the air display worked fine for those other sources. Looks like my local news source based upon my zip code 11201 (Brooklyn) is blocked. When I changed my location to Queens it works fine. Not sure how to report this issue to Spectrum.

• Jaleesa_F
    Jaleesa_F Posts: 497 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hello @BuckWinston

Welcome to our Community Forums! Sorry to hear that you're having issues with our Spectrum News app, we're happy to help! When you say "air play" are you referring to casting content from one device to another?

• BuckWinston

Sorry I meant to say "AirPlay" a proprietary wireless communication protocol stack/suite developed by Apple Inc. that allows the streaming of multimedia and device screens, together with related metadata, between compatible devices.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,668 Contributor

Welcome @BuckWinston,

Some troubleshooting questions,

Is your Apple AirPlay device up to date? install any updates and than reboot the device.

Can you provide a screenshot of the error you see on Spectrum News with your Apple AirPlay device? Try rebooting the device. Does Spectrum News open than? Try uninstalling and than reinstalling the Spectrum News app on your Airplay device. Does the app work after that?

Satch

• BuckWinston

Satch, if you review my original post you'll see that I tried all the reinstalling, rebooting, etc. steps which didn't correct the problem. As far as a screen shot the TV which displays the "can't display content" message doesn't have screen shot software. I guess I could take a picture with my phone but I don't see the benefit of doing all that when I can just type out the message. The news source setting for the Spectrum News App was set to Brooklyn which is where I reside. After changing the new source to Queens the Spectrum News App displayed as desired. If I set the news source back to Brooklyn it would not display. Keeping the news source set to Queens is acceptable for me. It is a technical issue where there's a bug in the Spectrum News App.

• Satch

Thank you @BuckWinston for the updated information,

I think what it is is that Spectrum News only has a certain number of local city nodes from which they broadcast local information, but some cities that are really close by don't have a local broadcast node, so you have to set the data for the next closest city for which Spectrum local node information. In your case, Queens has the closest locals,where Brooklyn does not. Google searching, it's about a half hour driving distance. Queens is not Brooklyn, but the local Spectrum News One node distributors figure that there might not be enough of a change in information to add data for Brooklyn.

I think that since we are dealing with a huge major city in New York, and the 30 minute distance is far enough away for Brooklyn to have its own news and information data on the Spectrum News app. Under a half hour, probably not worth the effort, but a half hour or more away involving, not a suburb, but a huge city, Brooklyn should be considered to have its data added to the Spectrum News app.

Satch

• BuckWinston

I don't understand why you don't see this as a bug with the Spectrum News App. Does this support group not handle Spectrum News App? I've been a Spectrum customer for many years. I started off as a Time Warner Cable customer. I have been using the Spectrum News App for years and while it has it's limitations I've reinstalled, reconfigured, and used it on a daily basis for years. I experience this outage of getting the app to work while using a Brooklyn setting about a week ago. I've uncovered when I used the Spectrum News App to use other local settings it works fine only when it is set to Brooklyn. You said "there might not be enough of a change in information to add data for Brooklyn". If that is the case, there shouldn't be a setting in the Spectrum News App for Brooklyn because I would think users in Brooklyn with use that setting.

• Satch
    edited September 16

Sup Buck?

The way the forum works is that it is a peer to peer support network to either report issues, or provide helpful tips and information for Spectrum products and services with light moderation. The moderators send inquiry requests to the appropriate departments or developer people. The department and developer people collect data and do evaluations on whether or not something is a bug, or a feature request. I don't know enough about the Spectrum News app to ascertain whether or not it is a bug issue, or a missing data issue. A moderator needs to acknowledge this thread, and than pass it along to the Spectrum News app Development Team. The Developers make that determination.

I personally believe that the data for Brooklyn should absolutely be including on the news app. I agree with you that you should be able to set your zip code for Brooklyn and get that data on the Spectrum News app. But that decision rests with the Spectrum News app developers. They get the requests for features and bug fixes. But unfortunately are not customer-facing. The scope of how they are determining this issue when reported to them stays in the backroom of the team developers. All we can do is wait for an update. But when that will happen, or even if that will happen, is anybody's guess.

Satch

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 911 Contributor
    edited September 17

@BuckWinston : You'd know better than i would for as to whether this is a recent development but, as it stands, there is no Brooklyn Spectrum News NY1 channel in there; just Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, and Spectrum Noticias NY1 so, with a Brooklyn ZIP, i guess it's on you to pick which one of those you prefer by tapping View All Spectrum News Channels and then tap whichever one you prefer, then Close that selection pop-up, and then AirPlay away.

Otherwise, which version of the app are you running upon which version of iOS or iPadOS?

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 911 Contributor
    edited September 17

Update: Fault detected! My bad for not wringing it out more thoroughly before previously commenting. Notwithstanding the fact that Brooklyn ZIP's default to it and that it streams fine, Spectrum News NY1 Manhattan fails to AirPlay while Queens, Staten Island, and Noticias do AirPlay fine and that's all regardless of how you scare any of them up.

Download the app right on to the Apple TV and see if you get the same error with Spectrum News NY1 Manhattan with the Apple TV Spectrum News app directly (sans AirPlay, of course) and then report the one or both faults to the developers via Send Feedback under General down below where you set your News Location within 👤 Settings in the iOS or iPadOS app and then furthermore urge them to default Brooklyn to Queens instead of Manhattan if you've a mind to.

In the meantime, just tap up Queens as described in my previous comment, regardless of your News Location, and ride with it.

P.S.: If your Apple TV is so old that that the Spectrum News app isn't available for it, forget about it. Upgrade it and install the app right on it before you lose AirPlayability to the whole megillah.

🔗 https://spectrumlocalnews.com/app

• BuckWinston

It's an old Apple TV (I think generation 1) that is connected to my plasma display and which I have the latest software update. Using AirPlay with this Apple TV is not the most reliable connection but usually after one or two tries it works. A little over a week ago when Spectrum News stop playing (while set to Manhattan) I figured for a moment that my Apple TV version was no longer supported. I stumbled over a work around while reinstalling the news app on my iPad. I've been wanting to transition over to an AirPlay app running on my Amazon cube but the free versions don't work and I don't want to purchase a AirPlay app that cannot display Spectrum News content. Ideally there should be a Spectrum News App to download on my Amazon cube. Oh well, the Queens setting is fine. Thanks for validating it was the Manhattan setting that stopped playing (and that there's no Brooklyn news source).

This discussion has been closed.