suddenly unable to send email from spectrum webmail service

Options
skbreck
skbreck Posts: 3 Spectator

For the past approx 36 hours I have suddenly been unable to send emails from spectrum's webmail service. the error message is …

"Your message was unable to be sent. Please check your network connectivity and try to send again. (Error: 5.2.0 54.243.7.172 blocked. Please see https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/understanding-email-error-codes for more information. AUP#Out-1020 )"

There was a normal or less than normal volume of emails sent recently, and only sent to parties I've previously sent to. In other words, no one flagged my emails as spam. There was nothing unusual about email use. There is no network, connectivity, or hardware issue. I am traveling consistent with the past 10+ years of service. Ability to send email is a core part of the service for me and my business. This has not previously happened in the 10+ years I've been a spectrum customer. The above error message, per the spectrum website indicates that error AUP#Out- 1020 means the following:

"This email account has limited access to send emails based on suspicious activity. Blocks will expire based on the nature of the activity. If you’re a Spectrum customer, contact us to remove the block."

I have had multiple conversations with spectrum support reps, and none have actually been able to address the issue much less "remove the block" as I've requested. Can anyone out there suggest how to get spectrum to remove the block on my outgoing emails?

Comments

• Jaleesa_F
    Jaleesa_F Posts: 379 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Hello @skbreck

Welcome to our Community Forums, sorry to hear that you've been unable to send emails. I am happy to help! Are you accessing you email via spectrum.net/My Spectrum app? Or are you using a 3rd party mail client such as Outlook?

• skbreck
    Options

Hello @Jaleesa_F, As mentioned I am using spectrum's webmail, not a third party client. I appreciate any help you can offer.

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 735 Contributor
    Options

That IP address is allocated to Amazon Data Services NoVa as in Northern Virginia. Who knows what all has gone on with it and by whom, as far as Spectrum SMTP is recently concerned, but if it doesn't cycle back out of the penalty box soon enough, maybe you can get the applicable network admin to bump it over to a different one for you.

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,116 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited May 1
    Options

@skbreck, as @HT_Greenfield spotted 54.243.7.172 is not a Spectrum IP, it looks like it may be a VPN or proxy server, and your current IP is indicating you are out of the country. I was also able to locate your Spectrum account and see notes from agents you spoke with about issues accessing emails outside the USA. AUP#Out-1020 is a block due to suspicious activity and trying to use the email from another country would definitely cause that. Please try sending your email when you are back in the USA, waiting at least 24 hours from the last error received on that device.

• skbreck
    Options

@William_M thanks for your message. Yes I'm traveling out of the country. Are you saying that merely traveling outside the USA is considered "suspicious activity" by Spectrum? And, second question - are you saying that Spectrum email (webmail) can't be used to send messages at any time when outside the USA? That would be an extreme limitation of an email (webmail) service. As you can understand, waiting until return from travel to be able to send emails is not a viable option.

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 689 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

@skbreck

I totally get the confusion. As our licensing agreements with networks are only valid within the US, attempting to log in to our Spectrum TV app from outside of the US can trigger suspicious activity errors or flag as needing a password change. The Spectrum accounts on our website/email would also need to be accessed within the US, since other countries have different privacy regulations and we cannot guarantee that our sites would comply with any regulations outside of US regulations. I know that you are able to log in to the website using a US based VPN, though since the account was flagged for suspicious activity you may need to reset the password in order to log in.