Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Still not keeping my preferences

The app for Apple TV still—STILL—doesn't retain my settings. Guide sorting, filters, startup channel—nothing sticks. I have to reset my preferences every time I turn it on. What good is having settings/preferences if they don't stay where I set them? Also, the app sometimes shows the login screen while it loads, but moves on from it. And sometimes simply refuses to load. And sometimes still gives the '1004' networking error at startup (pressing "OK" clears it, but still annoying). Running app version 3.6 on Apple tvOS 18.0 on an Apple TV 4K (3rd generation) with Ethernet connection.

The old CRT TV with an antenna was way more reliable—and easier to use—than this.

Best Answers

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,668 Contributor
    Answer ✓

What's up?

How long has this been happening? Have you checked for updates? Uninstalled and reinstalled the app? Rebooted the device?

Satch

• lenf67
    lenf67 Posts: 10 Spectator
    Answer ✓

Many months now. Constantly check for updates—both app and tvOS. As you can see, I'm running the latest versions of both app and OS. Done the whole reinstall/reboot/etc. routine many times. I've seen on this forum that other people have the same problems, so I know it's not just me, it's the app. Software applications have had preferences for decades now. They're not a mystery. Why are they such a big problem for Spectrum?

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 817 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hello @lenf67

I'm sorry the app isn't saving your settings. Do you have a different device you can try? We'd want you see if changing the settings on a different device saves them on that device and the Apple TV or if they aren't saving on any devices.

Answers

• lenf67

@Renee_T

No other device, sorry. Doesn't Spectrum test their software on the platforms they support before releasing it? It seems they should make sure everything works properly on a device that they sell in their own stores—even going so far as to offer a Spectrum-branded remote for it.

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 817 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

We do extensive testing before releasing the app and updates to it on a platform. That's part of the reason why I was asking if you had a different device like a smart phone or even a computer where we could try to see if it's just the Apple TV that's not holding the settings or if it's potentially an issue with the account not saving them.

Typically that 1004 error is associated with the cDVR service. I was able to locate the account and I'm not seeing cDVR as being active. What is the wording that's coming up when that error message appears? Also, do you only get that message on start up or are you getting it after changing any of the settings?

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 911 Contributor

My bad for chiming in without even having an Apple TV that's up to snuff enough for me to try to replicate the idiosyncrasy with, but just curious if this Spectrum TV app preferences wash happens if/when you somehow scare up the Spectrum TV app via the Apple TV app and, if so, if you restart the Apple TV and then scare up the Spectrum TV app directly, are the preferences still gone.

🔗 https://support.apple.com/en-us/102252

🔗 https://support.apple.com/en-us/118624

🔗 https://support.apple.com/guide/tv/adjust-settings-for-specific-apps-atvbee653159/tvos

• lenf67

@Renee_T

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about a device like a Roku. Yes, have an iPhone and an iPad, both running iOS 17.7 and Spectrum TV app 9.23. They both retain my preferences and filters. But I don't understand how that helps in this case. They're different animals than Apple TV and tvOS, yes? The iOS and tvOS interfaces are totally different, for one thing. The app versions differ between the platforms, which says to me they're not the same code plopped on different platforms, are they?

As for the error message, it only shows at startup, but doesn't come up every time; it's random. It says something about the network/internet connection. When I press "OK", it goes away and the app finishes loading.

• lenf67

@HT_Greenfield

I never load the Spectrum app from the Apple TV app, only from the home screen, if that's what you mean. It usually loads automatically, since it's always the last app (only app, really) I run before turning the Apple TV off. Does that answer your question?

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,668 Contributor

@HT_Greenfield

I never load the Spectrum app from the Apple TV app, only from the home screen, if that's what you mean. It usually loads automatically, since it's always the last app (only app, really) I run before turning the Apple TV off. Does that answer your question?

Can you try this to see if it makes a difference? Load the Spectrum app from the Apple TV app to see if preferences are saved using this method?

Also, how old is the Apple TV? Apple is known for releasing new versions of products within as little as three years time I wonder if Apple or Spectrum pushed an update through that caused this behavior on older Apple TV's? Research needs to find out the following:

1.) Does loading the Spectrum app from the Apple TV app save preferences?

2.) Does a newer version of Apple TV resolve this issue of preferences not holding when loading the Spectrum app from the Apple TV Home Screen ?

3.) Can anyone with an Apple TV load the Spectrum app from the home screen and report if preferences are holding or not? If preferences are holding, what version of Apple TV are you using?

Satch