You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Home phone dropping after 30 minutes

Options
cbgram
cbgram Posts: 2 Spectator
My Spectrum voice home phone keeps dropping after 30 minutes. It happens continuously! I had a service rep come out, he couldn’t find the problem! The phone is plugged into the number one modem plug. What can I do to fix this proble

Best Answer

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,092 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @cbgram! Welcome to our community. I've split your comment into its own post so we can focus on fixing your issue here.

A couple questions to start off; Are you losing internet service too or just phone? Does the phone light go off on the modem? Do you get any messages on your cordless phone screens (if you have them)? Have you tried rebooting the modem?

Answers

• Wildman
    Wildman Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I have the same issue and it's only the phone that shuts off after 30 minutes about. I've rebooted modem and still does it. I made sure I was in port 1 on the modem. Phone won't work in port 2. Sure like to solve this - people have this issue all over the country - ugh!

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,092 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Hi @Wildman, welcome to our community!

Are you losing internet service too or just phone? Does the phone light go off on the modem? Do you get any messages on your cordless phone screens (if you have them)?

• yearof30
    yearof30 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I have the exact same issue. If I'm on a phone call that reaches 30 minutes in length the call drops. This is happening only on our home phone and has been happening for quite some time. Internet does not cut out as far as I can tell, just the call drops consistently at 30 minutes in.

• hankaberle
    hankaberle Posts: 7 Participant
    Options

I also have the same issue. The phone cuts off at exactly 30 minutes every time. I will be contacting the FCC if nothing is done about it.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,729 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

@yearof30 & @hankaberle,

Sorry for any issues. If restarting the modem does not resolve the issue, then we suggest either swapping the modem at a local store or setting up a service call to replace the modem and have the lines checked.

Thanks!

• DavidJ_123456
    DavidJ_123456 Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

While using the home phone, it goes drops the call after 30 minutes. Modem and internal wiring are all good.

• DavidJ_123456
    DavidJ_123456 Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

Just lose phone, not internet and no messages on the display

• Cheesehead333
    Cheesehead333 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

What if swapping out modem doesn’t work? Was on hold with medical equipment supplier for over 30 mins…line went dead I called back again and after 30 mins line went dead…lines are fine…

• akg
    akg Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I'm having the same problem. Technicians came out and ran a new cable line. Modem has been rebooted multiple times. Calls still drop after exactly 30 minutes. Funny thing is that if I make the call it drops after 30 minutes, but if someone calls me it does not disconnect and I can talk as long as I want. The big problem is when I have to make a business call and I'm on hold and it cuts me off at 30 minutes. SPECTRUM PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!

• Plawinski1
    Plawinski1 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

After having spectrum come out to check my home and portable phone they still drop after 30 minutes. Have tried rebooting and other suggestions technician has told me to try if it keeps on happening. Nothing clears this situation up. Now what do I do?

• Tif12_
    Tif12_ Posts: 1 Spectator
    Options

rebooted tested modem ect. line still drops after 30 minutes. I want a refund on my bill. i also was promised a call back to fix this problem but reading below doesnt seem spectrum has corrected the issue.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,729 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

@akg, @Plawinski1 & @Tif12_

Sorry for any issues. If restarting the modem does not resolve the issue, then we suggest either swapping the modem at a local store or setting up a service call to replace the modem and have the lines checked.

Thanks!

• King_Jules
    King_Jules Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I am having the same problem also. After 30 minutes the call drops, while my internet is still working. This needs to be resolved. This is not a hardware issue, this is an issue on Spectrum's end.

• Rev_Claire92
    Rev_Claire92 Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Me too for months already SPECTRUM NEEDS TO FIX ...WHAT CAN WE DO?

• cbgram
    cbgram Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

My issue of my phone dropping after 30 minutes has been fixed! Spectrum brought me out a new modem. I haven’t had that problem any more since he installed the new modem. Thank you all, I appreciate all of your suggestions!

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,321 Contributor
    edited September 2023
    Options

Guys,

We had this issue with our Spectrum Voice landline phone and it turned out that the headset in the phone needed a new fresh battery. Went to replace the battery phone now works fine. (Make sure that battery is new from the store for best results and get a high-quality brand.) Bargain and generic brands can lose their power faster and not be as good.

Before replacing the battery the Internet/Phone modem was fine. WE Energies recently put in all new lines after a huge storm knocked out power to our county for about four days over the summer.

The headset batteries in your landline phone will last for several years. Remember to change your phone each night by returning the headset to the base cradle. When the battery starts to die, you won't get a warning. The common characteristic is after about 20-30 minutes the line just goes dead while the Internet is fine.

