Why does Malwarebytes have issues with collector.pi.spectrum.net?

Options
davidsum1
davidsum1 Posts: 1 Newcomer

I read my monthly statement from Malwarebytes. It blocked collector.pi.spectrum.net about 12 times. Why? What is it?

Comments

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,328 Contributor
    Options

Hello,

Sometimes anti-virus can be over-protective and generate false positives, In fact, recent research shows that the most important defense against malware is an up-to-date operating system and web browsers. Even more so than up-to-date- AV! Here's why:

An up-to-date operating system and browsers- Will actively patch security holes for good that are found within your operating system, in conjunction with up-to-date browsers.

Up-to-date anti virus does not patch any operating system holes. An up-to-date antivirus acts like a security guard in the form of web shields that may or may not block the threat. In fact, because zero day malware is the biggest threat, by the time your AV blocks a Zero Day exploit, a new one has taken it's place. It's a 50/50 to 60/40 shot, on whether your AV catches any threat.

Registry cleaners don't optimize anything. In fact, they can make things worse because they are known to be overzealous and "over clean." They may delete a critical file or compromise that file. Most of the the time, if you are paying for AV, you are wasting your money.

Use strong two-bit encryption when you can, and the built in security updates provided by your operating system. Never open up any files or emails that are unknown, or that you did not expect. Always keep your operating system and web browsers up to date. A bonus would be a good ad blocker for each of your browsers to stop banner ads.

You might have a false-posititve with Malwarebytes and would need to Whitelist it.

Satch

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 735 Contributor
    Options

All i can figure is that's just a garden-variety request URL, the request of which runs in the background when the chat function loads on www.spectrum.net. It's an XHR as in XML HTTP Request from "https://collector.pi.spectrum.net/topics/sspp?bulk=true". But blocking it doesn't stop the chat function from loading as far as i'm concerned.

I've no idea why your software firewall would be blocking it other than possibly due to some normally inconsequential deep-dive DNS imperfection. If you ever have any problems with the chat function, i'd unblock it in case it has something positively to do with security and privacy.