You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Spectrum TV App freezing and pixilation on Xbox one and Xbox series X - KNOWN ISSUE ANSWERED

Xboxuser
Xboxuser Posts: 6 Participant

This only happens while trying to run the spectrum app on Xbox consoles. Horrible pixelation and freezing. The Xbox consoles can run any other streaming app perfectly but when it comes to the spectrum app it does not want to run correctly at all. Someone please help with this.

Best Answer

Answers

• Xboxuser
    edited November 2020

Yes, I reset my router, reset my modem, reset my xbox, reset my TV, unplugged everything, plugged it back in, all of that. I also uninstalled/reinstalled the app but nothing changes. My connection is great, my download speed is great, all other streaming apps work flawlessly. It is when and only when I use the Spectrum app on my xbox that I get issues. By trial and error alone, this is all pointing too the spectrum app having some sort of conflict with xbox consoles. As you can see there are numerous people with the same issue that has not been resolved.

• MZan
    MZan Posts: 2 Spectator
    edited November 2020

my post below was originally posted here - https://community.spectrum.net/discussion/comment/170302#Comment_170302

The same thing happens for me. The spectrum app works great on any iOS device and on my Roku TV. But, it constantly freezes/pixelates when using the spectrum app on my Xbox One. I’ve tried everything mentioned above and no change. It’s especially frustrating when watch sports, because when it happens you miss the play. See screen shot attached. I was able to snap a photo on what it looks like for me.

Thank you,

Mz

• Xboxuser
    edited November 2020

I hear ya man. Same exact thing for me. All the troubleshooting is pointing to a software issue since all the hardware is working as it should. The Spectrum app is not liking the Xbox interface at all. Hopefully the Spectrum software engineers can cook something up to address this conflict. It just needs to be brought to their attention.

• Steelers909
    Steelers909 Posts: 2 Spectator
    edited November 2020

I have an Xbox series X with a hardwired connection at 450 MB per second. The spectrum app freezes is pixelated. All other devices in the house such Apple and Roku are flawless. There was another discussion about this issue that was closed by the spectrum rep and he recommended to to start a new discussion. I don’t know what the issue is but this needs to be fixed immediately.

• Xboxuser

Thank you for reaching out. Just to clarify, when I say pixelation I mean random blobs of it on the screen and other weird warping of the picture. I do not mean general overall pixelation synonymous with low connection speed or bad connection. I already had a Spectrum technician test my connection inside my house and confirmed it was working perfectly. This is not a poor connection issue.

• RichWi
    RichWi Posts: 9 Participant
    edited November 2020

Please ensure the developers understand that this occurs when there is a decent amount of movement on the screen. For example, a football game or commercials with a alot movement.

All of the recommended steps do not resolve the problem. I've tried it on and xbox one and an xbox series x. My network connection shows speeds over 400Mbps when testing speed on xbox(see attached).

So it is unlikely to be my connection and since it occurs on multiple devices, it is unlikely to be the devices.

This almost looks like a compression issue within the app or feed that the app pulls the video from being too compressed to accommodate the movement.

Additionally, my wifi connected android pixel 3XL phone, which gets its wifi from the same network, has no issues with pixelated feeds.

• Anotherboxuser123
    Anotherboxuser123 Posts: 1 Newcomer

Same here.. I’m using the Xbox series x app too because spectrum could not connect my DVR because of COVID.. so I’ve been told* also... the rokus work fine I’m guessing you guys need to update the app to work fine for the series x

• RichWi
    edited November 2020

@James_M, there are numerous other threads that keep getting closed by admins saying the same thing. The troubleshooting steps do not resolve the problem and connection is not the issue.

I have tried replacing the HDMI cable, fully shutting down the XBox Series X and unplugging it, changing the optional tv settings on the XBox Series X, and tried using wireless instead of wired.

My TV model is a Vizio E3D420VX. 1920x1080 with Vertical Freq of 60 and Progressive.

This picture is from my xbox series x which has a wired connection:

My phone and PC, using WiFi, from the same router doesn't have this problem. My Xbox One, original model (WiFi), running on a very old projection HDTV doesn't appear to have the issue today but I only watched a few moments to check. It had same issue yesterday.

Other live streaming apps like Youtube and Facebook watch are working without issue.

The quality issue is so bad that it is leading people to consider other services (just see other threads and reddit). This should be a severity one incident and be worked as a warranty defect by your development team for immediate emergency release.

• Antal
    Antal Posts: 1 Newcomer

I’m in the same boat! Internet is working fine and the app works fine on the xbox one x but not on the Xbox series x. I also feel it’s a software issue.

• ErikMastrianni
    ErikMastrianni Posts: 2 Spectator

Same here. The spectrum app is the only streaming app with constant issues. It is unwatchable. Also using Xbox series x

• RichWi
    edited November 2020

Further usage tonight I have been able to watch Discovery with no pixelation. I watched the space launch and Alaska the Last Frontier and didn't see the problem. If I switch to NBC to watch Sunday night football, the pixelation comes back immediately. Then if I go back to Discovery, the pixelation goes away again.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,609 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hello all,

I have an update from this morning. We have received a confirmation from our network engineers that there is a known issue with this game system and the Spectrum TV App that impacts video quality. Our engineers are working to resolve the issue, however, there is not an estimated timeframe. Please look for a future update that will include a fix.

We appreciate your patience. I will leave this discussion open for comments, but I can share that no additional examples are needed at this time.

• RichWi

@James_M, I have watched a complete college football game on ESPN this evening on my Xbox Series X without any pixelation! Hopeful that this means the issue is resolved?

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,609 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

I have watched a complete college football game on ESPN this evening on my Xbox Series X without any pixelation! Hopeful that this means the issue is resolved?

@RichWi

Thanks for the update, glad to hear it! I know that issue was priority, but I am not seeing it marked as resolved. I will keep an eye on it and provide an update when our engineers close the ticket.

This discussion has been closed.