Xumo Stream Box

Options

Answers

• Korona165
    Korona165 Posts: 86 Contributor
    Options

I did the same thing but I have not received any other surveys.

• Korona165
    Options

NanaTC don't you think the Spectrum TV App on the Xumo is a little faster then on Roku?

• NanaTC
    NanaTC Posts: 44 Contributor
    Options

Yes, the Spectrum app definitely work’s better on the Xumo.

• Korona165
    Options

I am a bit confused on what package Spectrum might sell the Xumo. Right now I get Spectrum internet and TV. I am guessing I am able to use the Spectrum TV App for free because I pay for Spectrum TV. So if I was to cancel my Spectrum TV I am guessing I would not be able to use the Spectrum TV App. Are they going to offer a Xumo package where you get to use the Spectrum TV App without having a separate TV service? If the only way to use the Spectrum TV App is to have Spectrum TV service then what's the point of this? Anyone know how they might sell this?

• NanaTC
    Options

I've read that Spectrum will eventually replace the receivers they use now with the Xumo Stream Box. Its suppose to be available to the public to use with the Spectrum TV app in October through Spectrum to rent for $5 a month and Walmart will sell it, no idea how much Walmart will sell it for.

You are correct, you need to have a Spectrum TV subscription to use the Spectrum TV app.

I highly doubt Spectrum will have a TV package especially for the Xumo Stream Box. They already have TV Essentials and TV Choice that are streaming only packages.

Just my opinion, but I believe the Xumo Stream Box will sell to the customers like me that like having the keypad on the remote.

Spectrum customers that have cable and internet service will be able to replace some of their receivers with the Xumo to save money considering the price per month for a traditional receiver is more than twice as much as the Xumo Stream Box will be. Or they can purchase the Xumo at Walmart and save even more.

The only thing that will hurt the Xumo right now is there isn't an app store. The pre-installed apps are what you get. There isn't any way to download additional apps or uninstall what you don't want or use. There also isn't a way to customize the app list. I'm hoping an app store will be added before the Xumo is released to the public. If it isn't Spectrum will have to disclose that you can't download additional apps. That in itself will make customers shy away from it unless they only want to use it for the Spectrum app and the remote for the keypad.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,328 Contributor
    Options

What about if you are a DVR subscriber?

I don't think that Spectrum will replace those boxes until the Xumo can do DVR service. Cloud DVR needs the ability to pause live recording, which it can't do yet.

Satch

• Bill1234
    Bill1234 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I thought the article about Walmart getting the boxes backtracked and Walmart is really only getting xumo tvs this year

• Korona165
    Options

What about a DVR or is Spectrum banking on if you have the Xumo you ready have so much on demand you don't really need a DVR. They would need a cloud type DVR. I get DVR and I don't really use it( other family members do) but I like it because you can RR FF Pause live TV. Just my opinion I don't think DVRS are that popular as they use to be. Just because you can get so much for free on demand and streaming.

• NanaTC
    Options

There isn't any more with the Spectrum app On Demand on the Xumo than there is on a Roku.

I think Spectrum is banking on selling Could DVR as an add on though. Spectrum has been doing something different lately. A movie I caught the tail end of was on the other day. I thought I'd just go back and watch it On Demand since the channel it was on is in my package. I was wrong though, went to On Demand later, found the movie and it wanted me to pay $3.99 to watch it even though it had aired a few hours earlier. I don't remember it being like that a few months ago, if the movie or program was on you could just go watch it later for free. I think Spectrum wanting me to pay for a movie a few after later after it aired is their way of trying to sell Cloud DVR. It didn't work, I just searched for it and watched it for free on the Network app the channel was associated with.

• NanaTC
    Options

I haven't read anything about Walmart selling the Xumo since I started the trial for it. The article I read did say that Walmart would sell the Xumo Stream Box for I believe $60 starting in October. You may be right though, they may have decided not to sell it and just rent it.

If they don't sell the Xumo my guess would be there not gonna add an app store. If they don't they know it most likely wouldn't be a good sell anyway. I mean who wants to buy a device they can't customize to their liking with apps they actually want and use. I know I wouldn't buy it without an app store. If one isn't added I'll keep the Xumo, but go back to Roku as my primary device. I want all the apps I use on one device and as of now the Xumo doesn't have that, but the Roku does.

