You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Home phone dropping after 30 minutes

Options
2»

Answers

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,321 Contributor
    Options

@awboyd ,

Thank you for the two variables being considered with the EU2251 dropping calls and the variable being the proximity to where a customer lives. It was great that the level 4 engineer supervisor got in touch with you and offered the explanation:

They said the issue is after 15 minutes a SIP reinvite is not being sent which causes the call to drop 15 minutes later at the 30-minute mark. They were looking into what was different between were my number lives and where it was moved to for this test,

Two questions:

1.) Do you have a different model modem that now works for Spectrum Voice?

2.) How far did they have to move the EU2251 to show the difference on whether the call dropped or not?

Satch

"

• Satch
    Options

Guys,

Any updates on the EU 2251 modem dropping Spectrum Voice calls, and the rage from where you live to the network proximity issue? If a moderator could chime in on this, it would be great! Thank you!

Satch

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 718 Contributor
    Options

I'm guessing that the implication is that they temporarily routed the modem to a different SIP server and that the difference they are looking into has only to do with SIP heuristics rather than proximal distance.

• awboyd
    awboyd Posts: 17 Participant
    Options

I did receive a call back the other day that they were able to reproduce the issue on a test line in their office but no resolution yet. I asked about the modem and was told that changing the modem may not make a difference since it's more of where your number lives in their network vs the model (maybe, maybe not). I'm not too exciting about swapping my modem out just to see if it fixes it or not and creating another issue so trying to wait this out. There is a note on my account to call back about a credit once the issue is resolved. I'll give them a 1-2 weeks and call back again to see if there is any progress. I really wish they would make the call agents aware vs sending out tech after tech for no reason.

• Satch
    Options

Comments noted @awboyd Thank you!

However, it seems that those replacing the EU 2251 modem no longer have the issue. If customers still have the issue, I would replace the headset batteries. (New fresh batteries, name-brand only.)

Concerning the investigation:

They said the issue is after 15 minutes a SIP reinvite is not being sent which causes the call to drop 15 minutes later at the 30-minute mark. They were looking into what was different between were my number lives and where it was moved to for this test,

It seems that the different model modems are not affected by the above.

Satch

• Torres720
    Torres720 Posts: 3 Spectator
    Options

My calls keep hanging up and I haven't had the service for a month.

• Satch
    Options

Hi @Torres720,

Have you done the above steps?

1.) Unplug modem/router for five minutes than reconnect each one separately, Modem first, than router.

2.) Replaced batteries in your phone's headset with fresh ones? (This worked for me!)

3.) Had a tech out to check your lines and modem?

4.) Swapped out the modem for a different model?

Satch

• DebraDoll
    DebraDoll Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited November 2023
    Options

Wow! And I thought this nightmare was only mine in Ulster County NY! With NYC Retiree hotline hold times up to 2 hours imagine my frustration with calls being dropped at exactly the 31 minute mark redialing, and being dropped to the bottom of the cue over and over, day after day…..E31U2V1 Modem

• Bogeyjoe72
    Bogeyjoe72 Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

I have been having the same issue for weeks. Calls drop at exactly 30 minutes. It is not the batteries. I thought it was the phones and we went and purchased brand new phones made sure they were charged. Calls still drop. We have the Eu2251 modem as well. I will check to see if I can get it swapped to see if it fixes the issue.

• Bogeyjoe72
    Bogeyjoe72 Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Spoke to tech via phone who advised me to swap my modem but get a different model than the Eu2551. Also said she would note the account so they don’t give me the same model. Drove over to the local Spectrum store only to find out the only modem model they have is the EU2251. So how does that work then?

• awboyd
    Options

The en2251 has known issues with internet service, probably want to avoid that one as well. I talked with a tech supervisor again in Thursday about the issue and it’s starting to pop up everywhere now.

