Xumo Stream Box

Options
Korona165
Korona165 Posts: 86 Contributor

I got a email today that said I can test out the Xumo Stream Box for free because I am a Spectrum Insider. My question is what kind of box is it? I know you can stream services and add apps kind of like a Roku. But is it a live TV Cable Box and does it have any voice compatibility?

Best Answers

• NanaTC
    NanaTC Posts: 44 Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

Spectrum already has streaming TV packages, TV Choice and TV Essentials. You can switch to one of those or just return the cable boxes and get the Xumo Stream Box, one per each receiver that you have now and use the Spectrum TV app for your current TV package.

Spectrum has come out with the Xumo Stream Box to eventually replace the traditional receivers. The first Xumo Stream Box is free for 12 months, you will have to pay a fee for the additional Xumo's per device per month. Spectrum has set a 4 Xumo limit per customer. If you need more than that you would have to purchase the extra ones.

You will have to pay for Cloud DVR for the Xumo if you want DVR capabilites. Unless prices have changed its $4.99 for 50 shows a month or $9.99 for 100 shows.

https://www.spectrum.com/cable-tv/streaming/xumo

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,729 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Korona165,

I was able to locate your account using your registration information and I did see that Cloud DVR+ was successfully added, so you should be able to record programs using the app and access them on any streaming device, including Xumo. While we can confirm services here, we are unable to make changes.

I apologize for any confusion, I was able to clarify that Cloud DVR for $4.99 is only available on streaming only packages (Spectrum TV Essentials & Choice 15). For all other TV packages, or to combine Cloud DVR with traditional DVR services, you must select Cloud DVR +. Sorry if this was not adequately explained when you called in to make the requested changes and my original response did not point out this difference.

On a personal note, I have both traditional DVR and Cloud DVR+. I like the Cloud DVR because I can watch programming anywhere, including while traveling and it increases overall number of shows I can record. I also like that it is a separate list, but I can still access on my main living room TV using the app.

If you decide to stop using traditional DVR boxes, you can then downgrade to Cloud DVR and switch to a streaming only video package. Thanks for the questions, hope this clears up any confusion.

Answers

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 682 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Hello @Korona165!

The Xumo Stream Box is a bit more comparable to an Apple TV or a Roku device instead of a traditional cable box. You can stream live TV through the Spectrum TV or other network apps. The Xumo does have voice recognition.

• SRealmuto
    SRealmuto Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I just received mine. Easy to set up. Just can’t edit apps which is frustrating.

• CJ_sp
    CJ_sp Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

Can you pause live tv with this?

• Tyleen_Z
    Tyleen_Z Posts: 702 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Hello @CJ_spec and welcome to the Spectrum Community.

You would not be able to pause live TV with the Xumo at this time. It has the Spectrum TV app loaded on it and the app will work the same as any other device at this time.

-Tyleen

• CJ_sp
    CJ_sp Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

Well that’s disappointing. It would have been a nice way to finally roll that option out.

• Korona165
    Options

So it's just the Spectrum TV App that runs on it. I can run the App on my Roku so what's really new about this? Thank you for the information.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,321 Contributor
    Options

Yes,

For full functionality you would need a Spectrum DVR box at this time along with a cable box package offering.

Satch

• Korona165
    Options

Thank you. Just feedback: I was up in NH last week and the big cable company up there is Xfinity. They have something really cool voice control remote. You press the button and say go to ESPN, ABC and it will turn to that channel. You can even say find Two And A Half Men and if that show is on TV at that time it will turn to it. I really liked it easy to use no channels to remember and it's good for the old and Disabled. I would rather see a new feature like that then a new streaming box.

• Naftaturbo
    Naftaturbo Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Got a similar email. "As a Spectrum Insider, be the first to participate in a new trial before Xumo Stream Box is launched later this year." The sweetener (aside from being "the first") is: "Once you sign up, you’ll receive an email with a quick survey. Simply answer a few questionsto getXumo Stream Box at no cost for aslong as you’re a Spectrum customer!"

