Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

IS FIRE TV Stick supported?

utoypiautoypia Posts: 1
edited September 16 in Spectrum TV App Tips, Resources & FAQs Apr 05, 2019

Like other posts, I would like to know when SPectrum TV app will be avaliable on the FireTV stick. I need the app avaliable. 

Best Answer

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,269 ADMIN
    May 23, 2019 Accepted Answer

@dom_marino6 , 

Amazon Firestick is not supported.  The Spectrum TV app is available on Apple TV,  select Samsung Smart TV's, and ROKU & Xbox 1.   We do support the app on Kindle Fire (except first gen.).  

Replies

• reds91185reds91185 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Apr 05, 2019

Customer facing reps generally won't know or can't say anything until a public announcement is made. Since the app is now available on Apple TV after a long wait I'm sure Fire TV devices aren't too far behind.

• tizz0007tizz0007 Posts: 1
    Apr 07, 2019

I have not read any annoucements or seen any evidence that Spectrum is developing an app for the fire stick.

• EciochEcioch Posts: 1
    May 17, 2019
    Does Amazon firestick support Spectrum App
    May 17, 2019

@Ecioch wrote:
    Does Amazon firestick support Spectrum App

No

https://www.spectrum.com/cable-tv/spectrum-tv-app.html

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭
    May 17, 2019

@reds91185   Unfortunately the link you provided to that Spectrum marketing page kind of implies that the app works on an Amazon device.  The graphics are misleading and there are no limitations listed for Amazon Firestick devices in the fine print area.  I think they SHOULD say "Supported only on AMAZON Kindle Fire tablet models, including Kindle Fire HDX, except first-generation Kindle Fire., but NOT on any model of Firestick.

But I'm only a Spectrum customer, not the FTC.  Below is the stuff I C&P'd from that web page link:

Download the Spectrum TV App and also available on connected devices
    Download on the Apple App Store
    Download on Google play
    Available at amazon
    Available on Roku Players & TVs
    Available on XBOX ONE
    Available on SAMSUNG

APPLE device requirements: iPad®, iPad® mini, iPhone® and iPod Touch®, running iOS 9.0 or higher.

KINDLE FIRE tablet requirements: All Kindle Fire models, including Kindle Fire HDX, are supported, except first-generation Kindle Fire.

ANDROID device requirements: All tablets and phones running Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and above are supported.

Roku device requirements: All Roku players and TVs (excluding first-generation).

Xbox One requirements: All Xbox One models are supported.

Samsung Smart TV requirements: TV model years 2012 and newer are supported.

Charter-authorized modem is required to stream on Roku, Xbox One and Samsung Smart TV.

May 17, 2019

@karlbeckman I agree that the page is a little vague regarding Amazon and Android devices (mainly because there are so many different types of them and they are all similarly named).

I would edit your suggested sentence to read "...not on any model of Firestick or Fire TV." as well as add a sentence to the Android section that Android TV devices aren't supported.

• dom_marino6dom_marino6 Posts: 1
    May 23, 2019
    Why isn’t the Spectrum TV app, or my choice supported by spectrum? Kinda stupid to launch a full streaming service and not include firestick (one of the bigger of streaming services along with Apple TV)
  • RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    May 24, 2019
    If you wind up opting for a Roku, go for the upper tier models. It is worth the extra cash for the "+" or "premier" tiered models. Extra memory and better network features... think it is a better CPU as well? Forget the exact differences in specs, but the stick+ was like night and day compared to the cheaper stick model.
    May 24, 2019

It took years for the Apple TV to be supported, and now that it is I'm sure the Fire devices will eventually be supported as well. 

The Roku Stick only supports 1080p while the Stick + has a better wireless radio and supports 4k HDR. The Premier and Premier+ both have the same specs (both support 4k but not HDR) but the + has the voice remote.  They all feature quad-core processors and wifi connectivity only. If you want ethernet connections go for the Ultra.

• HunterHunter Posts: 1
    May 24, 2019

Will there ever be a port for Amazon Fire Devices? I own a fire stick and i would like to watch live TV on it. It's already on Apple TV and Roku so there's no reason that I shouldn't be able to use my Firestick as well. Can I expect this at all any time soon?

• MalbrainiacMalbrainiac Posts: 4
    Jun 24, 2019
    Im shutting off the streaming services due to the lack of support for fire tv. I'm wondering why the app hasnt been made. When will it be developed, or has Spectrum decided to alienate those invested in Amazon products?
  • toolman1990toolman1990 Posts: 153 ✭✭✭✭
    Jun 24, 2019

@Malbrainiac wrote:
    Im shutting off the streaming services due to the lack of support for fire tv. I'm wondering why the app hasnt been made. When will it be developed, or has Spectrum decided to alienate those invested in Amazon products?

My guess is Spectrum feels their are not enough Fire TV customers to justify making a Spectrum TV application for. My advice is do not buy a streaming device that does not support the streaming services you use on a daily basis

Jun 24, 2019

@toolman1990 wrote:

@Malbrainiac wrote:

My guess is Spectrum feels their are not enough Fire TV customers to justify making a Spectrum TV application for. My advice is do not buy a streaming device that does not support the streaming services you use on a daily basis.

Agree that you shouldn't buy a streaming device that doesn't support your needs.

As far as not enough Fire TV customers...not so sure about that one. Recent stats suggest that there are more Fire TV users now than Roku, Apple TV, or Chromecast users. Roku and Apple TV both have Spectrum TV apps now.  It's all about corporate partnerships and business contracts. I would imagine an app for the Fire TV platform is in some stage of development or testing but you won't get any official word on that until corporate make a statement...and that won't be here.

• sean_erickson11sean_erickson11 Posts: 1
    Jul 18, 2019

Have you started making or plan to release an app for firestick? 

It appears that many people are requesting this and I have not seen a response to this question yet.  I understand that network apps work with firestick using the spectrum access but I would like to watch live TV on it as well.

Jul 19, 2019

@sean_erickson11 wrote:

Have you started making or plan to release an app for firestick? 

It appears that many people are requesting this and I have not seen a response to this question yet.  I understand that network apps work with firestick using the spectrum access but I would like to watch live TV on it as well.

You will see no official statement on this forum from Spectrum other than "it's not currently available" until such time Spectrum corporate makes an official announcement.  I could be wrong, but the Spectrum mods here, just like the phone reps, likely don't have much advance notice of those types of announcements.

Having said that, being that the Fire TV platform has gained in popularity so much in the past year or two, I'm sure Spectrum is working on an app pending any contractual requirements or restrictions that may be in place with Roku and now Apple. It took them several years to finally release the app for Apple TV.

• rocketjetzrocketjetz Posts: 135 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 19, 2019

Leading from behind?  LOL I read recently where there were upwards of 35 million fire stick/tv users....that's close to  10% of the population of the USA. 

IF I was Spectrum, I would create a Spectrum Stream/Choice/Essentials App for all platforms.... and sell their Spectrum streaming services outside of only Spectrum Internet customers.....

Jul 19, 2019

I think all cable companies will have to go that route eventually to survive once the older generations die off that want traditional delivery of television. We all know that young people are increasingly "cord-nevers" and the only chance to get them is to not tie them to one particular device or location, ala Hulu Live and others.

Not to scoreboard, but both Roku and Chromecast have more users.

This discussion has been closed.