• TJNJ
    TJNJ Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I have the same problem. Spectrum has come in to my home twice. I have 2 new modems. The problem is with spectrum and their equipment or programs. Only when I make the call after minutes I am disconnected. I have fresh batteries in my phone. It is not us! It is Spectrum. Please have someone look in to this issue. You have several complaints.

• Executive71oc
    Executive71oc Posts: 1 Spectator
    Options

My ATT cordless landline drops outgoing calls at 31 minutes. Incoming calls to my ATT cordless landline don’t drop. I contacted Spectrum on 11/7/23. They said it’s a known issue in the east coast. They don’t have a resolution at the moment. I’m in Orange County, California. My modem is an EU2251 that I just got this year. I’ve restarted modem and router numerous times. ATT cordless phone is brand new. My previous phone was replaced because I thought that was the issue. Please assist. Thanks.

• astrojohn
    astrojohn Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

They blame the EU2251 (on my 2nd one - tech said it was the best modem they had and it had no issues!!) BUT I'm not totally convinced its the modem. My issues started in Mar 2023 with a several year old modem. Replaced it in August, worked for a few days after Spectrum replaced my drop from the street. Repeated the whole process in September, including the cable drop and new modem. Then again in October. STill have the 31 minute drop problem. Tech support said it was the EU2251 and E21U2v1 modems that were the problem and he wanted me to go to the Spectrum store to get another one - not these...Can't see how that will fix anything since my old modem suddenly started dropping calls in MARCH!

• Satch
    Options

I am very surprised that this is still an issue for some people.

But if you are having problems, keep letting Spectrum know. It seems to be isolated areas between the modem and where you live. I am actually concerned about replacing my modem for these reasons, (From 2018, but works perfectly.)

Satch

• GM_Ton
    GM_Ton Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Problem still exist in NC. Techs have been out twice and coming out again tomorrow. After reading through this discussion I realize there is no need for them to come out. I spoke with the phone leads and they suggested I find an older modem. The problem is with the infamous EU2251, but my question is 1) how am I to find one and she stated ask the tech when they come out if they have an older model. 2) Will the older modem affect my internet speed...I don't know. After the fiasco with ABC/Disney and my phone line dropping after 30 minutes, I am wondering if it is time to move on. @Spectrum please make this a priority, your customers are getting frustrated.

• awboyd
    Options

My issue was finally fixed this past Friday but only after the modem was replaced with another model. My issue started in July after the modem had been installed for 3 years without any issues. After working with one of their voice engineers best I can gather is they have some type of routing issues within their network that is not going to be a quick fix, I was trying to wait it out for a fix on the EU model since that is one of (if not) the best modem they currently have but when the voice engineer told the tech to replace the modem with another model that told me the fix wasn't coming soon. Best I gather from this ordeal is that the EU2251 is an ipv6 modem and the ET2251 is an ipv4 modem. When a voice call is initiated, a SIP Re-Invite occurs every 15 minutes that keeps the call connected, when there is no re-invite the call drops 15 minutes later. To me this sounds like internal network/routing/firewall issues within the spectrum network related to ipv6 with their voice services. I requested the ET2251 model (avoid the EN2251 - https://lookgadgets.com/articles/intel-puma-modems-list/). Supervisor came out and replaced the modem on Friday and we made a test call, and the call did not drop after 30 minutes. I had seen a reddit post a few days ago where someone mentioned that ubee has provided new firmware that caused the issue with the EU model but that post has since been deleted so not sure if that is true or not but it's clear that something changed recently specific to either the EU2251 itself or ipv6 on their network.

• astrojohn
    astrojohn Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

Talked to Spectrum again today and asked them to provide with a modem not subject to the dropouts. Turns out THEY CAN'T! It now seems other modems have the same problem and its only the older, unavailable modems that may work. They are also finally aware of the issue (Sep 2023) and are "working" on it...of course...I realize this can be a tough nut to crack so we'll see how they do...

This discussion has been closed.