I'd give it a try though so far I've read nothing indicating that Xumo is anywhere near as good as Roku not to mention AppleTV. However I'm worried that Spectrum would use my signing up for this offer as an opportunity to deactivate the CableCard that I'm using in my TiVo or make. So far, according to a phone rep, the HSC (High Split Converter) is not available in my area (Los Angeles) as the local system has not been revised to where an HSC is needed.

Has anyone on the forum using a CableCard+HSC accepted this offer? Has it in any way impacted Spectrum's provisioning of your CableCard?

• Korona165
    Options

Anyone know how much it will cost for the service? I would buy it even though you can get everything on demand. I would miss the DVR and not being able to FF RR. I will call tomorrow anyone know what I say or ask for?

• Tyleen_Z
    Options

The Xumo box is not just the Spectrum TV app but it would be the main app on the Xumo as it is a device being distributed by us.

You are able to download other TV apps to the device and it streamlines the services so that you don't have to search each app for something.

The product is still in it's testing phase and changes can happen with the device as it is tested by customers.

The remote does have a voice search option on it as well.

If you did not get a notification offering the service it would not be available to you yet.

-Tyleen

• dadeoman
    dadeoman Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

From what I've read so far, I see nothing here that is superior to the Roku streaming devices that Charter/Spectrum supplied our house a couple of years ago (instead of regular cable TV set top boxes with DVR). When Charter/Spectrum wired our area a couple of years ago they used fiber optic cable (not coax) and nobody got cable boxes. The Spectrum app is on the Roku. What I don't understand is why we can't just get the Spectrum app on our smart TVs, which are LGs.

• Korona165
    Options

Thank you

• Korona165
    Options

I just got mine today. I understand why Spectrum would want this. Being everyone seems to be moving away from cable TV. What I do not get is how they think they can be successful at it. With the most powerful the Roku and Amazon Fire and so many other ways to watch streaming. I just think the market is way to busy for yet another streaming device. I was told by the agent that after the first year is over to get it for free. Spectrum will offer the box for $5.00 a month. You can get a Roku on Amazon for 29.00 so why would you rent it from Spectrum? Unless they come out with a very unique features and make it not so much like all the other streaming devices I just don't see how they will be successful. Also they should not even make a streaming box they should make a all in one cable box. With cable TV and DVR with streaming. I think Xumo Stream Box is also based off of Comcast X1 Platform and may be part owned.

• lafect
    lafect Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Would like to know what is available for streaming content. If I didnt have to pay extra for say Discovery or Max or Paramount , then maybe the xumo would be a great deal for 10 dollars more a month. But do I have to pay 18 dollars a month for a DVR box that I dont need and the xtra fee for xumo? The services offered in the add are really vague . Put more reality in your ad. All I see are streaming services I dont care about and upcoming episodes of old walking dead episodes.

• Korona165
    Options

The remote control does not even have any playback buttons.

• Tyleen_Z
    Options

The Xumo is just in the introductory and testing stages at this point. Things can change as the product is tested and reviews are given.

We appreciate all of the concerns you all have and can forward up the feedback for you. Those that get the box and test it we would love to know what you think and any suggestions you may have for the service.

-Tyleen

• NanaTC
    Options

I just received the Spectrum Xumo Stream Box yesterday. I don't see an option to download any additional apps. Could someone please tell me how to do that?

As far as liking the device I do, everything seems to work correctly. I would like to see more options available for apps to view a favorite program. Example...I watch HGTV channel a lot. I have several HGTV shows in my favorite list. When I click on a program it shows Spectrum, Discovery+ & Max as available options to watch. Would be nice to add HGTV GO app as an option to watch HGTV shows. Same for other programs that have there own app, like TLC, AMC, etc.

Would also like to see the device go straight to the last channel watched on the Spectrum app when the device is powered on instead of it going to the home screen and having to click on the Spectrum tile. If there is already a setting for this I haven't found it, please point me to it.

