How do you stop spam with no sender?

Options
jiminmb
jiminmb Posts: 4 Spectator

I have been getting many spam emails without a sender in the from field.

These can not be blocked. I can move them to junk.

Is there a way to block no-sender emails?

Help!

Best Answer

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,318 Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

Guys,

It seems that a lot of people are having trouble with this. Let's see what a moderator suggests.

Satch

Answers

• Satch
    Options

Hello and Welcome!

Go to your filters and blocked settings in Spectrum email, and block the entire domain from where the spam is originating. (Example: If the spam is coming from the domain, makingmoney.com, go to block a domain by entering @makingmoney.com in the Add block sender box.) Here is more help:

Satch

• jeremy1069
    jeremy1069 Posts: 24 Contributor
    Options

There is no domain name in these E-Mails. You can't block them as a result. Everybody is getting them it seems

• jiminmb
    Options

Thanks for your answer.

But unfortunately, it doesn't help as there is no sender information to block. The sender field contains no sender.

This just started last week. I get 4 to 5 daily with no sender information. You can not block blank senders.

Even if I could find out the sender, which I can't, they would change daily.

Outlook has a way to block this in rules. I can't find this in twc.com

• jeremy1069
    Options

For privacy purposes, I blacked out my E-Mail address since it shows the my E-Mail address as the sender in this list. Here's what all of my inboxes have been flooded with since last month. The ones with wi.rr.com are the ones in question. I was able to get the fake Norton ones to go straight to the filter just by putting those terms into the custom filters. I get about 5 of those a day ontop of the ones in question with no sender.

• jiminmb
    Options

Again, you have a sender you can block, and these new spam emails have no sender to block.

• Satch
    Options

Hi Jeremy!

When you move them to junk/spam, that should train the system that they are spam.

Satch

• jiminmb
    Options

Thanks I hope so after a week no luck.

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,085 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Hey @jeremy1069, thanks for the screenshot and additional information. I did not realize it showed your own email as the sender. Unless you also see the emails in your sent folder it means those emails are spoofed emails.

If you received a spoofed email claiming to be from Charter Communications, don't alter the email and forward the email in its entirety, including email header information to phishing@charter.net .

If you received a spoofed email claiming to be from a company other than Charter Communications, forward the email in its entirety to the company that is being spoofed. Most organizations also have information on their websites about reporting unwanted communications or abuse.

You should also forward the phishing email to the Federal Trade Commission at spam@uce.gov and the Anti-Phishing Working Group at reportphishing@antiphishing.org.

• jeremy1069
    Options

When there is no sender, it shows my own E-Mail as shown on the screenshot. But in the E-Mail itself, From: is blank. So trying to block the sender does nothing.

These E-Mails seem to have eased up within the last 24 hours. I only received 1 so far. Still getting a ton of fake McAfee and Norton E-Mails. Both come from an inet2.org domain. I have them go straight to the spam folder.

• SteveL3
    SteveL3 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I'm not holding my breath. I wasted about an hour the first time with someone at Spectrum who had me set up a filter "no sender" but of course the email sender is not "no sender" - the second person gave another direction and after that didn't work, they admitted there was nothing that they could do. The bad guys are winning.

• Don_from_LA
    Don_from_LA Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

im getting tons of spam emails all from (No Sender). With that I cant block them because I cant see who is sending. I cant block by email address, domain, anything. And its happening to all my @ca.rr.com emails starting a week ago. I mainly check my mail using my mac or my phone. But its suspicious that its happening to all 4 of my spectrum emails.

• jeremy1069
    Options

It's happening to pretty much every one with a legacy Roadrunner E-Mail as far as I know. One of my E-Mails is not publicly listed anywhere and was never given to anybody else, so there's no reason any spammer would have it unless they had a list of every E-Mail on the server. They don't support these anymore, so any problems with it tend to not get solved for a long time. This has happened a few times within the last 5 years or so. Eventually it stops for awhile, and starts back up

• Beeper
    Beeper Posts: 11 Participant
    edited September 2023
    Options

The phishing emails started for me (and everyone that I know with a wi.rr address) in August.

The from: shows my email address for most of them. I get 3 to 7 everyday in each of 5 email accounts.

Marking them as spam does nothing.

