Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Is there a reason why the weather channel in the North Texas area no longer shows local weather?

motorola870
motorola870 Posts: 57 Contributor
edited August 23 in Channels and Programming

Some months back the weather channel switched to showing a national feed in the Dallas area instead of local information.

The particular local office feed I was getting featured local cities of: Arlington, Bedford and Grand Prairie fed off of the Arlington Hub.

Is there anyway the local on the 8s data can be restored in the metro area?

Answers

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,668 Contributor

Good Afternoon,

The Weather Channel, like all networks on Spectrum's system (and any other vendor,) is solely responsible for programing. Spectrum has no control over the programing that they show.

You can reach out to them, indicating that your local weather for Texas on your TV is wrong. You will need to mention your local city, and zip code, that Spectrum is your service provider, how you access Spectrum's Weather Channel (Are the local forecasts wrong on the TV, the website, or both? )

Via Google Search, Weather Channel can be emailed here: feedback@weather.com

I have added a file showing additional Weather Channel contact information:

Satch

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 911 Contributor
    edited July 2

Edit: Just curious if that's via cable TV set-top box or streaming. I don't know if or when it may have changed but all i can figure so far is that streaming The Weather Channel any which way is no more localized than via the The Weather Channel app itself and, if that's the case, then i guess that The Weather Group, LLC has for streamers to use the Local Now app in lieu of The Weather Channel for local weather (among all kinds of stuff.)

🔗 https://localnow.com/about

• catchtwentytwo
    catchtwentytwo Posts: 169 Contributor

Here in southwestern Connecticut, Local on the Eights is correct with our STB but on the Spectrum App, only national is available.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,668 Contributor

Here in southwestern Connecticut, Local on the Eights is correct with
    our STB but on the Spectrum App, only national is available.

This is good to know!

I wonder if this varies by individual location, or if everyone gets local weather on the boxes, and national weather on other devices? @motorola870, is this happening to you on a box where the location is wrong? Or on the Spectrum app, or another device?

I am not sure, but it is possible that this decision could be related to each individual node, as well as the equipment being used. For instance, do the XUMO streaming boxes stream local weather on weather channel on the eighths? Or does that vary by location? Or they don't do it at all? Does each node serviced by Spectrum made a decision to broadcast weather channel's weather locally. I wonder if this is also related to bandwidth capacity per node?

Satch

• motorola870
    motorola870 Posts: 57 Contributor
    edited July 3

The lack of local on the 8s is affecting cable boxes and the streaming app. They actually had the local data on the app before they pulled the plug completely. It seems like it's just a national feed with ad inserts for Spectrum.

Local on the 8s is based on a computer at the hub or headend level. It's not decided at the node level. Bandwidth used is the same with or without the local data insertion.

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 911 Contributor

So you were getting both the localized crawler and the Local on the 8s via both cable TV and stream before the high split upgrade started in North Texas and now you're getting neither via either, or what?

This discussion has been closed.