Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Spectrum TV app with Roku goes black random times while watching - RESOLVED

Answers

• Stevehoskins
    Stevehoskins Posts: 3 Spectator

Same issue with the screen just going black on Spectrum app. Also, DVRed shows randomly "pause" and you have to hit FF to get them going again. Very annoying! All of this started mid to late November 2023.

• Bynki1
    Bynki1 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited December 2023

This is DEFINITELY an issue with the Spectrum app ! - I will hit the OK button (you know the one that KEEPS POPPING UP when they think no one is watching) - Then go on my way of doing things - It can be as random as the next time I am in that room again, or 4x later, but the screen goes black - There is NOT the 4 hr time for me to have missed (At first that is what I thought, so started to pay more attention) - I have also done ALL the "suggested steps" - It's NOT US, or ROUTER or the TV - It's the SPECTRUM APP ! WHAT is so difficult to admit ?? It just started happening within the last month - Random times throughout the day - I deliberately had another channel on watching 48 Hours (the ROKU app channel), and that channel was on for over 7-8 hrs with NO ISSUES at all - We ALL have our reasons for having a TV on - We don't need to have to keep checking & repeating steps that CLEARLY will NOT FIX the main issue !! Just get someone to FIX IT ALREADY !

• kevin4336
    kevin4336 Posts: 1 Newcomer

happened at 6 pm then 6 am exactly

• Jpdewar
    Jpdewar Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited December 2023

Why does my spectrum app go black at 10:35pm and at 10:35am?

• myronf
    myronf Posts: 3 Spectator

Same problem here. The tv goes black and sound goes away twice per day for the 3 wks or so. If I hit the right button on the Roku, the picture and sound come back. Don't tell me to reboot as I have numerous times.

• Hoco
    Hoco Posts: 3 Spectator
    edited December 2023

Having the same issue. Chatted with someone who did some updating and rebooting to try to fix today. It did not work. This is a Spectrum issue.

• Thewiz
    Thewiz Posts: 1 Newcomer

I’m having the same issues on multiple Rokus. It has happened at least 3 times before 6:00 am. I just rebooted the Roku. I will see how it works. I agree that this is definitely a Spectrum issue.

• JFLeath
    JFLeath Posts: 1 Newcomer

I keep having the same issue with all my Rokus using the Spectrum App. It does not happen with any other app like Netflix or YoutubeTV. I tried restarting the modem and the Roku and the problem persists. This is Spectrum's default solution to any problem that crops up rather than addressing it.

• knowhow55
    knowhow55 Posts: 4 Spectator

Issue is random.

Pushing the right arrow then ok will bring back the guide and start the channel again.

Very annoying - only happening on Spectrum app.

No connectivity issues.

Have reinstalled app.

How do I fix this issue or is it a programming issue with the app?

Thank-you

Kevin

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 5,087 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited December 2023

Updated 12/6/23

Everyone,

I have reached out to the app team, provided detailed descriptions of this reported issue and they are currently investigating.

I will provide additional updates when they become available.

In the meantime, others have posted that selecting the back button restores the programming stream.

Thanks for your patience.

• MitWeot
    MitWeot Posts: 1 Newcomer

Same issue for several weeks with me. The screen just goes black. I cannot believe everyone in this forum is experiencing “connectivity issues.” It’s an app issue. Clearly.

• MVM
    MVM Posts: 14 Participant
    edited December 2023

Yes this is a problem. We tried EVERYTHING, factory resets, bought a new TV, a new ROKU, etc. all started mod November 2023. This is a problem. I am using google mesh if that matters.

Please update ASAP, on way to buy new mesh. Trying everything

My Vizio and Sony both crash

Also, 30+ devices on same wifi, no problems whatsoever, only the Spectrum Roku app, I called tech support, just restarted wifi, didnt fix.

Can we revert back to the prior build before 11.2.0? Had that for YEARS and NEVER had an issue.

• Eric_B
    Eric_B Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited December 2023

Please correct this issue with the Spectrum App and stop referring back to the same comment that it is a router issue. I know for a fact that it's not a router issue. This issue occurs on all of my Roku TVs and my router is just fine.

