Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Cloud DVR deletes ABC network recordings due to FCC Non Duplication rules

GaryGo
GaryGo Posts: 16 Participant
edited September 27 in Spectrum Archives: 2020 - Present

"We apologize for the inconvenience, this program as been deleted per FCC Non Duplication rules."

Has anyone been having this problem (Spectrum, Rochester, NY)? The cloud DVR system allows me to schedule recordings of ABC network national programs, but when I try to play back, the blue-background message (shown above) appears. This has happened with World News Tonight (6/29) and Good Morning America (this morning, July 1, 2024). WNT worked ok on 6/30.

I talked to a Spectrum support rep on Saturday 6/29 and he said the Spectrum recommendation is for me to call the FCC Support line. But if Spectrum customers can no longer record ABC programs to the cloud, Spectrum should be talking to the FCC. Either that, or this is a Spectrum software bug. It is conceivable after the three-month bug during which DVR billing was waived due to system failures, that this is actually a Spectrum error. I will call the FCC number, but I worry that they will tell me it's Spectrum's fault.

Best Answers

• GaryGo
    Answer ✓

RESOLVED!

I don't know the exact issue, but it was a Spectrum software/data issue with the app and/or cloud DVR. Clearly, it helped to contact the FCC and file the complaint, but of course, my issue showed an FCC error, so it was relevant for me to do that. I don't know how many customers were affected. All in all, this was a pretty timely fix.

If you are still having an issue, try:
    Delete scheduled recordings. You do not need to delete old recordings, just delete the setup for future recordings.
    Log out of all devices (streaming boxes, browsers, phone app).

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,291 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @GaryGo! Thanks for taking the time to follow up with us. It's wonderful to see the issue was resolved. I'm so sorry it was such a process to get it fixed, we appreciate your patience.

Answers

• GaryGo

I called the FCC support line. This was productive. The agent promised to submit an escalated incident from inside the FCC, and suggested that I file a consumer complaint (fcc.gov/complaints). I filed the complaint. In my case, the complaint is specific to the Spectrum cloud DVR service. As of July 1 evening, I still cannot watch cloud DVR recordings of ABC World News Tonight (but I can watch live via Roku/Xumo and the web). My guess is there is a bad Spectrum database setting somewhere that is triggering an incorrect response, for cloud DVR and for ABC.

I would love it if one of you committed warriors would record ABC World News Tonight at 6:30 pm, see the FCC error on playback, and call Spectrum support to complain. It would take a few minutes of your life, but I am not getting the impression Spectrum is getting the word on this. And there was an outage July 1 that appeared to be related to cloud DVR capacity, which was resolved a month ago but I guess it's still a problem (but this is NOT related to my FCC problem and would distract Spectrum).

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,665 Contributor

Thanks for reporting this! Sounds like the FCC was helpful!

What is your city, state,and zip code? Providing this can also see if this is an account issue, a node issue, or something system-wide. For the record, this is an inability to record National ABC content using Spectrum Cloud DVR service? One question that I have, is this just for ABC World News Tonight? Or are other national ABC programs affected by this as well? Also, what devices are you using? Such as the Spectrum app? The Xumo Streaming box? Thanks!

Satch

• GaryGo

First, today I have spoken to Spectrum Corporate "escalations" twice today. There was indeed a recent, semi-related cloud DVR issue. My issue is being investigated. Most recently "Samantha" if that means anything to you.

I am in Fairport, NY 14450. I can initiate cloud DVR recordings of ABC programs, and the recording icons show in my DVR library, but I cannot play them back (due to the FCC error on the screen). I have been recording ABC programming for months on the cloud DVR, no problems. I first noticed the FCC error on Saturday, 6/29. I have all-digital service (Spectrum app), via Roku, Xumo and Web (laptop). I have premium DVR (100 recordings). The FCC error for ABC programs happens on all three devices. I no longer have a hard cable box.

I see the playback problem on World News Tonight and Good Morning America. I tested an ABC golf program on Sunday and it worked OK. I have also tested on CBS, NBC, PBS and FOX, and all recordings play back with OK with no errors. MeTV also plays back OK.

BTW, I can play World News Tonight after a 24 hour waiting period on HULU on-demand. Spectrum on-demand does not include WNT. It is useless to play a day-old news broadcast, but I can do it on Hulu.

• GaryGo

FYI, on July 4 morning, Drew Barrymore played back OK, The View playback showed the FCC error.

• Mystify
    Mystify Posts: 1 Newcomer

Same issue here. I am using the app for cloud dvr. Only noticed it for General Hospital. I tried to record Good Morning America and that recorded fine. I am also in Rochester NY. Very frustrating dealing since March with the Cloud DVR issue now this.

• GaryGo

Yes, I also experienced the cloud DVR issue in March (server errors when trying to perform DVR actions). Spectrum claimed it affected a small number of customers, hard to believe unless the issue was literally limited to Fairport. (But we got two or three months of free DVR.) For me, this original issue is resolved. I had hoped that in the three months it to fix that, we'd get better DVR software, such as easier management of my recordings and better fast-forward, but no such luck. We use cloud DVR a lot, so if there's a problem I will eventually see it, which has led to my FCC complaint about playback of ABC recordings.

• jeffhunt38
    jeffhunt38 Posts: 2 Spectator

I just started experiencing with CBS nightly news (national program) on 7/4 using Spectrum App. Local news records fine. I can watch nightly news on the CBS News app but that only shows yesterday news and earlier. Spectrum does not have News 'On demand' so duplication message seems illogical. I'm in Binghamton NY, so the issue doesn't appear local to Rochester. I don't believe contacting FCC will bear fruit. This seems more like Spectrum implemented a change. I haven't called them yet to complain but intend to once I am calm.

• GaryGo

I was able to record and play back "CBS Evening News" using Spectrum app and cloud DVR on July 5. I can still play it back this morning July 6. And yeah, the CBS app and Paramount+ on-demand will be 24 hours delayed.

Spectrum originally recommended to me (June 29) to contact the FCC. The FCC recommended filing a complaint (filed July 1), and this has resulted in calls to me from Spectrum. I don't know what the technical problem is. My opinion is that it's a Spectrum issue with the app and cloud DVR, but I believe Spectrum is legitimately investigating my issue.

You should absolutely call in the problem to Spectrum. Spectrum needs to know their customers are unable to play back some cloud DVR recordings.

• jeffhunt38
    jeffhunt38 Posts: 2 Spectator

7/6, I called Spectrum and the tech agent did some research and "Spectrum is experiencing some recording issues". The agent said that although we see an FCC screen, it is not FCC related. The message should be something like 'we are experiencing technical difficulties'. ;-) There is no ETA for the fix and the agent assumes this is broad issue, not localized to New York State. For me, I get under a minute of a recording, then FCC screen replaces recording (no audio) for the duration of broadcast. The issue doesn't present for local news broadcasts on the same channel but does for a few national news broadcasts (CBS). I've not done extensive tests and I hope Spectrum overcomes the issue quickly.

• GaryGo

@William_M , it was fortunate for customers that the screen message referred to the FCC. The bug itself was probably not an actual FCC issue (more likely some random bug or data issue that triggered an unexpected message, but I don't have that detail). The FCC message allowed me to file an FCC complaint, which forced the timeliness of Spectrum's response. The Spectrum and FCC personnel, from start to finish, were very professional and we got it fixed.

This discussion has been closed.