Advanced Search Options
We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Improving Your Wireless Security
Securing Your WiFi Router
Make sure to use WPA or WPA2 for your WiFi network. WPA (WiFi Protected Access) is a protocol that provides security for a WiFi network. WPA and WPA2 (the most secure option) require you to set a password for accessing your WiFi network.
Learn more about managing your router’s security settings.
Managing Device Settings and Updates
- Disable the Automatically Connect to Available Wireless Network setting on your electronic devices. When this feature is enabled, your device may connect to any wireless network within range without your knowledge, which can expose you to security risks.
- Always use a strong password when signing in to your computer and your online accounts.
- Keeping your computer and mobile device software up to date is one of the most important things you can do to ensure security. When you receive notification of software or operating system updates, be sure to apply them as soon as possible.
- Make sure file sharing is disabled on your device when connecting to a public WiFi network.
Using Online Best Practices
- Look for https at the start of a web address – the “s” is for secure. Some sites also display a lock icon in the URL bar to indicate a secure site.
- Sign out of your online accounts when you’re finished using them and close the browser tab.
- If you regularly use WiFi hotspots to sign in to accounts, use a VPN (virtual private network). You can get a personal account from a VPN provider. You can use a VPN on your mobile device as well.
- Set up your web browser to alert you about fraudulent sites.
- To limit your fraud risk, use only one of your credit cards for online purchases.
Using Security Suite
Security Suite is a comprehensive computer security package with real-time protection against all types of malicious software, available to Spectrum Internet customers at no additional cost.