• Timothy46
    Timothy46 Posts: 11 Participant
    Options

Ok, I'm a bit confused from the comments in various places, can you use cloud DVR service with this. I would really like to switch to these, between DVR service and the boxes it accounts for over $60 of my bill. I pay an obscene amount right now and I'd like to find ways to lower my bill. I'd like to get on the newer plans too. I'm still on spectrum gold and paying $318 a month for a bunch of stuff I don't watch is not something I'd like to continue.

• NanaTC
    Options

I'm not positive, just what I've read, but you'll probably have to wait till October till the Xumo Stream Box is available to the public. I don't think Spectrum is sending any more Xumo devices to trial.

• NanaTC
    Options

I just did my 5th survey about the Xumo Stream Box. The last question asked if there was anything else I wanted to add. I made it plain that an app store was needed so I could download additional apps I want that aren't currently available on the Xumo Stream Box. I said that that feature would be the deetermining factor in deciding if the Xumo would be my primary device or not. If the app store is not added even though I will miss the keypad on the Xumo remote I will go back to the Roku as my primary device.

I also said I wanted to be able to uninstall any apps I don't want or use. Then I added that I want to be able to customize the app list and I want a setting to restart/reboot the Xumo so I don't have to unplug it every time I need to restart it like when I make changes to my Spectrum TV Choice channels. I have to unplug the Xumo before the programming will update. Also said an option to restart each individual app would be nice to have in case an app freezes, wouldn't have to reboot the Xumo, just restart the app. That feature would also come in handy for updating the programming when I edit the channels in my Spectrum TV Choice package.

I know someone here said that you can use the Voice feature to restart/reboot the Xumo, but it does not work for me. No matter what I say it doesn't work so if someone knows the magic words please tell me what to say.

I really do like the Xumo Stream Box so I'm hoping the support team will take our suggestions seriously and add the features we've asked for.

• Timothy46
    Options

Bummer but I'll gladly pay $5 for a few of them with cloud DVR. I currently have 4 boxes at $10.99 plus DVR service for $20. So if I get 4 Xumo for $5 each and $9 for cloud DVR that's a $35 savings right there.

• Korona165
    edited September 2023
    Options

Why do you think the On Demand catalog is different between platforms? For the Xumo and my cable box I would like to see them move to cloud DVR. That was the Xumo gets better and I can then get rid of my chunky DVR box that keeps overheating. But I don't know if that move will happen. Let me ask people this have you seen any new changes to the Xumo since he got it? I don't think any updates happened. I do think I saw on the internet when I was reading about Xumo. That the plan was to have it available through Spectrum and Comcast and Walmart was going to sell them too. But then they announced Walmart would not sell them at all. I think I saw that I will look for the article but things could have changed too

• Timothy46
    Options

Surely you can use the cloud DVR on the spectrum app. I don't see how they could exclude it since it's in the my library on the spectrum app. That would be silly to have it available on devices on Roku but not a device that's their own.

• Pamonmedia
    Pamonmedia Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

Interested in this any insight on how to be an insider?

• Timothy46
    Options
  • NanaTC
    Options

The Xumo Stream Box got a build update. Restarts a little faster with a new splash screen and got a new layout for the settings. Only thing different I saw in the settings is in the Privacy setting, theres a setting that gives you the option to let Xumo personalize the apps for you or not. There's also an option to share content with Xumo or not.

So far they have not added an option so we can customize the apps and haven't added a way to download additional apps. They also didn't add a setting to be able to reboot/restart the Xumo, still have to unplug it. Using voice command saying reboot/restart doesn't work like some previously mentioned. I have tried several different commands for rebooting, restarting and it just doesn't work. If someone knows the magic words please let me know.

The Spectrum app has been updated, they finally removed the 8 channels that were removed from the Disney dispute that were dropped.

Hopefully soon when Spectrum starts renting the boxes and customers start griping or returning the Xumo Stream Box because there isn't an app store to download the apps we use that aren't included and there isn't a way to customize it the apps Spectrum will add those features. Guess only time will tell, till then its back to the Roku as my primary device. Not interested in switching inputs and devices to watch the apps that aren't available on the Xumo that I use daily. Call me old school, but I like every app I use available on one device.