Last, but not least...Please add a setting to reboot the device instead of having to unplug it.

• GAT
    GAT Posts: 7 Participant
    Options

First day of using my free Xumo streaming. In the first hour of use here are the improvements absolutely needed:

1. Playback functions - pause, fast forward, rewind, etc - on recorded or streamed on demand content
    2. Ability to download apps that are not already integrated in the box
    3. Ability to configure your app list on the Home Screen - add, rearrange, remove, etc.
    4. Last channel return in the Spectrum app

There will be many more with additional use.

‘Things I like - improvements over the Roku I was using:

1. Voice commands to change channels or change apps - although that feature has some glitches.
    2. Remote can be programmed to operate my sound bar
    3. I think I will like lists when I start making them
    4. The most used apps go to the front of the list on the home page
    5. Ability to go straight to a Spectrum channel by number - if I don’t feel like using voice commands
    6. I think I will like the general program guide on the home page but it needs improvement

Right now I would not choose this over Roku or Apple TV simply due to lack of playback controls for recorded/on demand content. Neglecting those in the first iteration of this is inexcusable. I’m assuming the next version will have those. I’ll keep using it for now to get a better feel for it’s strengths and weaknesses.

• NanaTC
    Options

#5. If you received the remote with numbers you can just key in the channel number and go straight to the channel.

• Korona165
    Options

I say the remote 100% needs improvement like playback buttons. The ability to customize your channels the order, add new ones, delete the ones you are never going to use. I think it's better than a Roku in these ways. The speed of the system seems decent. I do like the UI and I think the voice control is much better the Roku. I like how you can be watching Spectrum TV App and just say go to ESPN and it will. The Spectrum TV App is faster the the Spectrum TV App on Roku. So I do like it but right now never would I stop using my Roku and just use the Xumo.

• GAT
    Options

Yup, that’s one of the improvements that I like with the Zumo over the Roku I had been using!

• NanaTC
    Options

Yes, definitely agree we need the option to customize the channel/app order and need to be able to download more apps too. My local news apps are available on Roku, but not on the Xumo. If Spectrum doesn't add the ability to add more apps I'll have to go back to Roku for my default box.

• GAT
    Options

Ok, I have discovered how to use the playback functions - pause, forward, rewind - on recorded content or on demand content. The center button in the circle is pause and the left and right sides of the circle are rewind and forward. BUT, you must pause first before fast forwarding or rewinding. Then it works fine. I have used it both with recorded content and with on demand content on Apple TV+. I’m assuming it will work on any app that supports forward and rewind.

There is no last channel return function for the Spectrum app and, as has been documented, there is no download library for adding apps. I’m still working on how to customize my app list on the Home Screen.

• Korona165
    Options

Thanks

• NanaTC
    Options

The last channel return I've found you can press the arrow button and it brings up the guide to the last channel you watched.

Please let us know if you figure out how to customize the app list.

• GAT
    Options

Great tip! Thanks!!

The Xumo support site says: “Note: The edit apps feature is only available on Xumo TV devices.”

We will see if we can find a work around with that or if there is an update soon. I submitted it to Xumo as something they should make available on the Xumo streaming box.

• NanaTC
    Options

You're welcome.

Hopefully Xumo will take it into consideration. If they don't I'll have to go back to Roku for my primary device. There's a few apps I use thats not available on the Xumo box.

• Korona165
    Options

I agree but what bugs me is you can not delete Apps or customize your own channel. As a Spectrum customer why should I see the Xfinity Felx streaming service. I don't have Apple+ so why should I have to see it and deal with it showing up?

• NanaTC
    Options

Yes, I agree. I also don't like that the most used apps aren't in the line with the Spectrum app. Have to scroll to the bottom and search for an app I just used. I love being able to key in a channel for Spectrum, but its not worth it if they don't allow customization of the apps.

This discussion has been closed.