Xumo Stream Box

Options

Answers

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,328 Contributor
    Options

Guys,

Can you keep your traditional box or DVR and just try out the Xumo? Or do you have to turn in your box if you want the Xumo? Cloud DVR I know has some clunks in the system. I am asking this question for customer reference.

Thanks!

Satch

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 689 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Hi Satch!

Customers will be able to use the Xumo alone as a replacement for cable boxes or in conjunction with them.

• saphreyjr
    saphreyjr Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

no one knows how to use the xumo there are no instructions with the xumo and none on line to tell you how. I accidently pushed something while i was laying down to watch tv. and it took an hour to get to the screen where i could get the tv and xumo on at the same time. I finally called techinal support and the girl had no idea how to help. it was ridiculous. And I just got my xumo and I was not given it free and set up to give suggestions on how to make it better. I had to wait for 5 days for it to come through the mail. How do i sign up for the surveys and earn rewards and gift cards

• NanaTC
    NanaTC Posts: 44 Contributor
    Options

The surveys are over as far I know. They where for those of us that did the trial for the Xumo before it was released to the public.

If the Xumo Stream Box is the first streaming device you have used it will be a bit challenging. If you have used a Roku it basically works the same except you can't customize the apps list and there is no app store to download additional apps.

Sounds like you hit the Input button by mistake and it changed you to a different input on your TV.

• Korona165
    Korona165 Posts: 86 Contributor
    Options

How do you you add the Cloud DVR to Xumo?

• Satch
    Options

You call Spectrum,

They add the code to your account. Please note the one huge downside of Cloud DVR, you can't pause live TV....yet.

Satch

• Korona165
    Options

I think I understand the Xumo would just replace my cable box that I have now? I still need to be subscribed to cable service? So I would rent the Xumo for $5 just like I am paying to rent my cable box? How much is it to add DVR? And is this all available now or in the future? I have Spectrum Silver+HBO and one HD Box and one DVR Box.

Thank you sorry for the misunderstanding

• Satch
    Options

Hello,

You can either trade in your traditional box DVR's or keep them and use them in conjunction with the Xumo stream box.

1.) You will still need to subscribe to the corresponding CATV package to get the channels you want. That does not change.

2.) If you want cloud DVR on your Xumo box, you pay either $4.99 a month for up to 50 recorded stored shows, or $9.99 a month for up to 100 stored shows. You will not be able to pause live TV if you subscribe to cloud DVR at this time.

***I am not sure if you can have cloud DVR and traditional box DVR on the same account** (Someone needs to answer this question.) Before the Xumo boxes came out, I know you could not have both. I don't know if this has now changed.

3.) I do know that if you want the best pausing of TV, you would want a traditional DVR box.

4.) There are three options for the Xumo box:

A.) Buy it from a retailer for $60-$70 and get support for the Xumo from the retailer for one year. (You own the box with this example)

B.) Rent to own the box for 12 months from Spectrum. They will support the box for 12 months, after that time, you own the box. The box will still get updates after that time, but Spectrum won't offer support if the box breaks after a year. Cost is $5.00 a month.

C.) Rent the box from Spectrum and you pay regular DVR fees with indefinite support from Spectrum, just like a regular DVR box. (Cost is the same as traditional box rental.)

You can change your Xumo plan at any time and are not locked into anything.

Satch

• Dimitrie
    Dimitrie Posts: 10 Participant
    Options

Why would anyone really get this, when the apple tv 4k box is so much better. Spend a little more and you wont regret it.

• Korona165
    edited October 2023
    Options

My last question is the Cloud DVR available on Xumo TV App or just the Roku App?

My opinion it seems like Spectrum wants to get away from Cable Box's and the word Cable TV to streaming and Cable TV in a App. I know for now they will offer both but it seems like they're moving into this direction. I am not so sure it will work.

• NanaTC
    Options

Yes, Cloud DVR is available on the Xumo Stream Box for the Spectrum TV app.

• jWS9518
    jWS9518 Posts: 25 Participant
    Options

" ***I am not sure if you can have cloud DVR and traditional box DVR on the same account** (Someone needs to answer this question.) Before the Xumo boxes came out, I know you could not have both. I don't know if this has now changed."

I don't have the Xumo, but I can answer that I have both Cloud DVR and traditional DVR's for at least a year now with no issues, other than they charge for both.

