Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Voicemail interference?

markfilipak
markfilipak Posts: 16 Participant

People tell me they're getting a recording that says something like "Voicemail has not been set up." That recording is not coming from my telephone answering machine. Is Spectrum interfering with my telephone answering machine? I have my telephone set to record voicemail after 6 rings, but I've never received voicemail. Can you help me?

Thanks—Mark.

Best Answer

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,668 Contributor
    edited September 18 Answer ✓

Good Afternoon Mark,

Is this a new Spectrum Voice account? If you are using a traditional answering machine, you will need to turn off Voicemail in "My Account" settings or yes, it could interfere with your answering machine. (Read below for ways to prevent this conflict.)

You can either:

1.) Set up a Voicemail Account (For people who don't have an answering machine) Or-

2.) Use your answering machine

Traditionally you don't want both active. If you use Spectrum Voicemail, you should turn off your answering machine.* If you use your answering machine, you must either turn off Voicemail, or set your Voicemail number of rings to a very high number to prevent the Voicemail system from kicking in along with the answering machine. If you have your answering machine active, and your Voicemail active at the same time, set your Voicemail rings to 10 to prevent conflicts between your Voicemail and answering machine. Make sure that if you have both Voicemail and an answering machine active, that the number of rings on the answering machine before the answering machine picks up. is less than the number of rings before Voicemail picks up. I recommend if you go this route to set your answering machine to pick up after five rings, and your voicemail to pick up after ten rings.

Here is how to set up Voicemail (Turn it on) Answering Machine off or you don't have one.)

https://www.spectrum.net/support/home-phone/voicemail-setup-and-features-bhn-and-twc (Activating Voice Mail.)

Here is how to disable Voicemail (You have an answering machine)

Voicemail is found under "Call Forwarding" in the Voicezone manager in your My Account settings.

To disable voicemail, sign into your My Account

go to Home Phone (under Your Services)

select the "Manage Voice" button -> Settings -> then Call Forwarding (select edit)

-> Toggle "Forward Calls" to "Off", you will see the voicemail radio button go gray -> last,

Be sure to select "Save Changes".

*Alternately, with Voicemail active, you can set the rings when calls go to voicemail to a higher number, such as 10. This will allow voicemail to be a back up, in the event that the answering machine is not working. 

Satch  

Answers

• markfilipak
    markfilipak Posts: 16 Participant
    edited September 23

Thank you, Satch, and Hello,

You wrote:
    "To disable voicemail, sign into your My Account
    go to Home Phone (under Your Services)
    select the "Manage Voice" button -> Settings -> then Call Forwarding (select edit)
    -> Toggle "Forward Calls" to "Off", you will see the voicemail radio button go gray -> last,
    Be sure to select "Save Changes"."

I did that, but it didn't fix the issue. Here is my current setup:

VoiceZone > Settings Summary > Call Forwarding > Simultaneous Ring > Turn Simultaneous Ring On/Off > (o) Off > Save Changes

VoiceZone > Settings Summary > Call Forwarding > Forward Calls When No Answer > [Off] > Save Changes

VoiceZone > Settings Summary > Call Forwarding > Forward Calls When Busy > [Off] > Save Changes

VoiceZone > Settings Summary > Call Forwarding > Forward Selected Calls > [Off] > Save Changes

VoiceZone > Settings Summary > Call Forwarding > Forward All Calls > [Off] > Save Changes

Spectrum was still interfering with my phone's answering machine. On my third call to support, a lady named Aria succeeded turning Spectrum voicemail OFF. I don't know how she did it. The account number is [Redacted]