Upgraded to Gig Internet, quite disappointed for gaming

Options
kahlon
kahlon Posts: 3 Spectator
edited March 15 in Gaming & Gaming Related

I recently upgraded my spectrum Internet plan from the base plan of 250 MB down to gig Internet and realized that I had a better connection through Wi-Fi with my old Internet. when the new Internet is working, I do have really low ping but every couple seconds I have a spike where it goes from 20 ping to 200 300 150 and I really can’t get any consistent experience. I always played on a PS5 and with the base plan I would have a consistent 50-60 ping with download speeds of 150mb down through wifi, when i test the gig it only gives me 10-50 mbs down! I am super disappointed. Is there anyway to fix this? No point in spending an extra 50 a month for a worse product.

Best Answer

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,085 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @kahlon, welcome to our community!

Faster speed generally will not help with online gaming. It will let you download and patch games faster, but actual play uses very little bandwidth. I don't usually recommend upgrading speed for game performance reasons, unless we believe the cause is other devices in your home downloading.

It is still concerning your speeds are so much lower than what you subscribe to, both ping spikes and slow speeds might have the same root cause. Have you tested your speed on any other devices? Can you try connecting a device with an ethernet cable and see if the issues persists?

Answers

• kahlon
    Options

Is it wont possible to route ethernet because I’m upstair. One my phone and laptop I get 20 ping with 1000 down :/ I’m sure that ethernet would fix the issue but its just not possible for me because the location of the modem and router. I’m just confused why my old internet is better. Thank you for the response William!

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,085 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited January 6
    Options

It sounds like the issue is a poor WiFi connection upstairs. With your speed results you are most likely on 2.4Ghz WiFi which is very prone to radio interference causing problems such as speed drops or ping spikes. For faster speeds and a more stable connection you need to be on 5Ghz but that has shorter range and is more easily obstructed. WiFi broadcasts most strongly horizontally, and the separation between floors is usually very dense, so this is not an uncommon issue in multi-level dwellings.

You might have had a different router before, it was positioned differently, more of your neighbors have WiFi causing interference, or you have more devices in your home emitting their own radio signals causing interference. I highly recommend considering running an ethernet cable upstairs, setting up your PS5 downstairs, or we can move the modem and router upstairs for a one time charge. You could hire your own electrician to run ethernet wiring through the walls.

If none of those are options, you can get a pod or two and try to bounce the signal up through the stairway, or you could get your own router. Some routers are more focused on maximizing WiFi range than ours, and have antenna that you can adjust the direction of, but as a gamer myself I never recommend playing online using WiFi if it can be avoided.

• kahlon
    Options

Thank you for the insight, I’m looking into a “MOCA” adapter and using existing coax infrastructure to get a wired connection for my Playstation in my room. I’ll let you know how it goes!

This discussion has been closed.