• Korona165
    Options

Is everything offered and available now is the Xumo official out? I know you can get Xumo from Spectrum but when will it be in stores and what ones?

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 689 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Hi all!

I'm just popping in to try to answer some questions. If you would like to use both a traditional cable box and the Xumo, you can have both cloud DVR and regular DVR, though they would not sync, so you would have to watch anything recorded to the cable box on the cable box and cloud DVR within the app/online.

Since the Xumo is officially out, it can be shipped to you and should be carried in all of our stores as well, though depending on how popular the device is in your area, there may be some stores sold out of them.

• Satch
    edited October 2023
    Options

Thank you @Renee_T!

Can you clear up some pricing information on the Xumo, please?

I was told:

1.) You can buy an Xumo box for about $60. But I don't know what stores have them. If you go the to own route, and you buy the box, how do you connect it to your Spectrum CATV package services? I assume it has to be the model that Spectrum/Comcast are supporting? What is that model? If you buy it you own it, so I would assume that Spectrum would have no responsibility for bought equipment. You always "rent" from Spectrum.

2.) I understand that you can rent to own the boxes for 12 months for $5.00 a month. After that time, you own the box, and would have to contact billing after a year to remove the $5.00 charge from your account. You would get software updates for the box, but Spectrum won't replace the box for you if it breaks after 12 months. My question is, what good is this second option if it's only for 12 months of support? What are you supposed to do with the Xumo after a year?

3.) The third one is the easiest to understand - You call Spectrum as a current customer and you rent an Xumo box for the same $10.00 a month traditional fee. Cloud DVR is an option at $4.99 a month to store up to 50 Shows for a year or Cloud DVR+ $9.99 a month to store 100 shows for up to a year. (Pausing live TV is not offered yet on cloud DVR.)

4.) There is no contract or commitment at any time. (You can change plans) You can have traditional DVR, and Cloud DVR with the Xumo box, or both at the same time. (But there's no discount for taking both, unless some promotion comes out for customers.)

Satch

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,767 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Satch

I've included a couple links for reference:

XUMO STREAM BOX

Explore Spectrum TV App on Xumo Stream Box

Xumo is similar to a Roku, with the difference being that the Spectrum TV App (as well as other popular apps) is preloaded on the device. You would access your cable subscription in the same way you would access it on any other streaming device.

You can purchase the device from a retailer or you can purchase it from Spectrum. Spectrum purchase options include pay at once, or pay over time (like rent to own). You can also rent the device, similar to a cable box rental. If you rent the device, it can be replaced at any time, but you will pay the rental fee as long as you have the device on your account. If you purchase the device, it is considered yours and you would be responsible for replacing it, if it stops working.

• Korona165
    edited October 2023
    Options

I am looking forward to using the Xumo it's even going to save me some money on my bill from rental fees.

I do have a question with traditional DVR Cable Box's I pay maybe $13.00 just for DVR Service and $10.00 to rent the box. Using the Xumo is there a DVR Service fee on top of the $4.99 for Cloud DVR? Or is the $4.99 for Cloud DVR the price for everything or would I still have to pay a DVR Service fee? Something sounds to good to be true.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,767 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Korona165

DVR's have some additional functionality, including pausing live TV. At this time (meaning things can always change), Xumo works like other streaming devices including Roku and Apple TV and there are no additional fees like with a DVR rental. An active video subscription is required to access the channels on the TV app. Cloud DVR is an optional add on for either $4.99 or $9.99 a month, depending on storage. If I understand the question correctly, then yes, you can have Xumo and cloud DVR and it will be $4.99 (plus tax, etc) a month, in addition to your regular video subscription fees (plus the cost of the Xumo, depending on how you decide to buy or rent it).

EDIT: Cloud DVR for $4.99 is only available on streaming only video packages, for other video packages including Mi Latino or TV Select, you need to select Cloud DVR+ for $9.99 if you want to combine with traditional DVRs.

• Satch
    Options

Where can you buy an Xumo?

When I looked around at places like Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon, they had Xumos there. But it wasn't the same remote as the one that Spectrum has. This is why I was interested in a model number. If you buy your Xumo, do you have to call Spectrum to get it to activate with the app and your package? I assume yes, because Xumo to own, doesn't know that you are a CATV sub,

Satch

• NanaTC
    Options

My Xumo, (did the trial) is model SCX11BEI.