• MVM

Spectrum, please provide an update ASAP, Started Youtube tv trial, no problems, will have to switch soon, thanks MM

• James_M
    edited December 2023

Updated 12/7/23

Everyone,

The app team has reached out to our team and they are planning to release an update that will fix this issue in the very near future. I will provide an additional update when the app update is available.

In the meantime, others have posted that selecting the back button restores the programming stream.

Thanks again for your patience, and thank you to everyone who has brought this issue to our attention so it can be resolved.

• MVM

wow, thanks!

• KFenter
    KFenter Posts: 9 Participant

I am having the same issues as all the commenter's. It is a Spectrum issue. I did not know this in the beginning because my tv was older and having missing pixels in a line at the top of the screen I assumed it was the tv. We bought a new one and I was pissed when it happened again !! I think we are owed a pro-rated refund for their ineptitude to upgrade a system.

• MVM
    edited December 2023

I know, we bought a new Roku for $25, new TV and soundbar for $1,000, and new wifi pucks for $300. Our equipment was a few years old but still worked fine with everything else, UGH!!!!!!

• Hoco

Mine is doing the same thing. It looks like more people are reporting the issue. You would think it would be figured out by now. Mine started a couple of weeks ago. Super annoying!

• Hoco

The back button takes you back to the channel but the issue still there. Mine was doing it about every 4 hours. Today it was within 2 hours. Hope that update is soon.

• MVM

Interesting that you have all Spectrum equipment. They told me it was my equipment that was the problem. Can’t say that to you…….good reference point.

• James_M
    edited December 2023

Reposting yesterdays update. The app team is aware of this issue, has investigated and is finalizing an update that will resolve this issue. I will add a new post when the update is available.

Thanks for your patience.

• MVM

Hey, Can you please give us some background on this, did it effect everyone using the app or only specific equipment? Thanks MM

• James_M

@MVM

Unfortunately, there is no additional information available at this time.

• MMiller12
    MMiller12 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited December 2023

I am having this same issue on Roku using the spectrum app and in addition, every show recorded using my spectrum cloud dvr service randomly freezes or goes black while in the middle of playback. Occasionally it will buffer with no result until I hit the back arrow, but mostly it just freezes or goes black. Hitting the arrow does not work to resolve and fast forward and rewind are not functioning once it freezes. Quiting the app and returning to Home Screen, restarting the app and restarting playback of the same show also does not fix. It will still freeze at same time stamp once this initially happens. I tried to outsmart it and fast forward quickly once it restarts and before it freezes at the initial timestamp and it will playback a few seconds and freeze at a new timestamp. Removing app, rebooting Roku and reinstalling app is also not a fix. Rebooting modem, not a fix. I have a google mesh system because I was told my spectrum equipment was my issue in the past for service interruptions. paid $400 for my own equipment, this is definitely a spectrum app issue.. No other issues on other streaming services. I can watch the same show through spectrum on demand without the issue but prefer to watch my recording for fast forward capabilities, which also indicates it’s not a router issue. Upsetting that I pay for this service and it’s not working properly. This issue started this week for me and happens on both my televisions with Roku devices.

• JimInSATx
    JimInSATx Posts: 2 Spectator

Have same problem on three Roku's in my house. As mentioned, hitting Right-arrow and going to the Guide will restore the channel. But, if you're in the kitchen with your hands full that doesn't help much during a critical sports play or event..!?

• JimInSATx
    JimInSATx Posts: 2 Spectator

PS- to previous comment.... I don't use a Spectrum wifi router. I use an ASUS wifi-router; that works fine. If the Spectrum app cuts out on my Roku; I'm STILL able to use my laptop totally uninterrupted.

• Starczar
    Starczar Posts: 1 Newcomer

Same black screen problem with my Roku. Happens randomly and started recently. In the last two months I have submitted 2 tickets for other Spectrum app issues on watching the app on my iPad. They finally resolved the issue, but for quite some time the default position was to reinstall the app, which I did frequently to no avail. They finally took it seriously after several calls and generated a ticket. This has to be one of the worst streaming apps.

This discussion has been closed.