• Satch
    edited September 2023
    Options

Guys,

If the above suggestions have not helped, why not switch to a non-ISP web-based email? Get an ad-blocker to stop the ads for each browser you use. I recommend Ghostery. Blocks ads even on You Tube Videos and trackers in web-mail. Use Yahoo Mail, Gmail, or Outlook.com. All are great. Here are helpful links

gmail.com

outlook.com

yahoomail.com

For web-blocking and tracker blocking

ghostery.com

They all work with Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Firefox. You should be able to set up two-step authentication as an option, which Spectrum Mail does not provide. Hope this helps!

Tip- If you already have a Microsoft Account, you automatically have a web version of Outlook, (Outlook.com.) If you already have a Google Account, you automatically have Gmail. Simply log in to your account(s) to use them. Google also gives you Google Drive, and Microsoft gives you One Drive. Both have integrated on-line Office Suites.

Satch

• jeremy1069
    Options

That's great, except I have been using the same E-Mail address for 16 years. Why should I have to change it?

• Beeper
    edited September 2023
    Options

Spectrum hasn't been able to block much of the bombardment of phishing emails during the last month, but when I send an email from my gmail account to my Spectrum email, it gets blocked.

Message blocked

Your message to xxxxxxx@wi.rr.com has been blocked. See technical details below for more information.

The response was:

Message rejected. See https://support.google.com/mail/answer/69585 for more information.

• chrisjhumphrey
    chrisjhumphrey Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Spectrum needs to add an option to create a filter with the choice "in the header. These no sender spams have an email address in the return path in the header, but Spectrum webmail AI only checks to, from, subject and recipient. Recently, about 3 months ago - ALL my safe senders, contacts and mail marked not spam are going to spam. Nightmare for the account that is a business account.

• Satch
    edited September 2023
    Options

Here are instructions,

If you want to transfer Spectrum email to a Gmail account for those interested. Omit Method 2- Method 2 goes into downloading third party software, and I don't know anything about the software:

The reason for the change as someone inquired above is that Spectrum does not have two-way security authentication where as Gmail. Yahoo Mail, and Outlook.com have this protection. It is a security issues. Modern webmail security is better than Spectrum ISP mail security because webmail is more up-to-date.

The main problem is that Spectrum email was provided as a curtousy to legacy TWC Road Runner accounts back in the early 2000's. Spectrum does there best to add small security updates to it, but those Road Runner paremeters are now about fifteen to twenty years old, and are not good for security. Spectrum email is OK for communicating with friends and family. But don't use them for banking and credit card transactions, because of security issues. Use Spectrum for CATV, Voice, Internet, and Mobile. Use web-based email for email.

Satch

• drbruin
    drbruin Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

This seemed to work on my ca.rr.com account using the Spectrum mail program:

Open one of the emails.

Go to View Header in the top menu.

You will see something like :

Received: from p-impin028.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net ([47.43.26.183])

Then go to Settings > Blocked Senders > Create New Filter > email address or domain

Enter pkvw.co.charter.net > Add

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 702 Contributor
    Options

@drbruin : that's your Charter Spectrum incoming email relay server and the blocking and filtering parameters only apply to the the From: email address any way. @kbpr1600 's technique is perfect‼️

• Beeper
    Options

A few of the bombardment of phishing emails are starting to go to the spam folder.

Unfortunately, Spectrum is sending legit emails to me from ebay into the spam folder.

• Satch
    Options

"I Have Had Roadrunner Email For Many Years, Why Should I Consider Changing to Modern Webmail?"

This is because webmail is more modern, and has better security. Such as two-way authentication to help stop spam. Spectrum email is provided as a courtesy off of ancient Road Runner technology. It's unfortunately not secure enough for modern times, especially for things like on-line shopping and banking. Hackers know this, and use security exploits to take advantage of these issues!

Even if you have never given your email to no one else, it doesn't matter, You go to a bad site online, you click on some malicious ad in a Facebook, YouTube, or Twitter page, you run the risk of getting hacked and getting on spam mailing lists one way or the other.

Cable providers are for things like Internet, TV, Phone, and mobile, They are not "Email people" because that is unfortunately not the bulk of their business. From time to time, they might issue small security updates. However, because the foundation of that technology is almost twenty years old, it's like bandaging a train wreck.

G mail, Yahoo Mail, Outlook, are constantly evolving with responding to changing times and security threats. If you really want to stop modern spam, you have to move to a modern email provider. A modern email provider who's main business is email.

Satch

• Satch
    Options

Guys,

I recommend very strongly that you switch from Spectrum email to a web-based email program of your choosing, Use an ad-blocker to get rid of the email ads. Ghostery is outstanding!

Satch

This discussion has been closed.