I'm thinking if you purchase one at a retail store when it detects Spectrum internet it automatically activates.

• Korona165
    edited October 2023
    Options

I added Cloud DVR how do you use it again. I can't get anything on the Xumo or Roku Spectrum TV Apps. I got it. Had to reboot the devices.

• Korona165
    Options

Well I chatted with Spectrum they added Cloud DVR. But when I got my confirmation email saying the changes made. I saw they added the Cloud DVR Plus(100 shows $9.99). So I chatted again to change the plan to Cloud DVR Regular(50 shows $4.99). I had no issues adding DVR(giving them money) but when I asked for the different type of DVR plan(taking money from them). I was told because I had no streaming package I could not do anything. I told them that I do have a Xumo that I got from Spectrum and I have Cloud DVR just the wrong one(pricing). They then said I have two cable boxes and I have to return them first. So they are what I say know if I change my plan they will be getting less money so they are going to make up any excuse to tell me why I can't. Or something else I think. They have no clue what they are doing and not listening to me. But they wished me a lovely day so I guess that made up for it. Whatever the point is the DVR(I don't really have or can't change remember) is not perfect. It's pretty good but the play back controls need work. If you're going to FF or RR a recorded show you first have to press OK then FF or RR and the picture doesn't move as your FF or RR. I might not keep it(if they can find it on my account). Is there any real Spectrum customer service members on here that can look at my account?

• Korona165
    edited October 2023
    Options

To other users of the Cloud DVR do you have issues with recordings not showing up in the DVR list of recordings? When I record a show on the Xumo the show doesn't show up in my DVR or lists or recordings. I have to either sign out of the Spectrum TV App and sign back in or restart the Xumo for the recordings to show(so I am kind of refreshing ing the App). This is not a issue on the Spectrum TV App on Roku only Xumo. I hope this will be fixed and not a issue.

• Korona165
    Options

Also anyone know if you can have two Xumos on your account? And if you can have the Spectrum TV App open and running on both at the same time?

• ltcolumbo0
    ltcolumbo0 Posts: 10 Participant
    Options

Not having dedicated playback buttons (pause/play and fast-forward and rewind buttons) is ludicrous. I am battling this with my Samsung TV remote and using the Spectrum App, and I absolutely hate it. Why would you not include something that has been around for decades, that people know and love, and makes these functions simple, quick, and easy to use. When I have to fast forward through commercials without thumbnails, constantly guessing where to stop, I don't want to have to push 2 buttons every time I want to fast-forward or rewind.

I blasted Spectrum support last week for several lacking functions in the Spectrum App and was hoping this new device would solve them, but it adds one more. 😖

Missing Spectrum TV App features on Roku Streaming Stick 4K and Samsung TV: Surround sound, Live TV player controls (pause, rewind/forward), Thumbnails for rewind/forward

• Satch
    Options

Xumo Feedback,

It appears that the number one complaint against the Xumo (with cloud DVR added as an option) is the lack of the ability to pause live TV, which is critical. The good news is that the Xumo is a new technology and hopefully this feature will be added ASAP to give Xumo a critical feature that competitive steaming devices have had for years. Remember that Spectrum staff are using this device as well, so I am sure everybody wants this feature!

It is unfortunate that the Spectrum's design team is not customer facing because if they were that could really help. But the more requests that they get for a feature in feedback, the more likely it will be added! It seems that everyone wants Xumo to pause live TV, with cloud DVR, like a regular DVR does.

Satch

• Korona165
    Options

I bet in time a new upgraded remote will come out for purchase.

• Larry
    Larry Posts: 5 Participant
    Options

I got the Xumo sreaming box. Very easy to set up. However, I cannot find a way to add my favorite apps to the Home Page. I would like to have all my apps on the Home Page just like in Roku. Plus on Roku you can rearrange the apps in the order your want. Also I cannot find a way to delete the pre-installed apps showing on the Home Page like Netflix, Disney+, Peacock, Discovry+, etc. since I have no intention of subscribing to these channels. If there is no way to do this, then will go back to using Roku and return the Spectrum Stream Box.

• NanaTC
    Options

No there isn't a way to rearrange or delete/uninstall apps.

I've already had to go back to my Roku as my primary device because the Xumo doesn't have several apps I use.

This discussion has been closed.