Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Unknown Ping spikes around 8-9PM PST

Ghostie21
Ghostie21 Posts: 13 Participant
edited October 13 in Gaming and Gaming Related

Hi guys! I’ve been having issues with my internet for a while now, I’ve had a technician come out few days ago to check if my signal levels were fine, which they were. I was told it was my router (ASUS rt-ax82u) which was the cause of the ping spikes.

So I headed to the store and bought a new router (ASUS rt-be88u) and unfortunately, the ping spikes still continue around the same time frame, at first I thought it was a discord server issue but realized it was happening on all my applications.

I’m am using the Spectrum Modem. The 2.5G version. (Not the one affected by the puma chipset bug)

I’ve replaced all my cables, and I’m on wired, is their anything I can do?

Could it be the modem itself and might be failing? (Overheating?) or something else entirely.

Notes on the screenshots: (Connected to different servers to see if it was a discord issue or a spectrum issue, or something else)

If theirs a customer modem that would recommend to troubleshooting specific issues like these, what would be recommended?

TLDR: - Signal levels were reported fine but technician.

-tech said router was the issue which was replaced, problems still occur.

-ping spikes last around 5-10 mins

Comments

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 817 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hello @Ghostie21

I'm sorry to hear about the ongoing issues with the ping. Are you using a device like a desktop/laptop computer or a mobile device/tablet? If it is a desktop or laptop, are you able to run a traceroute when the ping issues are happening? This will show the path that your connection is taking and give us some information on the different stops along the way so we can see where the latency is originating from.