Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

What happened to residential IPv6 connectivity?

fmouse
fmouse Posts: 32 Contributor
edited August 5 in Home Networking

For several years I was obtaining both an IPv4 and an IPv6 address from Spectrum on connecting with our residential service. I had a v6 VPN set up to my server, which had assigned me a routed /56 block which I subnetted for v6 addresses for our home/SOHO network.

Sometime last year I stopped receiving an assigned IPv6 address from Spectrum, only a v4 address, so the VPN no longer works, and our v6 LAN became strictly independent, disconnected from the larger Internet.

Was this due to a change in Spectrum's policy? I read somewhere that Spectrum now only assigns a v4 OR a v6 address to residential accounts. is this true? I only know that if I look at the interface assigned by Spectrum now there is NO v6 address, only a v4 address assigned by Spectrum's DHCP server, although our gateway/NAT box is configured to request BOTH.

Do I have to upgrade to "business class" Internet to get our v6 connection to the Internet back?

Tagged:

Comments

• RAIST515O
    RAIST515O Posts: 194 Contributor

I don't have a need for v6 yet... all the games and such still use v4 addressing and all, so I keep it off. Only turn it on now and then to test something.

Passthrough no longer worked last time I tinkered with it.

Native with /56 and /64 requests worked fine though.

The modem itself reports v6 only mode, but I do still have a working v4 address... and I can tunnel into my home network across that address.

This discussion has been closed.