Satch

• awboyd
    awboyd Posts: 17 Participant
    Options

I am having this same issue. Have had 3 techs and a tech supervisor out in the past month and all of the escalation tickets keep getting closed and dispatch keeps calling wanting to send yet another tech out. No issues with the line or signal strength. Spectrum call logs confirm it started on July 12, 2023. Though it may have been plan related so switched plans. While I was on an older TWC plan calls always dropped at 30:36, switched to a Spectrum plan and now they drop at exactly 31:00. No other service issues and it only affects outbound calls, no issues with inbound calls, no issues with internet or tv. I just called into phone repair again and was told they need 3 call examples within 24 hours.

• Satch
    Options

Everyone,

Please read my above comment if you are having phone problems but not Internet problems with calls disconnecting. Put new fresh batteries in your phone's headset. Worked for us, may work for others as well.

Satch

• awboyd
    Options

This is a bigger issue than just phone batteries, something changed within their voice network around July 12th. I have reproduced this issue using multiple phones plugged directly into the modem/MTA. The issue only occurs on outgoing calls, no issues with incoming calls. Call always drops at exactly 30/31 minutes - 30 minutes based on test calls to my cell phone and 31 minutes based on the spectrum call logs you can see online.

• awboyd
    Options

I called back into Phone Repair this evening with my examples but was then told that wasn't of any use to them since it was happening on all numbers, not just a specific number. Talked back and forth with agent (he was not very nice) and eventually the call hit the 30-minute mark and dropped the call, the irony. I attempted to call both of the tech supervisors that had been given their contact info from the techs that had been out for the past month but was not able to reach them. I called back into Phone Repair and got a much friendlier person, they said they have started getting a lot more of these calls lately, she knew exactly the issue I was talking about. She suggested I keep the appointment for next week and get the modem swapped out and see what happens. I'll post again next week after the modem swap.

• Satch
    edited September 2023
    Options

Guys,

If you are having problems, post your city, state, and zip code. @awboyd Wow! Issue since July 12. That is a long time. Keep us posted on the modem swap. For reference, what modem do you have now?(Model #?) Is it rented from Spectrum?

Satch

• awboyd
    Options

I am in North/Central NC - modem/mta model maybe helpful to, I have a Spectrum EU2251 modem that I have had for 3 years with no issues. The last person I talked to did say some have been reporting it since June.

• hgw33
    hgw33 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I am in upstate New York and have been having this issue for a lot longer than July 12th. My mother is the only one I usually speak to for over 30 minutes and we always assumed it was on her end because of her terrible service. On a long call today with a business and the call dropped 3 different times at the 30-31 minute mark. Finally had them call me back and was able to speak for over 30 minutes without the call dropping. Not a battery issue with my handset as I have multiple and it doesn't matter which one I'm on. Internet continues to work fine. Definitely a Spectrum issue. Also have the EU2251 modem.

• Satch
    edited September 2023
    Options

Guys,

Early indications might need to take a look at the EU2251 modem causing this issue. Everyone, please make sure to indicate your modem model number when reporting. It should be on the back, bottom, or the side of the device.

Satch

• Rev_Claire92
    Rev_Claire92 Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

It's been many months at least 4 to 6 mths I'm sick in bed so aggravating please fix

• Satch
    Options

Guys,

It sounds like there are two options here with this 30-minute phone disconnect thing:

1.) Wait for an update to fix this on the EU2251 modem. (That could take more months of frustration.)

OR

2.) Call Spectrum to replace that EU2251 modem, or exchange the modem at a Spectrum store for a different model. If a store is not near you, call Spectrum, explaining the issue, and a tech will come out with a different model modem. (Recommended.)

Satch

• Cagney13
    Cagney13 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I had the issue of calls dropping after 30 minutes. Technician came out approximately 6 weeks ago and had never heard of such a problem. He changed out my modem and it was fine until 2 days ago. All of sudden it’s dropping again at 30 minutes. 3 times today alone! Thanks to this forum I looked at the model and I do have the EU2251 modem. I will go to Spectrum Monday and change it! Thank you!

• Satch
    Options

Important Note,

Spectrum really needs to remind all CSR's/techs across the country that the EU2251 modem drops calls after 30 minutes and pull that model from distribution. I have noted on my cloud accounts to make a note in the work order when calling that I don't want an EU2251 modem and all others should do the same!

If you calling, using social media to contact Spectrum, tell them that you had a tech that told you the EU2251 is dropping calls every 30 minutes and you don't want that model number!

If for some reason you don't have an EU2251 and it has been years since you have changed your landline phone's headset batteries, replace the batteries with fresh ones in your headset if you are also getting the 30 minute call drop,

Satch

• awboyd
    Options

I learned last week that it is a combination of where your number lives within their network and the EU2251 modem. I received a call last week from a level 4 engineer in telephone operations asking if I could troubleshoot this issue with them. They moved my number to another area on their network and then we did a test call and did not experience the dropped call issue. They then moved my number back to its original location and we repeated the test and the call dropped. They said the issue is after 15 minutes a SIP reinvite is not being sent which causes the call to drop 15 minutes later at the 30-minute mark. They were looking into what was different between were my number lives and where it was moved too for this test, but I have not heard back since then.

This discussion has been closed.