• Satch
    Options

Update:

Best Buy is going to be selling the joint Spectrum/Comcast streaming boxes and integrating them with some Smart TV's. There will be more details to follow:

Is this ready for prime time though?

Satch

• NanaTC
    edited September 2023
    Options

The Xumo Stream Box is most likely ready for Prime Time and I like it, but if I had to purchase it I wouldn't. Reason being as I've said many times, there isn't any way to download additional apps. If someone only wants it to use for the Spectrum TV app it would be great because of the remote with numbers, plus the Spectrum TV app works better on the Xumo. Customers might want to rent the Xumo Stream Box instead of the traditional receivers just to save some money. It would probably satisfy those customers.

For someone that has used Roku or Firestick its not that great. I use the Frndly app because INSP channel isn't available in my TV Choice package even though I was under the impression it would be considering TV Choice has the locals and INSP is in the Basic Locals package. Unfortunately the Frndly app which I had to subscribe to for my husband to have the INSP channel is not available on the Xumo Stream Box so I have to switch back and forth between the Xumo and the Roku which I am not a fan of doing.

No way to download additional apps is what will turn away potential customers for the Xumo if thats disclosed. I mean most people don't want to buy another device after purchasing the Xumo just to have access to the apps they want or use, especially if they buy the Xumo TV.

• NanaTC
    Options

Someone on Reddit did the trial for the Xumo Stream Box. They asked if they cancel Spectrum TV would they be able to keep the box or have to turn it in. No one on Reddit had a definite answer. Does anyone here know?

I'm also interested in the answer to this in case I ever decide to cancel Spectrum TV.

• Korona165
    Options
  • NanaTC
    Options

Click on the program in the Spectrum TV app guide. A screen opens with Get More Info, click on that and the option to record the program is there.

• Korona165
    Options

I am using both Roku and Xumo Box. The Xumo has enough apps for me to use. I would like to dump Anyone y cable service and is Spectrum offered it sign up for a streaming plan to use the Xumo and still have access to the Spectrum TV App. Anyone know what the fee might be to rent the Xumo? Right now I am paying $20.00 to rent two cable boxes.

• NanaTC
    edited October 2023
    Options

$5 a month to rent the Xumo Stream Box. The Xumo is suppose to be available to rent starting today. The Cloud DVR service is extra though. Record up to 50 shows $4.99 a month, up to 100 shows is $9.99 a month.

I read Spectrum is going to sell the box also, not sure what that price will be though.

• Satch
    Options

Early Pricing Options (Could Change Based on How Rollout Goes.)

I found out today that there are going to be three different pricing tiers for the Xumo Streaming Box (Subs Pick From One of the Following:)

They are offering the box in 3 different ways below

1. You can buy the box outright for $60 and it includes a 1 year warranty from Xumo. (Own it, as if you would buy your own modem/router.) You go through Xumo here for support, not Spectrum.

2. You can do a lease to own where you pay $5.00 per month for 12 months but after the year Spectrum will not provide hardware support for any hardware failures. The boxes will still get software updates and new apps if they become available after the year has passed. (Lease to own with Spectrum Support for one year.)

3. You can pay $5.00 per month on an ongoing basis like current box rentals are done today and they will replace your box at anytime for any software and/or hardware failure. (Traditional indefinite monthly support from Spectrum, like current CATV boxes and DVR's.

You can switch from the ongoing payment option to the lease to own at anytime and you can purchase the device at anytime as well so you're not locked in.

Satch

• Korona165
    edited October 2023
    Options

Helpful but I am still confused about how it will work with Spectrum. Right now I have cable service with Spectrum and I am assuming because I do that is why I am able to use/watch the Spectrum TV App on the Xumo. So will Spectrum sell a streaming plan that includes the Xumo and a basic package to use the Spectrum TV App on the Xumo. Or will they just rent or buy the Xumo and I will be able to return my cable boxes and just use the Spectrum TV App on Xumo? I have and renting a cable box and and a DVR box about $20.00 plus another & 10.00 for DVR service. I want to know this. 1 will they sell a streaming package with TV so I can cancel my cable package I have now? Or 2 can I keep my cable package and just rent or buy the Xumo and then get rid of my boxes and the fees?

• catchtwentytwo
    catchtwentytwo Posts: 144 Contributor
    Options

I wonder if Cloud DVR would be charged on each Xumo in a multi-Xumo household.

This discussion has been closed.